• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

CheeseNoMayo

Evening,
Has anyone else recently applied for the York signaller role that closed on the 02/02? Has anyone heard anything in relation to an interview at all?
I applied for this too, I did some online tests on 18th Jan, got an email on Friday saying I’d passed them. The email I got on Friday said that I should hear back regarding an interview 2 weeks after the application closes so 16/2.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wales82

I applied for this too, I did some online tests on 18th Jan, got an email on Friday saying I’d passed them. The email I got on Friday said that I should hear back regarding an interview 2 weeks after the application closes so 16/2.
Hi, I got the same email as you so hopefully get an update this week.

Seanymoz

Good evening, do those starting IST on 27th Feb have their travel and accommodation sorted yet? I had an email back from rosters today asking me where I would like to stay, just wondering where others were staying?

Open_G

Good evening, do those starting IST on 27th Feb have their travel and accommodation sorted yet? I had an email back from rosters today asking me where I would like to stay, just wondering where others were staying?
Not a bean heard from anyone re IST after my initial recruitment emails.

GeordieO

Are you going to the IST in York? Mainly Park Inn for me.

Hi guys would any one be able to tell me the shift pattern at Wooley signal box near Barnsley?Thank you in advance for your help.

I can’t remember the exact pattern but Woolley works 0630-1430 and 1430-2230 Monday to Saturday. It’s closed Sundays and nights unless required for engineering or diversions.

Last edited by a moderator:
You’d be better asking signalling questions in the Career as a Signaller thread.

I can’t remember the exact pattern but Woolley works 0630-1430 and 1430-2230 Monday to Saturday. It’s closed Sundays and nights unless required for engineering or diversions.
Hi Mate thank you so much for your reply.

Casper23

Hi All, new to the forum was told by a friend to join. Can't believe I dint know about this forum any sooner! I have applied for the role as a signaller and would like to know a bit more about the role from people who are currently in this role or used to work as a signaller. Also, I see that there is a new virtual assessment. Has anyone done this and what is your experience with this. Also, what kind of questions would the interview involve. I know there must be tons of messages about this so I will put on my reading glasses and have a scroll through now. There are so many pages and I am looking forward to reading them all! TIA

High Dyke

Established Member
@Casper23 Welcome. There's plenty of content in this thread, but a bit long-winded.

There is no such thing as a typical day as a signaller. Timetables change, seasons change, trains and equipment can break and circumstances change. Large parts of the rail network are very old and require maintenance. As a signaller, you can’t plan for a points failure or disruptive passengers delaying trains. So it’s a job where you very much have to be on your toes and ready to react to any incident or situation that may unfold.

Attention to detail and also maintaining concentration for long periods of time are a couple of key things. It depends where you may be working, and how busy the signal box is.

Canonite

Hi All, new to the forum was told by a friend to join. Can't believe I dint know about this forum any sooner! I have applied for the role as a signaller and would like to know a bit more about the role from people who are currently in this role or used to work as a signaller. Also, I see that there is a new virtual assessment. Has anyone done this and what is your experience with this. Also, what kind of questions would the interview involve. I know there must be tons of messages about this so I will put on my reading glasses and have a scroll through now. There are so many pages and I am looking forward to reading them all! TIA
Aside from this whole thread, the Network Rail Careers site and YouTube channel has lots of information on it to digest. There are also some Zoom calls with Signallers on there from a lockdown Facebook livestream, so that also gives you an insight from actual Signallers too. That will get you off to a good start as sometimes reading this thread can give you loads of questions and doesn’t make much sense until you learn more. Good luck

12LDA28C

Established Member
Just out of interest so signallers get free train travel like other rail employees

No, not unless you've been employed since BR days.

New entrants to the signalling grade are employed by Network Rail and would not get free leisure travel although you might get some kind of residential pass to enable you to travel to and from work. I believe NR staff are in the process of being offered heavily-discounted travel as per non-protected TOC employees, but not free.

You would need to apply to work for a TOC to get totally free travel and even that would only be on that TOC's trains, plus maybe those operated by the owning group (Arriva, First Group etc depending on your employer)

SuperS16v

Just sat the AON tests.

I thought they went ok. The Risk & Safety Behavioral Questionnaire was not what I expected at all, not sure how I felt about it! A very odd set of questions that made no sense to me.

Does anyone know if this is pass / fail or if it’s just used for interview?

jayafc

It’s part of the pay deal that we’re currently in dispute about
, when that gets sorted is anyone’s guess
Is the dispute still going on with signallers then. I thought I read somewhere they accepted a pay offer.

I really appreciate everyone’s help by the way.

WoollyMammoth

Is the dispute still going on with signallers then. I thought I read somewhere they accepted a pay offer.

I really appreciate everyone’s help by the way.
Signallers (Ops) and Maintenance are tied in together and the offer hasn’t been accepted. Management grades have accepted their deal so perhaps syngas what you’re thinking of!

Regarding the discounted travel that’s up for negotiation it is only for leisure travel. For commuting to work there is already a discounted season ticket option.

jayafc

Does that mean the salary is still under review. It did make me wonder as the salary hasn’t seem to have changed for a few years

nom de guerre

Regarding the discounted travel that’s up for negotiation it is only for leisure travel. For commuting to work there is already a discounted season ticket option.

Work travel has also featured in the negotiations as the most recent offers have included a proposal to abolish the existing price cap on discounted season tickets (currently £2750/pa, IIRC).

SuperS16v

Just sat the AON tests.

I thought they went ok. The Risk & Safety Behavioral Questionnaire was not what I expected at all, not sure how I felt about it! A very odd set of questions that made no sense to me.

Does anyone know if this is pass / fail or if it’s just used for interview?

Just received my pass email! Now waiting for the scenario and live interview stage

Canonite

It is scored but they will only give either a pass or fail mark.
The Scenario Assessment is fun and the live interview was actually really good.

WoollyMammoth

Work travel has also featured in the negotiations as the most recent offers have included a proposal to abolish the existing price cap on discounted season tickets (currently £2750/pa, IIRC).
Ah yes that’s a good point! Wasn’t there also a mention of a promise to try to extend the options for leisure to include Eurostar etc!
Does that mean the salary is still under review. It did make me wonder as the salary hasn’t seem to have changed for a few years
Yes no pay rise as yet, no change since 2020. There’s also proposals to bring in new starters at lower grades, Grade 2 for training school, Grade 4 for learning on the job (unless the location is lower than that)

jayafc

Ah yes that’s a good point! Wasn’t there also a mention of a promise to try to extend the options for leisure to include Eurostar etc!

Yes no pay rise as yet, no change since 2020. There’s also proposals to bring in new starters at lower grades, Grade 2 for training school, Grade 4 for learning on the job (unless the location is lower than that)
Thats good news then. I am looking at grade 2 jobs. From what I understand they are the quiet boxes so I was wondering what signallers do to pass the time during their shift. I’ve heard about radios but I assume phones are a big no no.