• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Royal351

With the training shifts do you follow your trainers roster?, and in turn if that includes a Sunday you entitled to work it and get paid?

Or have I got the wrong understanding
Also it turns out I cant read and confused TVSC with TVSC. SO ignore everything I said cause idk lmao

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Milesylv

Anyone able to advise how the IST handles Christmas? I've been told their looking to get on starting 9th October but that would mean the last week would fall on Christmas day. I assumed it wouldn't run through the Christmas period and would likely pick up in the new year but was hoping someone could advise as I know the actual role has the potential for working Christmas day etc.
What training centre is this for?

Goggins

Anyone able to advise how the IST handles Christmas? I've been told their looking to get on starting 9th October but that would mean the last week would fall on Christmas day. I assumed it wouldn't run through the Christmas period and would likely pick up in the new year but was hoping someone could advise as I know the actual role has the potential for working Christmas day etc.
I've been given an IST date of 9th of October in Bristol, and it would end on the 22nd of December, sure its a week or two off then. I'll know more in the coming weeks I'm sure

Riddler

Can anyone give a bit of information in regards to the shift pattern for a Grade 7 at York ROC? Just curious as to what it looks like as something I didn’t get to ask in my interview. Thanks

K

congrats! Guess we will be training together
Same to you. Yes, exciting.

I was placed onto the reserve list for this this however I have declined it as I was told the wait was likely to be longer than the 6 months allowed and have accepted a G2 role at Knearsborough, starting school in York in March next year. It’s a way through the door and can move about a year afterwards anyway so I think it’s the best move for me.
A bird in the hand and all that. I’ve been in that position before and it came good in the end.

Prospire

What training centre is this for?
Hasn't been confirmed yet. My line manager said baring any last minute complications I should be on this one.

I've been given an IST date of 9th of October in Bristol, and it would end on the 22nd of December, sure its a week or two off then. I'll know more in the coming weeks I'm sure
I'm based out of Cardiff so hoping I'll be on the same course as Bristol is just up the road for me. Hopefully I'll see you there!

Milesylv

Hasn't been confirmed yet. My line manager said baring any last minute complications I should be on this one.

I'm based out of Cardiff so hoping I'll be on the same course as Bristol is just up the road for me. Hopefully I'll see you there!
There’s a course starting 09/10 at Newport is all

Napier

Thanks for posting the shift pattern. I'm thinking about applying for railway jobs but coming from outside the industry, i have zero knowledge of the shift patterns and they make a big difference to work life balance in either direction.
Can I ask, is the Sunday mandatory for working or can you choose not to work it?
Thanks
Clem A.
Sundays are rostered overtime you can make yourself Not Available but if they cannot cover it by other means then you have to work it.

The only ones you are guaranteed are the ones either side of you programmed AL and the one on the middle when you have summer two weeks.

That’s on my area don’t know what arrangements others have.

chrislfc

Hi everyone,

Applied for a grade 2 role, did the online tests on Thursday night and received the below yesterday morning, is it a case of being scored against everyone else to make it to interview now?

Congratulations you’ve passed the online ability test for Signaller Grade 2 (Trainee) - Warrington & Chester Areas! We’ve moved your application through to assessment stage and our recruitment team will begin to carefully review your application to understand your suitability.

We’ll let you know the outcome of your application 2 weeks after the advert closes. If you’re successful, we’ll invite you to take part in a live video interview & a signaller scenario assessment. If you’re not successful, we’ll provide you with feedback to help strengthen your application next time.

Jenny

Can anyone help.

With the relief positions, do you have a base roster so know your days off in advance? Or are you likely to be given all sorts of shift any days they want, and only let you know like a week in advance?

I’m not too bothered about what times the actual shifts are but if I can know my days off forever type thing I can organise my life and family life

Slow Seline

Hi everyone,

Applied for a grade 2 role, did the online tests on Thursday night and received the below yesterday morning, is it a case of being scored against everyone else to make it to interview now?
I’ve passed the tests on four separate occasions now, and not been given an interview each time.

The feedback is always a generic response, saying I demonstrated good knowledge, etc, but next time maybe try to show a better understanding of signalling. ‍♂️

john.ump

Can anyone help.

With the relief positions, do you have a base roster so know your days off in advance? Or are you likely to be given all sorts of shift any days they want, and only let you know like a week in advance?

I’m not too bothered about what times the actual shifts are but if I can know my days off forever type thing I can organise my life and family life

Hi Jenny,

Yes most relief position rosters you will know what days of the week you are working but won't know whether you are days or nights for those shifts until the roster is published. Rosters are published on the Thursday for the commencement of the next week which starts on a Sunday. A lot of relief positions don't have booked Sundays either but get first refusal on any overtime Sunday shifts available.

Hope this helps.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Yes most relief position rosters you will know what days of the week you are working but won't know whether you are days or nights for those shifts until the roster is published. Rosters are published on the Thursday for the commencement of the next week which starts on a Sunday. A lot of relief positions don't have booked Sundays either but get first refusal on any overtime Sunday shifts available.

Hope this helps.
Thanks John. Very helpful. A bit disappointed there’s no booked Sundays. Let’s see if I even get it first.

I have until Sunday 3rd September to complete the online scenarios. Reckon that’s by the end of tonight or tomorrow?

john.ump

Thanks John. Very helpful. A bit disappointed there’s no booked Sundays. Let’s see if I even get it first.

I have until Sunday 3rd September to complete the online scenarios. Reckon that’s by the end of tonight or tomorrow?

I'd complete them by tonight rather than risk it.

Might just be my region but there is always plenty of Sundays and rest days available so don't worry about that.

RailwayRookie

Hi all,
Been given a start date at the end of October but no information on starting IST yet, has anyone got a training date around this? I'm trying to work out where I might be heading.

Lpf93

Hi Jenny,

Hope this helps.
Youll have a base roster so you know when you’ll be working. Rosters for the following week are usually published by midday on the Thursday of the week before so you’ll have a rough idea of where you’ll be but rosters can change these shifts upto 48 hours in advance (change start time or location) and you can’t say no to that. You’ll get first refusal on Sundays which there’s usually plenty of, especially over summer when people have their 2 week AL. Can earn plenty being a relief signaller dependant on the flexibility premium of the position

red2512

Youll have a base roster so you know when you’ll be working. Rosters for the following week are usually published by midday on the Thursday of the week before so you’ll have a rough idea of where you’ll be but rosters can change these shifts upto 48 hours in advance (change start time or location) and you can’t say no to that. You’ll get first refusal on Sundays which there’s usually plenty of, especially over summer when people have their 2 week AL. Can earn plenty being a relief signaller dependant on the flexibility premium of the position
So shifts will realistically only be known a week in advance? Or would you be able to see a roster rotation in advance but not know whether it's day/night shifts?

Lpf93

So shifts will realistically only be known a week in advance? Or would you be able to see a roster rotation in advance but not know whether it's day/night shifts?
You’ll know the days you’re supposed to work but won’t know if it’s a day or night shift until the Thursday. You can try and work it out from the AL diary and stuff but it’s a lot of effort for something that can change with 48 hours notice anyway for if someone goes sick etc

High Dyke

Established Member
Just to add, a relief roster doesn't normally have any base rostered turns, so you can't plan out in advance as such. Some relief base rosters do have booked turns - this is reflected in a lower Flexible Pay (FP) rate. The only certainty is where your rest days are and no booked Sunday turns .

cc27

Anybody know what the roster is for a G7 position at Edinburgh Power Box? Also, how many booked Sundays would you typically be rostered for annually?

SignalM0n

Hi all,
Been given a start date at the end of October but no information on starting IST yet, has anyone got a training date around this? I'm trying to work out where I might be heading.
Hi there,

Though not based close to you, I’m due to start in a couple of weeks, with IST a couple of weeks thereafter.

I was offered the role, completed paperwork, went for my medical, received an email with confirmation of a start date after my medical (this is back in July), have chased since, and not heard anything!

Literally two weeks to go and not a sausage.

I’ll chase again this week at some point.

Just to let you know and give you heart that you’re not the only one!!!

Primo

Hi all,
Hi, I have been given an initial start date of 30th Oct and starting IST 2 weeks after. I emailed HR about the location of IST and they confirmed it will be York. My position is for the Scunthorpe area. Hope this helps.

Jenny

Just to add, a relief roster doesn't normally have any base rostered turns, so you can't plan out in advance as such. Some relief base rosters do have booked turns - this is reflected in a lower Flexible Pay (FP) rate. The only certainty is where your rest days are and no booked Sunday turns .
Thank you. As long as I know rest days that’s fine. Can we be given Sundays if not booked? Or is that a case of putting down for rest day work? I wouldn’t mind being rostered off every Sunday then cherry picking which ones I want to work

Lpf93

Thank you. As long as I know rest days that’s fine. Can we be given Sundays if not booked? Or is that a case of putting down for rest day work? I wouldn’t mind being rostered off every Sunday then cherry picking which ones I want to work
Can tell your roster clerk your SNA (sunday not available) unless you specify Sundays you’re available for. Rosters may work 2-3 weeks in advance though so could have already covered it before you’ve let them know you’re available if you’ve told them to assume you’re not available

High Dyke

Established Member
You could be offered Sunday turns, but they are not rest day working turns. Sundays are outside of the working week. The rostering principles does specify how uncovered Sunday turns are rostered, and whether they are base rostered turns or rosters without Sunday turns on. A note of caution, cherry-picking could cause friction amongst colleagues.

5. Cover arrangements for Sunday turns of duty
5.1. Subject to compliance with Section 1, Signalboxes with rostered Sunday turns on base roster:
5.1.1. Rostered Sunday turns are normally worked by rostered residentsignallers. In the event that a
rostered Sunday turn is uncovered this should first be offered to relief/ flexible signallers on an equalisation basis
5.1.2. In the event that no relief/flexible signaller is available, then the turn should be offered to resident
signallers on an equalisation basis
5.1.3. In the event that no resident or relief/flexible signaller is available, then the turn should be offered to relief/flexible signallers whose flexible band does not include the location concerned bearing in mind equalisation.

5.2. Subject to compliance with Section 1, Signalboxes with no rostered Sundays on the base roster:
5.2.1. All additional Sunday turns should first be offered to resident signallers on an equalisation basis
5.2.2. In the event that no resident signaller is available, then the turn should be offered to relief/flexible
signallers on an equalisation basis
5.2.3. In the event that no resident or relief/flexible signaller is available, then the turn should be offered to the relief/flexible signaller whose flexible band does not include the location concerned, bearing in mind equalization.

The Puddock

It’s also worth noting for anyone who reads this in future that the above does not apply to signalboxes in Scotland - we don’t use equalisations but have our own priority order (image attached) instead.

IMG_7320.jpeg

rj_signals

Hi all, newbie here in the early days of what I hope will be a new career in signalling. So early in fact, I'm waiting to hear if I've passed the online aptitude test I did earlier today with fingers crossed I make it to interview stage next.

I've applied for the G6 trainee signaller role at WMSC and after 20 years working 9-5, the potential move to shift work is both exciting and daunting (Exciting for me but daunting for my wife!). With that in mind, I was hoping to find out if anyone knows of a typical working roster for the signal centre in West Mids?

I know there are numerous workstations/teams across the floor and they no doubt differ between them, but any info on a typical shift pattern would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all i completed my onboarding paperwork yesterday.Just waiting for my medical date now.Im so excited and looking forward to my new career.Good luck to everyone still trying to get into the role.

Last edited:

SignalM0n

Hi all, newbie here in the early days of what I hope will be a new career in signalling. So early in fact, I'm waiting to hear if I've passed the online aptitude test I did earlier today with fingers crossed I make it to interview stage next.

I've applied for the G6 trainee signaller role at WMSC and after 20 years working 9-5, the potential move to shift work is both exciting and daunting (Exciting for me but daunting for my wife!). With that in mind, I was hoping to find out if anyone knows of a typical working roster for the signal centre in West Mids?

I know there are numerous workstations/teams across the floor and they no doubt differ between them, but any info on a typical shift pattern would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Fingers crossed for you.

Most appear to be 12 hrs and there is a post after around page 530 / 535, or it’s 560 / 565. Definitely a post dated after 31st March. It sets out the approximate hours (which may have changed) very nicely.

Interview prep - I was advised to keep the ST elements light, but beef up the AR elements, and focus on what I did in the given situation. It worked for me. Just waiting for reporting instructions for my first day.

A LOT of information about the structure, indicative questions, and methodologies appear on this forum. Most recently Gator Ops posted something very useful just a few pages back from here on the process.

Google, NR website, and this forum should see you right.

Good luck.