• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

t200

AON Tests:

Hi guys - I've been invited to take the AON online tests for a signaller role and recent (ish) posts on here suggest these newer tests cover:

1: Risk & safety behavioural questionnaire
2: Ability to concentrate
3: Reaction Speed
4: Multi-tasking capability
5: Grid challenge

However, the practice tests I have been sent are for:

1: Numerical Reasoning
2: Verbal Reasoning
3: Verbal Instruct
4: Inductive Reasoning
5: Deductive Reasoning
6: Numeracy

Which sound a bit more like the older SHL tests? Are these two sets of tests that need to be taken in turn or have hey changed again recently?

Has anybody taken these recently? I want to prepare as best I can before taking the tests - so some advice as to where best focus my attention would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lucy1501

Has anybody taken these recently? I want to prepare as best I can before taking the tests - so some advice as to where best focus my attention would be very much appreciated.
I’ve taken the tests somewhat recently. You can’t really prepare for the risk and behavioural questionnaire, so there’s no material for that. It’s more about you as an individual.

The practise tests you’ve been sent are correct, I personally completed the practise tests that they sent ( they are not the same as the actual tests) beforehand.

Before you take each test you do get time to practise the question format as many times as you like though. I’d say that is the most valuable preparation you can do,

t200

I’ve taken the tests somewhat recently. You can’t really prepare for the risk and behavioural questionnaire, so there’s no material for that. It’s more about you as an individual.

The practise tests you’ve been sent are correct, I personally completed the practise tests that they sent ( they are not the same as the actual tests) beforehand.

Before you take each test you do get time to practise the question format as many times as you like though. I’d say that is the most valuable preparation you can do,
Oh perfect! I'll run through the practice material to get a feel, but I'll focus on the pre tests if they are more like the real thing. Thanks for the clarification

Jimbo9999

Hi, just wondering how the pay increase agreed by the union will affect the new starters, or those waiting to start? I already have a signed contract at the salary level before the industrial action and agreement...

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Hi, just wondering how the pay increase agreed by the union will affect the new starters, or those waiting to start? I already have a signed contract at the salary level before the industrial action and agreement...

You'll get the new rates, same as current employees

Trackboy

Does anyone know if you have been off work say for about 3 months, do you need to do your medical before you can resume for work?

Thanks.

crunchy potato

Can anybody tell me where the training centre for IST in Derby is? I can't seem to find anything about it and been told my training is there on 9th May. Also anybody else on that course?

Does anyone know if you have been off work say for about 3 months, do you need to do your medical before you can resume for work?

Thanks.
Think you have to go through occupational health, your line manager should sort it out depending on what's required.

MikeyFord

Can anybody tell me where the training centre for IST in Derby is? I can't seem to find anything about it and been told my training is there on 9th May. Also anybody else on that course?
I didn't think there was a NR training centre in Derby, Signet Solutions are based in Derby I don't know if they are offering IST courses for NR but they have courses starting on 9th May?

Coppernob2014

Thanks.
Heya, I had 4/5 weeks off after surgery and I needed to have a phone call consultation with Oprima before I could go back in the box.

It definitely wasn’t about keeping me away, but more what could be done to make it easier for me. A really positive experience to be honest.

Csb362

It’s within Mercia house on the top level, I done my IST there last year, it’s not a centre it’s just one classroom with a lever frame in it.

jayafc

I’ve got confirmation from my start date in Preston in early may today. Can anyone tell me what it’s like as a grade 2 signaller. Such as how many trains you can expect a day, is there lots of waiting around whether they are 8 or 12 shifts.

I am really looking forward to it so help is greatly appreciated.

High Dyke

Established Member
I’ve got confirmation from my start date in Preston in early may today. Can anyone tell me what it’s like as a grade 2 signaller. Such as how many trains you can expect a day, is there lots of waiting around whether they are 8 or 12 shifts.

Whilst I am no longer a Grade 2, I still work a number of boxes in that grade. It may differ from route to route, but the ones I cover are basically 2 trains per hour. There may or may not be engineering/maintenance work taking place between trains.

Luke1687

Excellent I am starting at Preston early May too. Looking forward to it. Have you been told where your staying?

As always and as it says in this thread, it depends!
Shifts can be 8 or 12, or commonly with grade 2 boxes they might not be open 24hours or on weekends so they have pretty random shifts.
Some grade 2s can see only 1 train a week, some near me get 6 per hour, and some can just be crossing boxes not even signalling trains.
Just enjoy the process, wait and see, and good luck. Starting as a grade 2 is a great way of getting the foot in the door and learning on the job.

jayafc

Excellent I am starting at Preston early May too. Looking forward to it. Have you been told where your staying?
I haven’t been told officially yet but I know somebody else a while ago who went to Preston and they stayed at the IHG so I am expecting it there but let’s see.

Any idea how many people are on the course?

As always and as it says in this thread, it depends!
Shifts can be 8 or 12, or commonly with grade 2 boxes they might not be open 24hours or on weekends so they have pretty random shifts.
Some grade 2s can see only 1 train a week, some near me get 6 per hour, and some can just be crossing boxes not even signalling trains.
Just enjoy the process, wait and see, and good luck. Starting as a grade 2 is a great way of getting the foot in the door and learning on the job.
Interesting. I am looking forward to getting started. I have a young son and my partner works full time so trying to get as much information as I can so I can plan ahead. Is there anyway to get a list of active signal boxes and there’s grading.

Also do grade 2 do the same training as higher grades

Llanigraham

On Moderation

My Grade 2, 12 hour shift Box was up to 4 trains an hour on day shifts, plus 1 controlled level crossing and 3 User Worked Crossings.

vinoboxer

Here's a question.

How long in terms of minutes would it take to deal with a train passing through you're section with no added hiccups ie, trespasser on line, stoppage etc? Is the process fairly simple?

HamSandwich

Here's a question.

How long in terms of minutes would it take to deal with a train passing through you're section with no added hiccups ie, trespasser on line, stoppage etc? Is the process fairly simple?

Each section will be different for every box - crossings, varying speeds, lengths.... there's no one answer to this. Entirely box dependant.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Here's a question.

Impossible to answer as there are far too many variables, including the type of signalling system in operation; it would take longer in a mechanical AB Box than on a panel, for example.

Is there anyway to get a list of active signal boxes so I can see where i potentially be based.
If you’ve an IST date in May then you must have a LOM, have you asked them?
From memory there’s no (public) list of current boxes; and certainly not one that lists grades too.

jayafc

Which route have you been recruited to?
I am Chester. When I spoke to recruitment they mentioned I wasn’t applying for a job in particular but you pass signaller school and then you see which vacancies are around and apply. Does that sound about right

I am Chester. When I spoke to recruitment they mentioned I wasn’t applying for a job in particular but you pass signaller school and then you see which vacancies are around and apply. Does that sound about right
This is the newer way of recruiting pools of signallers and then you’ll apply for/be placed in a vacancy if/when you complete IST. It has been discussed before if you read the thread, but in short no one knows (except perhaps your manager) what the specific plan is for you, and you’ll almost definitely need to apply for any boxes in the area that have vacancies once you’re ready.

High Dyke

Established Member
Yes, that seems to be the current NR way of doing things. Extract below from the agreed pay deal arrangements.
New hires to be hired into a general geographical area as consulted at Route Council.