• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

simon369

Hello,

I am on the assesment stage of my application and just noticed that a book / rebook interview button has appeared on the page even though it still shows as assesment. I did the online tests last week. Does anybody know if this is a good sign and I am going to be invited for a interview or does it appear for everybody?

Thanks

Jamdidi

Your British Signalling Guide on YouTube was such a great resource for me going into IST - sincere thanks and great to see you coming into the grade!
Thanks for this tip. I just jumped through the final hoop (Medical) and hope to get that unconditional offer and confirmed start date very soon

Just curious what you guys opinion on this is, I got offered a role as Grade 2 crossing keeper starting in July, I applied mainly due to being fed up in my current job and wanting a change. I have plans for next year to leave everything and go travelling for a few months/possibly years depending on visas etc. if I put at least a year in this role would it be enough not to throw up any red flags if I applied again in the future? I understand it can be quite competitive to get in and I don’t want to ruin my chances in the future should I apply again when I’m back and got it all out of my system.

DanL

Hi Guys
First post... Have applied for the greater manchester and high peaks G2 signaller vacancy.
I have passed the assessments and i am awaiting to hear if i get an interview.
Was hoping on some knowledge on overtime and sunday working in this area, are the boxes open 24/7 etc??? Also do you think i would do the IST in salford for this position as i would not be able to do it at york as on a residential course. Also Would they honour any holidays booked before starting?? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Did you hear back about interview yet? I’m in the same position.

Jimbo9999

Hi thank you for previous replies, just a quick question regarding pay during training and passing out your box. Is the pay the same or is it at a lower rate during the training periods? Many thanks

crunchy potato

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster, can anybody tell me how long the onboarding process takes? I've been given a provisional start date for 2nd May to start in sleaford area as grade 2 signaller, I've passed my medical, I've passed all other checks, but still waiting on that unconditional offer and confirmed start date. Starting to worry because I need to hand my notice into my current employer soon but not wanting to until its fully confirmed.

Thanks in advance.

Frothy_B

Just curious what you guys opinion on this is, I got offered a role as Grade 2 crossing keeper starting in July, I applied mainly due to being fed up in my current job and wanting a change. I have plans for next year to leave everything and go travelling for a few months/possibly years depending on visas etc. if I put at least a year in this role would it be enough not to throw up any red flags if I applied again in the future? I understand it can be quite competitive to get in and I don’t want to ruin my chances in the future should I apply again when I’m back and got it all out of my system.
Obviously it's your life to live and your choice, but if I were you I would withdraw this time and try again when you're back from your travelling.

That said, there are plenty of people on this thread who talk of getting a higher grade position shortly after, or even during their training which then leaves the LOM in the same position as you are planning to, needing to hire someone again after a relatively short space of time. Opinion seems to be quite split on that.

For what it's worth, I'm also in a job I've had enough of, a job that takes me away from home and I've wanted to get out since my daughter was born. In 2021 I applied for a Grade 6 role. I got rejected for that, but was asked to apply for a Grade 3 position at the same place, where I was offered an interview. I jumped at it, so concerned was I about getting out of my current job. As I had time to consider the financial side of things, I realised I couldn't afford to drop down to a Grade 3 at that time, so I had to withdraw. Now, 2 years later, if all goes well at interview I may finally get in. It was rough having to turn down the other role, but sometimes leaving for the sake of leaving isn't the answer.

I would assume if you're thinking of going travelling for months/years that you're still quite young. The jobs will still be here when you get back, if signalling or the railway are still what you want to do in the future. There's a light at the end of your tunnel with your current job anyway with your travelling, so I would just slug it out there untill you go, leave the G2 role for someone else who's looking at starting their career rather than just a stop-gap.

However, someone with more inside knowledge than me might be able to tell you how long you need to be employed for to qualify for a Career Break, or if Network Rail allow them. It would mean your travelling would be more rigid with a start and end point, but there would be a job for you when you came back. None of this message is intended to be critical of you by the way, just giving my opinion based on how I view the world I guess.

WoollyMammoth

This is entirely your decision but if that is your only concern and you want my opinion I personally wouldn’t consider dropping out of the job. Presuming you’ll be on a 12 hour roster you will have plenty of time and opportunities to squeeze in travel. It’s a golden opportunity at (I’m going to make a guess here) a relatively young age. I’m afraid I can’t offer any advice on a career break as I’ve never looked into it, but you might be able to use that option, or similarly take a 3 month period of unpaid leave or at the very worst I believe you can buy a certain amount of extra leave.

Again this depends on other things, whether you believe you’ll get fed up and if so how quickly?

nc1873

I’m interested in peoples thoughts about the following.

I attended and passed signalling school recently. My role required it. I’m not a signaller

In that time I’ve enjoyed doing a variety of things for my role.

As the months and now years pass my head keeps getting turned at the potential idea of actually signalling full time. I’ve always maintained I didn’t think shift work would fit into my personal life but the more people I speak too the more I think i could make it work.

When I read this thread too and I see so many people commenting on their excitement at attending signalling school, how difficult it is to make through but how rewarding it is when you do pass. Being fair it is also noticeable how disappointed people are at not making interviews or passing exams too.

This does makes me realise how lucky I am to have attended IST and passed and I don’t take that for granted.

Im also very aware even though I passed IST it doesn’t mean I’m a guaranteed to get a role if I did apply somewhere. There would still be a lot of preparation for myself, if not more as I would fully expect rule questions at any interview.

If there any advice anyone could offer it would be great to hear it.

Benjiw17

I've been offered a grade 3 at Crediton, Just curious as to what the shift pattern is likely to look like roughly? Not looking for an exact copy, just something to get my head around...

Gartcosh

I've been offered a grade 3 at Crediton, Just curious as to what the shift pattern is likely to look like roughly? Not looking for an exact copy, just something to get my head around.C
Crediton is on a 12hr roster working either 0700-1900 days or 1900-0700 nights (although staff normally change over around 0645 and 1845 to avoid changing when trains are present at Crediton.
Safety Brief Days and LOM Days (Day with Manager) are 07hrs long, one of each every 10 week cycle.
There are also a couple of spare turns every five weeks, either Monday & Tuesday, or Friday & Saturday during each 10 week cycle.
There are five resident positions that staff the box, supported by a number of relief who also work other locations too.

Crediton is a busy box to work, more so now the Okehampton line is running at one train per hour, and can it get busy at times (particularly around harvest time) as there are numerous crossings used by farmers on both the North Devon (Barnstaple) Line and the Devon & Cornwall (Okehampton) Line.

Last edited:
This is entirely your decision but if that is your only concern and you want my opinion I personally wouldn’t consider dropping out of the job. Presuming you’ll be on a 12 hour roster you will have plenty of time and opportunities to squeeze in travel. It’s a golden opportunity at (I’m going to make a guess here) a relatively young age. I’m afraid I can’t offer any advice on a career break as I’ve never looked into it, but you might be able to use that option, or similarly take a 3 month period of unpaid leave or at the very worst I believe you can buy a certain amount of extra leave.

Again this depends on other things, whether you believe you’ll get fed up and if so how quickly?
Thanks for the response. I’ll definitely have to see how things work out with the roster and if I can work around it with the travel stuff, I’m not thrilled about leaving so soon and would definitely rather try and balance the work with travel. I’m mid 20s and currently working the only job I’ve ever had, getting this fed up has come after 8 years in the exact same role with little progress and rubbish pay (kitchen work) so I don’t think that’ll be an issue with this job!

Obviously it's your life to live and your choice, but if I were you I would withdraw this time and try again when you're back from your travelling.

That said, there are plenty of people on this thread who talk of getting a higher grade position shortly after, or even during their training which then leaves the LOM in the same position as you are planning to, needing to hire someone again after a relatively short space of time. Opinion seems to be quite split on that.

For what it's worth, I'm also in a job I've had enough of, a job that takes me away from home and I've wanted to get out since my daughter was born. In 2021 I applied for a Grade 6 role. I got rejected for that, but was asked to apply for a Grade 3 position at the same place, where I was offered an interview. I jumped at it, so concerned was I about getting out of my current job. As I had time to consider the financial side of things, I realised I couldn't afford to drop down to a Grade 3 at that time, so I had to withdraw. Now, 2 years later, if all goes well at interview I may finally get in. It was rough having to turn down the other role, but sometimes leaving for the sake of leaving isn't the answer.

I would assume if you're thinking of going travelling for months/years that you're still quite young. The jobs will still be here when you get back, if signalling or the railway are still what you want to do in the future. There's a light at the end of your tunnel with your current job anyway with your travelling, so I would just slug it out there untill you go, leave the G2 role for someone else who's looking at starting their career rather than just a stop-gap.

However, someone with more inside knowledge than me might be able to tell you how long you need to be employed for to qualify for a Career Break, or if Network Rail allow them. It would mean your travelling would be more rigid with a start and end point, but there would be a job for you when you came back. None of this message is intended to be critical of you by the way, just giving my opinion based on how I view the world I guess.
Thanks for replying. I think I’m just gonna see how it works out and still take the job, but I’m not gonna jump at the chance to leave after a year and will put in a good amount of time. I’ll see if I can work with the schedule/still satisfy travel wants as that’s ideal really, this is the second job I’ll ever have as a mid 20s guy and the need for change from my current role is coming after 8 years of 50hr weeks and barely making ends meet, I was over the moon when I got offered the grade 2 role and can’t imagine withdrawing now!

Last edited:

Benjiw17

That's perfect, thank you! I do 07:00 - 19:00's now, so was hoping it was something similar! Medical is next week, and then waiting on a date!

Crediton is on a 12hr roster working either 0700-1900 days or 1900-0700 nights (although staff normally change over around 0645 and 1845 to avoid changing when trains are present at Crediton.
Safety Brief Days and LOM Days (Day with Manager) are 07hrs long, one of each every 10 week cycle.
There are also a couple of spare turns every five weeks, either Monday & Tuesday, or Friday & Saturday during each 10 week cycle.
There are five resident positions that staff the box, supported by a number of relief who also work other locations too.

Crediton is a busy box to work, more so now the Okehampton line is running at one train per hour, and can it get busy at times (particularly around harvest time) as there are numerous crossings used by farmers on both the North Devon (Barnstaple) Line and the Devon & Cornwall (Okehampton) Line.
That's perfect, thank you! I do 07:00 - 19:00's now, so was hoping it was something similar! Medical is next week, and then waiting on a date!

HamSandwich

I attended and passed signalling school recently. My role required it. I’m not a signaller

As the months and now years pass my head keeps getting turned at the potential idea of actually signalling full time. I’ve always maintained I didn’t think shift work would fit into my personal life but the more people I speak too the more I think i could make it work.

When I read this thread too and I see so many people commenting on their excitement at attending signalling school, how difficult it is to make through but how rewarding it is when you do pass. Being fair it is also noticeable how disappointed people are at not making interviews or passing exams too.

This does makes me realise how lucky I am to have attended IST and passed and I don’t take that for granted.

Im also very aware even though I passed IST it doesn’t mean I’m a guaranteed to get a role if I did apply somewhere. There would still be a lot of preparation for myself, if not more as I would fully expect rule questions at any interview.

Go for it. You've nothing to lose by applying, and you've already passed IST. Best of luck :)

Csb362

You just need to go onto the internal jobs site and see how many signaller jobs are available along with what’s available externally to see that NWR are currently extremely low on signallers, the fact that you have already passed IST any LOM would be silly not to snap you up as it’s a much quicker and less expensive fix for them. The age profile across the country of signallers is also fairly high so dependent on your own age and aspirations there would be loads of opportunities for progression or potential overtime in your own location between retirements and filling vacancies. My advice is 100% go for it

GMan01

Hi there,

Is anyone else still waiting to find out offer of interview after online testing pass for Grade 2 Llandudno/Bangor/Holyhead?

Thanks.
Yeah..still waiting to see if I have been selected for interview. Passed online tests mid-March. They did ballmark that we should find out around March 30th so hopefully we will hear either way fairly soon.

nc1873

Go for it. You've nothing to lose by applying, and you've already passed IST. Best of luck :)
You just need to go onto the internal jobs site and see how many signaller jobs are available along with what’s available externally to see that NWR are currently extremely low on signallers, the fact that you have already passed IST any LOM would be silly not to snap you up as it’s a much quicker and less expensive fix for them. The age profile across the country of signallers is also fairly high so dependent on your own age and aspirations there would be loads of opportunities for progression or potential overtime in your own location between retirements and filling vacancies. My advice is 100% go for it

Thanks both.

Yeah I’ve seen lots of vacancies internally over the past 8 weeks for a variety of grades within an hours driving distance of me. Plus a lot more outwith to be fair but I’m not considering relocation.

Not quite as much externally suggesting a lot of internal shuffling about.

Over and above what I’ve said already Ive got a lot of respect for my current line manager and I consider myself quite a loyal person. So there’s that too but i get at times you need to do what you think is best for you.

Thanks again for the input.

SH89

Hello all, I’ve just made an internal move, grade 3 to grade 5. I’m currently awaiting to be released from my old role into the new role.

Does anybody have any guidance on when I’ll receive the new salary? Is it upon starting training at the new box, or after passing out?

Slow Seline

Hello all, I’ve just made an internal move, grade 3 to grade 5. I’m currently awaiting to be released from my old role into the new role.

Does anybody have any guidance on when I’ll receive the new salary? Is it upon starting training at the new box, or after passing out?
How was the process of getting a higher grade position internally? Was it just an interview, or was it more tests, etc?

New salary from when you pass out the new box.

However if you’re not released to your new box within 13 weeks you can claim the higher grade, assuming there is a vacant position waiting for you, and once you’re on that higher grade you don’t drop it back down for training.

SH89

How was the process of getting a higher grade position internally? Was it just an interview, or was it more tests, etc?
All fairly straightforward for myself, just a normal NR interview, some scenario based questions and some NTS scenarios.

New salary from when you pass out the new box.

However if you’re not released to your new box within 13 weeks you can claim the higher grade, assuming there is a vacant position waiting for you, and once you’re on that higher grade you don’t drop it back down for training.
Ok thanks, thanks for the reply mate