• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Lpf93

Sorry I should have put this question in a better way, what i meant was one of their criteria was that you should be with in 60 minutes commute from the box your are applying for.

Than you.
I don’t think it’s something that’s a necessity anymore but they were going to bring it in for fatigue.
After doing a 12 hour shift though you’d not want a big commute

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Signal_Box

Apprently pay talks next week, shouldn’t a long meeting “1% full and final offer” is my guess.

chrislfc

Hi there is there a way to learn the bell codes by an app on iphone?

Really wouldn’t worry too much about them before you start, our LOM told us not to even look at them before IST.

I’m at the end of week 2 now. Didn’t know a single one before starting. Picked up the class ones via bells/flashcards, and the rest you just pick up along the way as you study the subject it relates to.

Jamie195

Edit: This was originally a post to ask about what I could expect on my level 'Pre Placement HSW Medical Level 5' for a G7 signaller role. I have now been and passed so listed below is what happened whilst there, the tests took roughly 1 hour.
  • Questions: Asking various questions about any previous or current medical issues. Standard stuff like have you ever had TB etc.
  • Current medication: Went through my current medication, physically took the prescribed medication with me to show. (Sertraline in my case, was no problem)
  • BMI: Weight and height checks. I am overweight but wasn't an issue.
  • Blood pressure: First test high but ok, second test was perfect.
  • Breath test: Blow test to check for alcohol.
  • Urine test: Wee sample in a tube to check for drugs, this was quite awkward as she stood right outside the cubicle. If you're a shy p*sser then you might struggle :lol:
  • Hearing test: A lengthy test whilst sat in a small sound proof cubicle with headphones on pressing a button when you hear a sound.
  • Eye sight test: I was surprised at how simple this was. Colorblind test, reading out numbers from a book. Covering one eye at a time and reading out letters on a board.
  • Mobility test: Moving you head left to right and touching toes etc, I cannot touch my toes was no issue.
I hope this helps, this was my last hurdle so naturally I was quite nervous but it really wasn't anything to worry about. Just waiting on my official start date now.

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Why do pay talks start 6 weeks after we are supposed to get paid the rise
I believe Network Rail were awaiting all the respective trade unions to submit their claims before commencing meetings.
Oh has pay rise already been decided? What % is going up at the moment.
Nothing discussed yet. Meetings commence next week. However, RMT usually base a 'substantial increase in rates' request on RPI. The figure for November 2023 was 5.3%

Fennel

I believe Network Rail were awaiting all the respective trade unions to submit their claims before commencing meetings.

Nothing discussed yet. Meetings commence next week. However, RMT usually base a 'substantial increase in rates' request on RPI. The figure for November 2023 was 5.3%
Thank you,will this be published somewhere online .

8_Ball

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies to my last question.

I've had a look as best as I can on here but can't see anything about equipment/resources provided on the 10-week residential course.

Should I be looking into getting myself a small laptop or something, or am I better just sticking to pen and paper etc?

lambo79

Just pens and paper. You'll be provided with a laptop. Might be a good idea to get some flashcards as well to help learn bits and some highlighters to indicate key points.

8_Ball

Just pens and paper. You'll be provided with a laptop. Might be a good idea to get some flashcards as well to help learn bits and some highlighters to indicate key points.
Thanks for that - all things I can get my hands on with minimal prep-time.
Just wasn't sure if I'd need to be saving up for tech too.

Its great that NR can provide the kit!

Fennel

Thanks for that - all things I can get my hands on with minimal prep-time.
Just wasn't sure if I'd need to be saving up for tech too.

Its great that NR can provide the kit!
Hi, can

I've had a look as best as I can on here but can't see anything about equipment/resources provided on the 10-week residential course.

Should I be looking into getting myself a small laptop or something, or am I better just sticking to pen and paper etc?
can i ask how long it was from starting your application to getting on IST. And what Grade?

8_Ball

Hi, can

can i ask how long it was from starting your application to getting on IST. And what Grade?
Hey, I applied in mid-december, had my final interview end of January, got my offer last week (pending medical etc).

Got my course at Manchester, starting mid-July.

RailwayRookie

Hey, I applied in mid-december, had my final interview end of January, got my offer last week (pending medical etc).

There really isn't a time frame.. my first day was Nov 2nd and I could have gone to IST the next week..
I instead started in January.. it all varies by managers/availability etc

Woody27

When we did IST, our LOM provided pretty much everything, pen, notebooks, folders, sticky tabs, polly pockets, highlighters, even a hole punch

Fennel

That was quick turnaround. Good luck for IST mate, any tips on interview,what sort of questions were asked etc. thanks

Pblyth90

Hiya, after IST does anyone know if you get any annual leave or do you go straight to your signal box for training the following week?

Frothy_B

Hiya, after IST does anyone know if you get any annual leave or do you go straight to your signal box for training the following week?
That would be between yourself and your LOM. I've heard of people taking a week off after IST to chill out before the next phase of training.

Some places have very rigid training plans and programmes in place for when you get to the box including time on simulators etc, other places are far more relaxed, although I would guess grade/type of signalling play a big factor in this. There's no "one size fits all".

muz379

Established Member
Not long since finished IST , almost everyone on my course took leave the week after finishing , nobody was prevented from doing so , even the people that werent on leave the week after could have been if they'd wanted .

Most LOM's know how intensive it is and should be encouraged to see a trainee recognising the need for a break .

At that point you aren't on a roster for a box so it's not as if you need covering while you take leave .

Hi there is there a way to learn the bell codes by an app on iphone?
There is an app, called "Bell Signals" by Network Rail. It is handy but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Learning just train classifications themselves will be enough, as most bell codes are associated with a regulation and knowing the bell code by itself but not the regulation and how it is sent / dealt with is pretty pointless.

JH9

Does anyone have a more positive outlook on signalling/working at NR? Just to offer some balance.

Quite a few of us on here are about to enter the world of signalling and I think the negativity can be disheartening, but I do appreciate it is all down to personal experience and its not all sunshine and rainbows.