• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Kabin

Iv been offered an interview for a Grade 2 box. My first question is about the school. I'm currently in full time employment and iv seen many people mentioning how hard the school was. I was never good in actual school but seeing other people struggle amd talking about many exams, how likely is it that you can fail? I'd hate to give up my current job then fail the Signaller training then have nothing as I couldn't go back to the job I have

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goggins

Iv been offered an interview for a Grade 2 box. My first question is about the school. I'm currently in full time employment and iv seen many people mentioning how hard the school was. I was never good in actual school but seeing other people struggle amd talking about many exams, how likely is it that you can fail? I'd hate to give up my current job then fail the Signaller training then have nothing as I couldn't go back to the job I have
I'm currently in signalling school and felt exactly the same and still do.. It is difficult, and the structure of the new course isn't great, but i think its passable.. Even if you fail at some point you will get another chance to retake if you've made an effort etc. Hope this helps

Kabin

I'm currently in signalling school and felt exactly the same and still do.. It is difficult, and the structure of the new course isn't great, but i think its passable.. Even if you fail at some point you will get another chance to retake if you've made an effort etc. Hope this helps
That has eased some nerves. I was tempted not to take the application any further even though I believe id love the job. I just worried about failing. I've never been great in exam situations at normal School and have passed extra qualifications to date but when life and mortgages etc get in the way its always a worry

Buiadh

This question relates to the east of Scotland but could be found elsewhere, but in three years of applying I've seen jobs for boxes between Aberdeen and Dundee but never Aberdeen or Dundee themselves.

Is there a reason for that other than signallers in small boxes snapping them up before they can go external?

The Puddock

This question relates to the east of Scotland but could be found elsewhere, but in three years of applying I've seen jobs for boxes between Aberdeen and Dundee but never Aberdeen or Dundee themselves.

Is there a reason for that other than signallers in small boxes snapping them up before they can go external?
You’ve put your finger on it - they’re the two highest graded boxes in the northeast (apart from Perth) and they are the two with the most secure future. I can’t think of any resident signaller at either Aberdeen or Dundee who has come into the box as an external candidate in the last 20 years.

LittleByName

Got the email I didn’t want to see today. Didn’t make this round of interviews, but they are keeping my details. Does this mean I have to apply again for the same location if another space opens up?

nivral

I have just been offered an interview for Thames Valley Signalling Centre, grades 7, 8, or 9. I've read through this forum and have screenshot a number of posts so feel like I can prepare well, but any advice from anyone? Or any info on what Thames Valley is like :)

GMTUK

I have just been offered an interview for Thames Valley Signalling Centre, grades 7, 8, or 9. I've read through this forum and have screenshot a number of posts so feel like I can prepare well, but any advice from anyone? Or any info on what Thames Valley is like :)
I went for a visit a few years ago and very good friend of mine works there.
Seems decent enough, a good walk from Didcot Parkway station maybe 10 mins but plenty parking.

Goggins

Anyone done the week 5 exam on the new 10 week course? Just started ist and heard this is one of the harder exams
Doing it next week.. Looks heavy i wont lie! Haha. But enough revision before hand and its doable. 35 multiple choice questions and 35 written answers.

nivral

I went for a visit a few years ago and very good friend of mine works there.
Seems decent enough, a good walk from Didcot Parkway station maybe 10 mins but plenty parking.
Thank you :) I'm totally fine with a 10 minute walk from the station, will be good to have 20 minutes cardio built into my day haha

Signal_Box

A long old set then, does this allow you to have a week off in a row under the new 60hr limit?

Are 12 hours shift patterns all quite similar then or is it random depending on box and region, or does NR have a general guideline for the shift?

It’s meant to allow you to have your 12-14 days off twice every cycle of the roster , and comply with the new 60hr week.

red2512

Anyone done the week 5 exam on the new 10 week course? Just started ist and heard this is one of the harder exams
I'm in week 7 currently. It's tough but if you've worked as hard as possible and haven't cut corners on the key topics there isn't really anything to be scared of.

I've come away from the education sector and a big piece of advice I would give is as soon as you get in the exam ask for a blank piece of paper and when the exam starts write down every acronym you can remember and key words for certain topics. I then went through the multiple choice questions (started about 12mins into the exam because I was writing all my information down) and answered those and wrote down key pieces of information I didn't have on my sheet.

The multiple choice section gets taken away from you after 40mins so it's worth using it to your advantage for notes too!

Frothy_B

Have just done week 5 and the test is as hard as you make it in terms of your own revision. You'll go through everything for it in lessons, maybe a little from the e-learning also.

Listen to your instructor, they will indicate as they can which subjects you need to be hot on, but as a rule if it has an acronym then make sure you know it. This isn't a course they want you to fail, but they need to see that you can grasp the rules.

We all got quite stressed on the lead up to the exam during week 5, as you'd expect as we've all left jobs for this, all have bills to pay etc, but we all passed by quite a margin. Make yourself flash cards, either physically or on Quizlet, or find those people have already made on there and keep going through questions in your revision time. Only you know how your brain works and how YOU take on information, so revise in the way that is best for you.

GMTUK

I'm in week 7 currently. It's tough but if you've worked as hard as possible and haven't cut corners on the key topics there isn't really anything to be scared of.

I've come away from the education sector and a big piece of advice I would give is as soon as you get in the exam ask for a blank piece of paper and when the exam starts write down every acronym you can remember and key words for certain topics. I then went through the multiple choice questions (started about 12mins into the exam because I was writing all my information down) and answered those and wrote down key pieces of information I didn't have on my sheet.

The multiple choice section gets taken away from you after 40mins so it's worth using it to your advantage for notes too!
This is sound advise thank you. Start IST in 10 days……

Jet

How do you feel coming away from the education sector? I would be leaving also if I am successful but now I am so close, the change scares me as Iv only ever worked in education!

red2512

I haven't missed it at all and I thought I would after 11 years. Lots of things will help you be ready for IST with it so closely linked with education but there will always be the nerves/apprehension about whether or not you will pass the course.

There is no guarantee of passing IST but as @Frothy_B said, the trainers are here to help you and it's in their interests to see you pass too.

The easiest way to look at it is that you will always have the qualification to fall back on (teaching) if this didn't go well or you don't enjoy it

Jet

I haven't missed it at all and I thought I would after 11 years. Lots of things will help you be ready for IST with it so closely linked with education but there will always be the nerves/apprehension about whether or not you will pass the course.

There is no guarantee of passing IST but as @Frothy_B said, the trainers are here to help you and it's in their interests to see you pass too.

The easiest way to look at it is that you will always have the qualification to fall back on (teaching) if this didn't go well or you don't enjoy it
Thank you.

I’m more worried about the change to lifestyle but as you said I can always go back to what I know if i really don’t enjoy it!

dave112

I've also been invited for an interview good luck with it. This forum has some good resources to use and help with the interview.

Jordan4321

It’s meant to allow you to have your 12-14 days off twice every cycle of the roster , and comply with the new 60hr week.
Makes sense, has this started yet or is it starting when the 60hrs comes in fully?

also a random question, I’m going to a west wales box and was wondering if they’re going to Cardiff when the boxes finally close, as I’ve read somewhere that they were planning on building a Swansea pebble but that idea was shut down?

Hi
Hi, maybe someone who had many knock backs before getting the job can help. I’m waiting for a signaller position to come up in or around Manchester as I didn’t pass my last interview in October.

Does anyone know how often on average jobs come up?
Or can anyone share the time scale for themselves on having an interview, being unsuccessful & reapplying just to give me an idea on how long I could potentially be waiting.

Thankyou in advance
Hi mate, I haven’t started yet but from what I gather in terms of external vacancies it is random, one month you could have 4 separate vacancies within an hour of you and then for next year nothing, it all depends on what vacancies make it external and if anyone leaves their posts from what I can see

Last edited:

Signal_Box

Makes sense, has this started yet or is it starting when the 60hrs comes in fully?

also a random question, I’m going to a west wales box and was wondering if they’re going to Cardiff when the boxes finally close, as I’ve read somewhere that they were planning on building a Swansea pebble but that idea was shut down?

Hi

Hi mate, I haven’t started yet but from what I gather in terms of external vacancies it is random, one month you could have 4 separate vacancies within an hour of you and then for next year nothing, it all depends on what vacancies make it external and if anyone leaves their posts from what I can see

The new roster starts in January. West Wales is now meant to going to a mini centre in Port Talbot panel now.

Kraken

How do you feel coming away from the education sector? I would be leaving also if I am successful but now I am so close, the change scares me as Iv only ever worked in education!

I didn’t come from education but I switched careers to signalling in the middle of the pandemic from a public sector job I’d been doing for 15 years. I still quite enjoyed my previous job but I wanted progression and didn’t fancy the path that it took there.

I can honestly say after 3 years of working in single-manned AB boxes that I’m extremely disappointed not to have done this a decade ago. If the idea of the job sounds appealing to you and you can keep yourself occupied on your own then it’s an incredible place to work. I’m not sure about ROCs and the like.

Whilst it is possible to fail IST invariably those that do are given multiple extra chances to try the course again as long as they are putting the effort in. Also if it’s not for you then I’m sure the education sector is crying out for qualified staff so presumably they’d have you back somewhere?

Signal_Box

I didn’t come from education but I switched careers to signalling in the middle of the pandemic from a public sector job I’d been doing for 15 years. I still quite enjoyed my previous job but I wanted progression and didn’t fancy the path that it took there.

I can honestly say after 3 years of working in single-manned AB boxes that I’m extremely disappointed not to have done this a decade ago. If the idea of the job sounds appealing to you and you can keep yourself occupied on your own then it’s an incredible place to work. I’m not sure about ROCs and the like.

Whilst it is possible to fail IST invariably those that do are given multiple extra chances to try the course again as long as they are putting the effort in. Also if it’s not for you then I’m sure the education sector is crying out for qualified staff so presumably they’d have you back somewhere?

A nice little single manned SB is 100% better than a multi manned location or ROC! I personally hate working at my location purely based on the total idiots I have to work with.

High Dyke

Established Member
A nice little single manned SB is 100% better than a multi manned location or ROC! I personally hate working at my location purely based on the total idiots I have to work with.
I wonder if your colleagues feel the same. o_O

Seriously though, I know what you mean. Some prefer that working environment. Myself, I've been a 'nomad' for so long, working in a ROC or such like would not suit me.

hpp2000

Just got an email with an attachment saying the hiring manager will now decide who to call for an interview. How long does it normally take from that point any ideas?

Equalizer

Residents:

Fixed pattern of days/nights (you can work out exactly what shift you are doing months or even years in advance). Rostered Sundays (that you can ask to be booked off from without using annual leave allowance). Work 1 location. You may have general purpose relief shifts in your regular pattern but expect to work these as in the rostering principles a resident on a spare is first on the list to cover a shift.

Relief:

Fixed pattern of shifts, but can be days or nights, you won't know your shifts for the following week until the Thursday before when the roster is punlished. Opportunity of being an unused "spare" if no shifts need covering. Can work multiple locations depending on area. Get a relief premium which can vary from 4%-32% depending on distance between locations worked. No rostered Sundays but can work them is residents are on leave or book them off.

The amount a relief works is really dependant on staffing levels of

Resident:

Fully rostered Day/Nights, you can figure out what shift you are working months or years in advance if you wanted to. Rostered Sundays, but you can request them booked off without using annual leave allowance. You may get 2/4 or 2/5 Sundays depending on the roster. Most rosters have spare shifts built in since the 35hr week change, but don't expect these to be sat at home, you are first on the list to cover shifts and you will be put on ODD's and ACC's if not.

Relief:

You know what days you are working, but won't know the shifts for the next week until the Thursday before. No rostered Sundays but first on list to get any going before other residents. Relief premium between 4-32% depending on distance between locations worked. Depending on the staffing levels you might have spare shifts where you are sat at home. Expect to work more nights than days as residents book leave on nights more than days (in my experience).

There are pros and cons to each position. As a relief you can probably earn as much working your 35hr base shifts as a resident will do working 35hr base + Sundays but it all depends on grade and relief premium.

Edit
(Not sure why my disappeared answer has now appeared on top!)
Thank you for this well articulated breakdown

LuckyTaffy

Hi Mate. Basically means if your resident you will be rostered sundays (as overtime). If not resident, you will be relief, which is a slightly different shift pattern and you do not work sundays (unless overtime). Each one has its pros and cons.

Do you know which panel your being put on. Cardiff or Newport?
Thanks for the reply mate.

Yeah Cardiff work panel (if I get through IST!)

All understood now, I’ll be looking to pick up Sundays as much as possible is it achievable as a relief?

Equalizer

I had my interview a couple weeks back and got this message.

Its gone passed the date and not heard anything. You think basically I've not made it or I should chase them up?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102_163726_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_163726_Outlook.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 97

lbr97

I had my interview a couple weeks back and got this message.

Its gone passed the date and not heard anything. You think basically I've not made it or I should chase them up?
I had a interview a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. I didn't even get the email you've posted from them