• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Dread Pirate

That’s one of those “how long is a piece of string?” questions. It varies and can often take longer if you’ve moved around a bit as I think they check with each local force.
Cheers mate not moved about that much but I’ll sit tight. Got my medical next Friday and not starting until the end of January so no rush I suppose. Just want to get everything sorted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan4321

Maybe a stupid question but does every train station have a signal box including the smaller stations or are some smaller stations merged into the bigger ones

Iddy015

Hi, just been offered a grade 3 trainee position which I'm very excited about had the interview last week. My IST course date us next year is there anything i should learn before i start the course. Thank you.

Equalizer

Wanted to ask the more experienced signallers what stratagies and tips they have developed to handle the shift work to mitigate the long term effects and function health wise

ajs101

Does anyone have any experience of working out of Ashford? I've been offered grade 2 and I am assuming I'd be working at the IECC from a workstation rather than a box?

Brett55

Hi mate no news is usually good news, it’s just a waiting game, some people wait months for a reply and no there isn’t a limit on re applying, just out of curiosity what box is it if you don’t mind me asking
Hi bud,

Wales - Shrewsbury, Llandudno Junction, Bangor & Hereford. Either of these I think.

Dread Pirate

Hi everyone. I’m got the phone call a few weeks ago offering me a grade 2 position in New Mills. It’s a complete career change for me as I’ve been a Hgv driver for almost 20 years. I’m looking forward to the challenge albeit nervous about school and passing the exam but I’m just going to throw myself into it.

Did anybody go to the school close to where they live? They said I’ll be going to Manchester which is only the other side of town for me so I could commute there every day. Will I still be offered a hotel? I think I’ll be better off staying there and revising each night rather than coming home to a house full of loud kids . Just need to convive the mrs I’m not having a jolly whilst I’m there. Anyone else been in a similar situation? TIA for reply’s.

Goggins

Hi everyone. I’m got the phone call a few weeks ago offering me a grade 2 position in New Mills. It’s a complete career change for me as I’ve been a Hgv driver for almost 20 years. I’m looking forward to the challenge albeit nervous about school and passing the exam but I’m just going to throw myself into it.

Did anybody go to the school close to where they live? They said I’ll be going to Manchester which is only the other side of town for me so I could commute there every day. Will I still be offered a hotel? I think I’ll be better off staying there and revising each night rather than coming home to a house full of loud kids . Just need to convive the mrs I’m not having a jolly whilst I’m there. Anyone else been in a similar situation? TIA for reply’s.
I'm from North Wales and I'm currently in Bristol.. Manchester would be the ideal situation, but with the numbers of signallers needed nationwide you could end up anywhere. They do prefer you stay in a hotel for that reason that you need to revise at night and use sim sessions at the training centre

Lucy1501

Hi, just been offered a grade 3 trainee position which I'm very excited about had the interview last week. My IST course date us next year is there anything i should learn before i start the course. Thank you.
Well done on getting the offer!

The whole course is designed for beginners who have no background knowledge. If you try to learn anything beforehand you may end up developing misconceptions or get confused, so I would advise against it.

That being said if you want to start something - learn the phonetic alphabet and maybe some of the bell codes if you know your box will use them (there's lots of quizlets and a network rail bell signals app on Android that you can use).

Frothy_B

I'd say it depends on your LOM and the arrangements at the training center. I live about 45 minute drive away so could realistically come in every day from home, but I took the hotel option to 1) Save on fuel and 2) at home with a small child there would be no revision done.

Someone else on the course lives around 25 minutes away, who will be going to a different box at the end, and they were not offered the hotel at all.

If you live within an hour, even 58-59 minutes you may not get offered the hotel on the Sunday night, so there's a few of us that have to travel in on the Monday morning, but there's been no problems so far.

It's certainly not a jolly. The being away from home every night, certainly the first 3 weeks, seemed to be what many people struggled with the most. I don't know what type of HGV work you did, but I'd imagine you're already used to not being at home, as will your family, so you should find that side of it a bit easier.

I don't know about you, but coming from the haulage industry myself I'm used to alot of alone time and my own space, which I certainly needed in week 4 and 5, and mentally I just wouldn't have been able to focus as I did if I were at home.

GMTUK

loads of information on here but regards to my interview on Friday for a signallers position has anyone on here taken notes into the interview is this allowed
I used a board with post it notes that I placed behind my laptop screen to take a quick glance. Having been unsuccessful in 4 previous interviews this worked for me on the 5th and I started this week. Obviously can’t use this method if it’s face to face

Ronnie215

Thanks for the reply mate.

Yeah Cardiff work panel (if I get through IST!)

All understood now, I’ll be looking to pick up Sundays as much as possible is it achievable as a relief?
As a relief yes, but not very often. Only when resident has 2 weeks off and Sunday falls in middle, or they decide to give it up for whatever reason. Plus there will be other relief who will want it.

Keep in mind though that Sunday as a resident is Overtime rest day effectively, and paid 150%. You can work other rest days and get 125%. So only missing out on that extra 25% days pay.

Equalizer

As a relief yes, but not very often. Only when resident has 2 weeks off and Sunday falls in middle, or they decide to give it up for whatever reason. Plus there will be other relief who will want it.

Keep in mind though that Sunday as a resident is Overtime rest day effectively, and paid 150%. You can work other rest days and get 125%. So only missing out on that extra 25% days pay.
Also relief get that premium 12 to 32% boost to pay right to thier base salary.

ThatsAMorey

Congratulations!

Definitely take the hotel option, as others have said it helps with revision etc. I live out in the high peak, wasn’t offered the Sunday night at the hotel as I live within a hour of the training centre, but I stayed Monday to Thursday.

RailwayRookie

Anyone that has had their start date a reasonable distance before their IST, what did they have you doing for the time between?

red2512

Anyone that has had their start date a reasonable distance before their IST, what did they have you doing for the time between?
I think it is mixed depending on your box and what they have planned. Some have you in for the 2 weeks beforehand to do the e-learning, I know of some that were told they could do that from home too.

Others were in during the time before the e-learning started and went out on the railway with different personnel too

Open_G

Had to chase my LOM a bit but visited 7 boxes varying from an hour to several hours over a week. Spent a day with a MOM as well as spending a lot of time sat waiting at home.

Signal_Box

Cardiff relief link rarely pick up any Sundays, and RDW is minimal as well hence no one wants to move across from the resident link. There are 4/5 big hitters who suck up all the RDW/Sunday working.

Also relief get that premium 12 to 32% boost to pay right to thier base salary.

WROC is 4%, much like others.

NXFlyer

Got my medical tomorrow - how long has it been taking people to receive the formal offer after medical?

LearnerJ

I have been chasing and chasing a on boarding/start date for signalling school since my completion of checks, medical and DBS at the start of October.
Numerous emails and phone calls with no further update. I have just been told they aim to have a start date for me in May!? I was hoping January as i have seen a few others been given this date who were in the same recruitment pool as me. Fairly dissapointed :(

Nick7555

I’ve received an email about my Anglia Routes grade 2 signaler application.

“We have now filled all of our interview spaces for our current round of recruitment, however as you have completed and passed our initial testing we would like to keep your details for our next round of interviews.”

Does this mean my application was uncessfull or do I still have a chance at getting the role?

Dread Pirate

I have been chasing and chasing a on boarding/start date for signalling school since my completion of checks, medical and DBS at the start of October.
Numerous emails and phone calls with no further update. I have just been told they aim to have a start date for me in May!? I was hoping January as i have seen a few others been given this date who were in the same recruitment pool as me. Fairly dissapointed :(
I was offered the job end of October and they told me on the phone it was a start date of January 29th. Did they tell you a date in the phone?