• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan4321

Hi all, I've literally just done my online scenario assessment and have an interview coming up next week. Any tips on what to expect?
Hi mate when I done my first interview I messed up on not using STAR for the situation questions, such as “when was a time you used safety measures” and try and think outside the box and not only think of your current job/role but any previous experience too, and just relax going into it they’re not there to catch you out and will “help” you out where they can

JWilliams

Just started week 3.Struggling with retainment, especially as it seems to need to verbatim! Anyone got any tips on how to learn? Name all 14 reasons to pass a signal at danger seems to be an ever growing mountain!

Last edited:

2BeNot2Be

Thanks for the info’. Can you tell me why Three Bridges is often advertised externally? Does it just have a high burnout rate due to the workload? Hence less desirable with internal moves. Or is there other reasons? I.e retirements e.t.c.

Also do you have any idea on what the working pattern looks like?

Sunset route

Established Member
Thanks for the info’. Can you tell me why Three Bridges is often advertised externally? Does it just have a high burnout rate due to the workload? Hence less desirable with internal moves. Or is there other reasons? I.e retirements e.t.c.

Also do you have any idea on what the working pattern looks like?

In both the case of TBASC and TBROC the local management always seem to advertise internally and externally at the same time for reasons better known to themselves.

verve76

Just interested to find out what people's thoughts are about this current advert below, seems quite a large area? For example I live near Wigan yet Hellifield is in Skipton? I assume you would be placed at a box reasonably close to your home address. Interestingly I don't know many grade 2 boxes near Wigan??

I currently work in healthcare but have been researching signaller roles for some time I would be taking a cut in pay if I moved to grade 2 but would 20% on top of base pay be a reasonable estimate (understand it depends on box/rota etc)

"We are recruiting for grade 2 trainee signallers on a permanent contract based in Hellifield, Daisyfield, and Wigan Areas.

The Puddock

Just started week 3 with Julian at IST, Struggling with retainment, especially as it seems to need to verbatim! Anyone got any tips on how to learn? Name all 14 reasons to pass a signal at danger seems to be an ever growing mountain!
There are 17 reasons…

BrummieBobby

There are 17 reasons…

Acronyms are very helpful (TALLPANTS or BDSMBUS still stick in my mind, several years after my IST) I also found flash cards and group revision in the hotel to be most effective in my experience.

With regards to the specific S5 question, one could cynically suggest to concentrate on the ones you can remember for the exam (If the exam question says "name 5 times you can allow a train to pass a signal at danger" and you are confident you know 8 reasons, you get the mark.)

Open_G

Just started week 3 with Julian at IST, Struggling with retainment, especially as it seems to need to verbatim! Anyone got any tips on how to learn? Name all 14 reasons to pass a signal at danger seems to be an ever growing mountain!
With the S5 reasons I did them a page at a time over 2 nights. I sat down and wrote them out, then tried to remember as much as I could with a blank sheet. Once I had done that I then opened the rule book again and filled in/corrected them. Then I did it again. I think I wrote them out 9 or 10 times but they eventually went in. It’s dull, it’s not flash, but it worked.

I’m guessing the 3 you’ve been told to leave out will be defective ERTMS equipment, electric train can pass signal protecting isolated section, and approach limiting point. And the one about a passenger train and occupied platform.

Week 3 seems early for S5 but I know it’s changed recently.

cpn

With the S5 reasons I did them a page at a time over 2 nights. I sat down and wrote them out, then tried to remember as much as I could with a blank sheet. Once I had done that I then opened the rule book again and filled in/corrected them. Then I did it again. I think I wrote them out 9 or 10 times but they eventually went in. It’s dull, it’s not flash, but it worked.

I’m guessing the 3 you’ve been told to leave out will be defective ERTMS equipment, electric train can pass signal protecting isolated section, and approach limiting point. And the one about a passenger train and occupied platform.

I absolutely agree with Open_G: while the effectiveness of different revision techniques is a personal thing, I'd say there's no substitute for endless repetition! Find a mnemonic, or (even better) invent your own; write them out several times a day; test yourself in coffee breaks; recite them to yourself over meals; push yourself in the quizzes; don't abbreviate or bullet-point in the homeworks; over and over and over and over and over again. Same goes for the verbatim stuff: it's not that getting one word wrong will be a problem in the long term; it's that challenging yourself to learn it verbatim is a great way to make it stick in your brain for years rather than weeks.

Trainers are afforded a fair degree of latitude in deciding how best to deliver the material, and - having had Julian myself back when I was at IST - I'm grateful that he chooses to tackle S5 earlier than most, both because it's a core skill and to give you longer to learn that list! The 3 reasons he will have left out are the ones that are only relevant to Absolute Block, as it's a TCB course.

RailwayRookie

So I know the knowledge base here is incredible and has helped me out once already, but here's a more niche test.

Has anyone here had any experience of the Chippenham Junction Signal box in the Newmarket area? I know it's pretty irregular in terms of access but can't seem to fathom how you get to it on maps short of trudging across parts of Newmarket Racecourses training areas after leaving you car in a field.

Ive been offered a position there and just wanted to have a rough idea if I will need to include wellies and a torch as part of my PPE

SuperS16v

Just on the final week of the new 10 week IST course.

Everyone had different ways of learning so you need to find the best thing that works for you. There is loads of revision material for IST on ‘Quizlet’.

If you learn around 10 reasons for passing signals at danger you will be fine. But you will need to know all of them for real world application.

Cheney B50

Can somebody tell me what the payment is for a travelling Sunday at time and half - Grade 5. Also what hours are worked during signalling school.

Thanks.

Goggins

I start IST on the 9th, and already worrying about retainment.. This one in particular, but the 3.4.1 sentences as well.

How are you finding it on the whole, did you complete the 2 week online training before heading to IST?

Okay thank you, is it just bell codes I should learn then as I am going into a lever frame box?
I haven't started yet.. I go to Bristol on the 9th, and I'm definitely getting my head around 3.4.1 (Before allowing a train to approach) just to give my self a head start, also reading and writing the reasons to pass a signal at danger.. It may be early but reading and writing them now and getting them in my head can't be a bad thing.. The worry of failing is pretty daunting!

Last edited:

Jordan4321

I start IST on the 9th, and already worrying about retainment.. This one in particular, but the 3.4.1 sentences as well.

How are you finding it on the whole, did you complete the 2 week online training before heading to IST?

I haven't started yet.. I go to Bristol on the 9th, and I'm definitely getting my head around 3.4.1 (Before allowing a train to approach) just to give my self a head start, also reading and writing the reasons to pass a signal at danger.. It may be early but reading and writing them now and getting them in my head can't be a bad thing.. The worry of failing is pretty daunting!
Do you have any good websites or revision sites to use?

Goggins

Everyone had different ways of learning so you need to find the best thing that works for you. There is loads of revision material for IST on ‘Quizlet’.

If you learn around 10 reasons for passing signals at danger you will be fine. But you will need to know all of them for real world application.
Thank you for this.. I found Quizlet last week, its pretty good! How have you found it on the whole? I start on October 9th.. Not going to lie, pretty nervous, especially after hearing there is a big fail percentage and struggle to retain stuff.. Getting my head in the rule book early on the passing signal at danger and 3.4.1

Do you have any good websites or revision sites to use?
Have you received the Rule Book yet? A lot of the stuff is in there.. If not get the digital one of RSSB website, i found Quizlet last week its pretty good and I've also got the Bell Code App, only works on android though i think

Mechy

Can somebody tell me what the payment is for a travelling Sunday at time and half - Grade 5. Also what hours are worked during signalling school.

Thanks.

Travelling Sundays are payed at standard time and only for the hours travelled (the 4 hours worked, 6 hours pay rule doesn’t apply). So if you travelled for 3 hours, you would receive 3 hours at basic rate only.

So I know the knowledge base here is incredible and has helped me out once already, but here's a more niche test.

Has anyone here had any experience of the Chippenham Junction Signal box in the Newmarket area? I know it's pretty irregular in terms of access but can't seem to fathom how you get to it on maps short of trudging across parts of Newmarket Racecourses training areas after leaving you car in a field.

Ive been offered a position there and just wanted to have a rough idea if I will need to include wellies and a torch as part of my PPE
You walk across the race course to access Chippenham Junction. You just need sturdy boots and a hi-viz vest.

Jordan4321

Thank you for this.. I found Quizlet last week, its pretty good! How have you found it on the whole? I start on October 9th.. Not going to lie, pretty nervous, especially after hearing there is a big fail percentage and struggle to retain stuff.. Getting my head in the rule book early on the passing signal at danger and 3.4.1

Have you received the Rule Book yet? A lot of the stuff is in there.. If not get the digital one of RSSB website, i found Quizlet last week its pretty good and I've also got the Bell Code App, only works on android though i think
Hi no haven’t done my medical out the way but I’m assuming once I do they’ll give me the rule book

JWilliams

I was supposed to do the 2 weeks online learning, but for some reason I never got access, So my instructor has been squeezing the online bits into the course rather than kicking me off until I can complete them (I’m mighty grateful!)
As a whole I love it. The week 1 test, if you can spell your name you can pass and im Gearing up for week 3 observation now and that’s nothing to be scared of either. Just get on the sim every chance you can and you’ll have no reason to worry! send me a message if you’ve any more questions

Repetition repetition! Yes it seems to be so there’s more time to learn it, which I’m grateful for!
And spot on with the 3 to ignore. New course is more condensed

Thanks so much for the resource. Best of luck this week!

I absolutely agree with Open_G: while the effectiveness of different revision techniques is a personal thing, I'd say there's no substitute for endless repetition! Find a mnemonic, or (even better) invent your own; write them out several times a day; test yourself in coffee breaks; recite them to yourself over meals; push yourself in the quizzes; don't abbreviate or bullet-point in the homeworks; over and over and over and over and over again. Same goes for the verbatim stuff: it's not that getting one word wrong will be a problem in the long term; it's that challenging yourself to learn it verbatim is a great way to make it stick in your brain for years rather than weeks.

Trainers are afforded a fair degree of latitude in deciding how best to deliver the material, and - having had Julian myself back when I was at IST - I'm grateful that he chooses to tackle S5 earlier than most, both because it's a core skill and to give you longer to learn that list! The 3 reasons he will have left out are the ones that are only relevant to Absolute Block, as it's a TCB course.
Thanks for this. I have to admit, He is definitely a bloody good instructor.

cointrain

Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of applying for 2 Signaller roles, Grade 2 Trainee and Grade 3 Operations Apprentice.

I had my interview for the trainee post almost 2 weeks ago and waiting to hear about the outcome. I have my apprentice interview next week and wondered if anyone else has had one?

I'm interested to know if the questions are based around your ability to learn rather than work experience - given that the apprentice scheme is aimed at younger people.

Thanks

Milesylv

Hi all, currently learning my bell codes in prep for IST next week. I've memorised the train classes but don't actually know which one is which! Could anyone point me in the right direction to find in the rule book? I've had a google but want to make sure they're correct before committing them to memory.

Also anyone who's reading & on the Newport course next week feel free to drop me a message to say Hi

je1991

Hi all, currently learning my bell codes in prep for IST next week. I've memorised the train classes but don't actually know which one is which! Could anyone point me in the right direction to find in the rule book? I've had a google but want to make sure they're correct before committing them to memory.

Also anyone who's reading & on the Newport course next week feel free to drop me a message to say Hi
It's good you have learnt the bell codes but honestly I would stop there. The course is structured in a way so that it all fits together as you go along. reading the rule books before you start could make you interpret things in the wrong way. That was the advise givin to me when I joined last year and when I started the course I realised why they said don't read your rule books before going.

Milesylv

It's good you have learnt the bell codes but honestly I would stop there. The course is structured in a way so that it all fits together as you go along. reading the rule books before you start could make you interpret things in the wrong way. That was the advise givin to me when I joined last year and when I started the course I realised why they said don't read your rule books before going.
Thanks for the insight! How did you find the overall course and how's life in the role now?

je1991

Thanks for the insight! How did you find the overall course and how's life in the role now?
The course is good really well structured and gives you all the basics, but you learn how to be a signaller when you get back to your box. My advise would be take notes make sure u go over the stuff you learnt that day in the hotel so it sticks in your head try quiz each other when exams are coming up and don't neglect your sim time. Life in my new role is good I have had previous jobs on the railway but by far this is the best one.

TheRunningMan

Can only assume they've chosen the successful people internally. Very silly of them to advertise externally if they had no intention of interviewing anyone.
Even as an internal candidate and after passing the tests, they are yet to give a couple of us interviews, bearing in mind we come from operational roles. Its if your face fits i guess or just simply luck of the draw.