• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Canonite

Evening all! Just started week 8 of IST.
The course so far has been an experience I have no desire to ever endure again

My question for those who’ve already completed new IST is, how hard is week 10 practical?
The first exam is for the weeks you’ve covered, the final exam covers everything but it is weighted more towards the later stuff.
They did chuck in a few random questions that trip a few of us up as I recall.
Week 10 is not easy (I failed it 1st time) but if you put the work in and don’t overdo the revision you’ll be fine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Amberk

Hi,
I've recently been offered a position as a Grade 2 signaller in the Wakefield area. Excited to say the least. Any ideas what the rota is like in that area? 8 hours?? 12 hours etc?
Thanks in advance
8 hours. Wakefield has one of the worst rosters in my opinion

elise84

Hi there, I’ve scoured the last 100 or so pages of the thread but as far as I can tell there have been a few changes to the recruitment process and I wonder if that has changed the nature of the online assessments (the ones you get assigned as soon as you submit) as well? Or would it be the same as always? If anyone could clarify which tests they had to do in a more recent round of recruitment that would be great! Apologies if I have missed something!
I have recently being going through the process, was application form, then a list of questions, followed by a few online tests and a personality test, then seemed to be a wait of a few months, then offered interview with the online assessment to complete before the interview day

Napier

It’s the reality unfortunately, a lot of good people trying to do a good job with one hand tied behind their backs, with their feet in the fire.

I love my job, the job it’s all the BS that comes with it that makes it unpleasant.
That's the top and bottom of it, it is a complete mess in Op's and has been for several years, the management are pretty clueless and sadly don't have the skills required to manage staff.

You both seem to think the same as me
Sadly it seems to be a very common thought.

Open_G

Evening all! Just started week 8 of IST.
The course so far has been an experience I have no desire to ever endure again

My question for those who’ve already completed new IST is, how hard is week 10 practical?
I managed to pass all the rest of IST with few issues. Managed to royally mess up my final practical though- probably nerves.. Misinterpreted a rule from very early on and then had a total blind spot with reminder appliances. None of it is overtly hard, you’ll have done everything several times. (WDM’s, SPADS, Examining the line, TC failures, UWC’s and the “other” line blockage). One module fail can lead onto another though.

Toughest bit was then waiting 3 weeks for my resit which I had to do pretty much cold having not touched the SIM bar going in and doing the back desk for myself for a couple of hours and running a couple of trains the morning of the resit.

It’s not the end of the world if you fail. (It did feel like it though)
It seems like a world away now.

Fennel

Can anyone offer any advice, this is the 2nd time ive been offered an interview, first time a year ago and withdrawn my application as didn't think i had enough operational experience to be successful, I'm now back at interview stage again this week Its for the signaller role based out of the signalling centre in Birmingham - I currently work in network operations for national express. Anything that will help me be successful be appreciated
Well done mate, can i ask when did you apply and did your online tests, i applied and completed my online test in January and still waiting to hear back. Wondering how long they usually take , i live in Birmingham, although couldn’t see any vacancy so applied one in Crewe. I have been accepted as PC but my heart is with signalling.

Jamie195

Absolutely over the moon, I now have my start date for a G7 role at York ROC and my employee number! Hopefully starting IST 8th April, if anyone would like a timeline from application to job offer let me know.

The Puddock

My suggestion would be if you've not already joined the RMT, then do so today. Once you're a member your local rep will be able to advise you.

Anglia_User

My suggestion would be if you've not already joined the RMT, then do so today. Once you're a member your local rep will be able to advise you.
Hey the Puddock, I am indeed a member of RMT (I was formerly TSSA when I worked for a TOC) the rep mentioned that there is the 12 week rule for internal candidates, but said that this didn’t include ‘newbies’. I wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any similar issues before I contacted HR

Hey the Puddock, I am indeed a member of RMT (I was formerly TSSA when I worked for a TOC) the rep mentioned that there is the 12 week rule for internal candidates, but said that this didn’t include ‘newbies’. I wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any similar issues before I contacted HR
Thank you for your reply by the way.

Fennel

Absolutely over the moon, I now have my start date for a G7 role at York ROC and my employee number! Hopefully starting IST 8th April, if anyone would like a timeline from application to job offer let me know.
Please do share. It will help calm us down.

Please also share interview experience and questions the asked . Thank you

Afternoon All,

I was hoping for some advice if anyone was willing to share their view. I recently started as a trainee signaller and was told that my IST course would be at the start of January 2024. That date then got put back a week to 15th January. I was then told by my LOM that I had been missed off of the training ‘list’ for signalling school, and other trainees in my box were also missed. I left a job with a much higher salary, and accepted that I would be on a grade 2 salary while I trained. I’ve been at NR 3 months now and wondered if I would have an argument for my grade to be increased as it was not my fault that IST has been delayed.

Any views would be appreciated.
I’d be surprised if they agreed with your argument for higher pay I’m afraid.

In terms of being delayed - at best, you might have successfully passed IST first time at all stages, and had a course with no interruptions (like Christmas/Easter etc) meaning you progressed out of signalling school and into box training 11 or 12 weeks after you began IST. But that’s not guaranteed - frequently people fail, or are unwell, or courses have no tutors for a week - any of that would delay you getting upto to box training grade.

Basically I don’t think anyone can prove that they would definitely be on a higher grade at a specific date.
But definitely chat with the RMT and your LOM, they can probably help in other ways like finding crossing keeper jobs or experience doing other things to help you in the long term.

Anglia_User

In terms of being delayed - at best, you might have successfully passed IST first time at all stages, and had a course with no interruptions (like Christmas/Easter etc) meaning you progressed out of signalling school and into box training 11 or 12 weeks after you began IST. But that’s not guaranteed - frequently people fail, or are unwell, or courses have no tutors for a week - any of that would delay you getting upto to box training grade.

Basically I don’t think anyone can prove that they would definitely be on a higher grade at a specific date.
But definitely chat with the RMT and your LOM, they can probably help in other ways like finding crossing keeper jobs or experience doing other things to help you in the long term.
Hey End of the tunnel, that’s good advice, thank you. I hadn’t actually thought of it like that I guess.

Fennel

Just on this. I know your pay starts the day you start your IST, now if after completing your IST there isn’t any box available, would you still be getting paid until they assign you a box.

Yawb09

Applied for the CSA job, does anyone know how long it takes to hear outcome from completing the assessments?
N how long it takes further to get a booking for the medical tests

Just on this. I know your pay starts the day you start your IST, now if after completing your IST there isn’t any box available, would you still be getting paid until they assign you a box.
Your pay starts when your contract starts, not when you start IST. And then you’ll get paid till you leave the company, they don’t just stop paying you! You won’t get off training pay until you’re in a box (depending on your contract) but you’ll absolutely get paid while job hunting.

RailwayRookie

Your pay starts when your contract starts, not when you start IST. And then you’ll get paid till you leave the company, they don’t just stop paying you! You won’t get off training pay until you’re in a box (depending on your contract) but you’ll absolutely get paid while job hunting.
To add more to this... if you have a destination box offered already and it is 6 or above, then you are paid at Grade 4 between finishing IST and Passing out competent on said box .

Fennel

Oh , someone here said pay starts with the IST , so technically if you fail in your final test at week 10 you spent nearly 2 months without pay and end up not having a job. And you resigned from your previous job too.

To add more to this... if you have a destination box offered already and it is 6 or above, then you are paid at Grade 4 between finishing IST and Passing out competent on said box .
Thank you.

CoachB

Oh , someone here said pay starts with the IST , so technically if you fail in your final test at week 10 you spent nearly 2 months without pay and end up not having a job. And you resigned from your previous job too.

Thank you.
No your pay starts from your start date (which is when your contract starts, not when you start in a box) so for example my start date is the 8th April so I will get paid from that date, you normally start signalling school 2 weeks after your start date so you can carry out the e learning and other tasks your LOM carrys out with you.

Fennel

No your pay starts from your start date (which is when your contract starts, not when you start in a box) so for example my start date is the 8th April so I will get paid from that date, you normally start signalling school 2 weeks after your start date so you can carry out the e learning and other tasks your LOM carrys out with you.
Make sense. Thank you.

Can i ask your timeline . I did my online assessment on 23 jan . Not sure how long it will be before an interview if i do make it .

CoachB

Make sense. Thank you.

Can i ask your timeline . I did my online assessment on 23 jan . Not sure how long it will be before an interview if i do make it .
My timeline is a bit different as I've came off a reserve list but I applied back at the end of March and was offered an interview about 3 weeks later to take place 9 days after the email. I was informed of the outcome via email on the 2nd May that I had been unsuccessful but good enough to be put on the reserve list.
I then received a phonecall out of the blue on the 4th December asking if I could attend a motivational fit interview on the 12th and was then offered the job on the 14th with a initial start date of the 8th April and signalling school of the 22nd April. Currently going through the onboarding process at the moment which has been a bit frustrating but we're getting there.

Last edited:

Jamie195

Apologies for the long post, but hopefully some people may find this 2023/2024 job application to confirmed start date useful. I'm sure all application timelines will be drastically different but here is mine.

Grade 7 Signaller at York ROC:

21st November 2023
Initial application:
-Basic questions; do you have the right to work in the UK etc.
-Multiple choice questions such as: your friends are drinking the night before the shift, what do you do? You list the 1st, 2nd and 3rd preference. I found this quite strange and difficult, but it does make you think and choose a decision.
-Application questions: Questions to be answered in around 200–300 words. For example, why do you want to be a signaler?
This took a few hours to do. Take your time, read the questions and come back to it. You do not have to finish it in one go.

8th December 2023 (2 weeks and 3 days since application)
Aptitude test email:
-Aptitude test/signaler ability: This was totally different to what I expected but basically just different scenarios - for example, remembering where the shapes on screen were.
-I cannot help a great deal with this because I had already passed the signaler ability test within the last 6 months, this email was just to let me know that my application had moved to the assessment stage.

19th December 2023 (4 weeks since application)
Interview email:
-Asked to attend a virtual interview on Thursday 18th January.
-Had to confirm attendance by email.
-Hade to upload documents to an ID portal; ID, proof of DOB, proof of address.
-A PDF is also supplied with interview tips such as the S.T.A.R method.

16th January 2024 (8 weeks since application)
-Informal visit to York ROC to have a look around and ask questions.

18th January 2024 (8 weeks and 2 days since application)
-Virtual interview that lasted 45 minutes with 2 people on screen, 1 asking questions and the other typing my answers. It was honestly very relaxed, they were friendly and professional.
-I wore a white shirt and a black tie. Simple but smart.
-I was asked expected questions regarding what you know about Network Rail and its role, asked about signaller training etc.
-Non technical skills; use the STAR (Situation/Task/Action/Result) method and sell yourself. For example: Provide an example of when you worked in a high pressure situation.
-There was also a signaller assessment/roleplay questions relating a simulated scenario. For example, this has happened - what would you do first?
-Tips: Be yourself, be confident, research Network Rail, research the role, prepare to talk about scenarios where you have worked in a high pressure situation, research the safety culture at NR.

19th January 2024 (8 weeks and 3 days since application)
Phone call the next day to offer me the job!
-Call and an email to offer the job subject to conditions.
-Proposed start date 25th March 2024, proposed IST date 8th April 2024
-Sent a PDF with information and medical requirements etc.

24th January 2024: (9 weeks and 1 day since application)
Onboarding emails (3 emails)
-Email 1 (Contract/offer pack)
-Email 2 (DBS checks)
-Email 3 (Employment history)
I completed the DBS portal and sent all relevant signed documents back the same day.

25th January 2024: (9 weeks and 2 days since application)
-Email asking me to submit ID documents for criminal record check

6th February 2024: (11 weeks since application)
-DBS Arrived by post

9th February 2024: (11 weeks and 3 days since application)
Email for booked medical
-Appointment date: Thursday 15th February 2024

15th February 2024: (12 weeks and 2 days since application)
Appointment Duration: 90 minutes
Appointment Date & Time: Thursday, 15th February 2024 at 1:30 pm
Appointment Type: Pre Placement HSW Medical Level 5
  • Questions: Asking various questions about any previous or current medical issues. Standard stuff like have you ever had TB etc.
  • Current medication: Went through my current medication, physically took the prescribed medication with me to show. (Sertraline in my case, was no problem)
  • BMI: Weight and height checks. I am overweight but wasn't an issue.
  • Blood pressure: First test high but ok, second test was perfect.
  • Breath test: Blow test to check for alcohol.
  • Urine test: Wee sample in a tube to check for drugs, this was quite awkward as she stood right outside the cubicle. If you're a shy p*sser then you might struggle :lol:
  • Hearing test: A lengthy test whilst sat in a small sound proof cubicle with headphones on pressing a button when you hear a sound.
  • Eye sight test: I was surprised at how simple this was. Colorblind test, reading out numbers from a book. Covering one eye at a time and reading out letters on a board.
  • Mobility test: Moving you head left to right and touching toes etc. I cannot touch my toes was no issue.
20th February 2024: (13 weeks since application)
Pre-employment checks are complete!
-Confirmed start date (25th March)
-Employee number.
-Line manager to get in touch.

I hope this helps. If anyone else is starting at York ROC on 25th March get in touch!

Last edited:

ROCsteadycrew

Thanks for posting that excellent information Jamie, I'm sure that will help many present and future applicants.