• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CoachB

I've been informed that I've been added to the reserves list. I'm curious, do candidates often receive further communication after being placed on this list?
After being put on the list you won't hear anything unless they are phoning to offer you a job.

I had forgot about it as I had been on it previously and nothing happened but this time I received a call around 7 months after being put on the reserve list.

muz379

Established Member
Hi my portal now says "next stage assessment center" could anyone tell me what the assessment center is like? I haven't had any actual details but I'd like to be prepared
Someone I know has just been recently invited to an "assessment centre" on a set date, they were also emailed a link to complete a scenario based assessment . Unless its changed the scenario assessment is you recording your response to a given scenario . My advice would be think before you respond , and take your time , they aren't looking for perfect or for you to respond how a signaller would at this point because that is what training is for , but they are looking for clear communication abilities .

In terms of the interview . In my experience and others I have spoken to it is a fairly relaxed interview . They want to know what you know about the job and network rail as a whole , why you want to be a signaller/work at NWR and then 3 or 4 example based questions to establish if you have some of the transferrable skills form the signalling opportunieis page . Again they are not expecting you to give signalling or even railway examples , but just think of examples of times you have had to remain calm or focussed under pressure , managed difficult situations . If you can then think of examples of times that you have been responsible for the safety of others or had to follow set rules or procedures as these will definitely be strong relatable examples .

Someone I know has just been recently invited to an "assessment centre" on a set date, they were also emailed a link to complete a scenario based assessment . Unless its changed the scenario assessment is you recording your response to a given scenario . My advice would be think before you respond , and take your time , they aren't looking for perfect or for you to respond how a signaller would at this point because that is what training is for , but they are looking for clear communication abilities .

In terms of the interview . In my experience and others I have spoken to it is a fairly relaxed interview . They want to know what you know about the job and network rail as a whole , why you want to be a signaller/work at NWR and then 3 or 4 example based questions to establish if you have some of the transferrable skills form the signalling opportunieis page . Again they are not expecting you to give signalling or even railway examples , but just think of examples of times you have had to remain calm or focussed under pressure , managed difficult situations . If you can then think of examples of times that you have been responsible for the safety of others or had to follow set rules or procedures as these will definitely be strong relatable examples .

Thank you so much. So is there anymore psychometric style testing?

muz379

Established Member
Thank you so much. So is there anymore psychometric style testing?
As far as I am aware no , I know the recruitment process has changed recently but my understanding its the pre assessment centre stages that are different . Good luck

DrTrickDish

Hi all, does anyone have any insight into the medical process/restrictions? Had my first medical on 8th Jan which found I had high blood pressure so my fitness was deferred. Had a follow up call (should have been in person but they messed up) on 8th Feb where I was told my weight might also be a problem??? I asked how much I have to lose and got 'I don't know but there has to be some difference then it'll be up to the Dr.' Got another face to face appointment on Monday and I have no idea how this is going to go. I'm trying to do something weight loss wise but it's something I've struggled with my whole life and won't change overnight. I've had an abundance of tests and have no other health issues, I passed all the mobility tests at the first medical, plus my BP is controlled now but I'm petrified they're just going to tell me I'm too fat for the job. Any advice?

Sorry for the long post!

Mgees

I have recently being going through the process, was application form, then a list of questions, followed by a few online tests and a personality test, then seemed to be a wait of a few months, then offered interview with the online assessment to complete before the interview day
Thank you for replying to me! Seems all interviews have returned to face to face now as well

jlbj1994

In case it helps anyone so you know what to (possibly) expect, I applied middle of January and had my interview on Wednesday just gone (online). Had a call yesterday to say I was successful and start in July. Applied for a grade 2 trainee signaller role
Excited to get started!

The Puddock

Thank you for replying to me! Seems all interviews have returned to face to face now as well
No, online video interviews for external candidates is still the default across the company. Recruitment is allowing some areas to do face to face interviews if the LOMs badger them about it but they’re very reluctant because the whole sytem with Ambertrack is geared towards using the online package.

Liam12345123

In case it helps anyone so you know what to (possibly) expect, I applied middle of January and had my interview on Wednesday just gone (online). Had a call yesterday to say I was successful and start in July. Applied for a grade 2 trainee signaller role
Excited to get started!
Was that for Crewe?

Jenny

See attached in regards to this!
Interesting, thank you. So I should get my relief up lift from the start if I’m right?

I've been informed that I've been added to the reserves list. I'm curious, do candidates often receive further communication after being placed on this list?
I got a phone call about a month later offering me a position

Mgees

No, online video interviews for external candidates is still the default across the company. Recruitment is allowing some areas to do face to face interviews if the LOMs badger them about it but they’re very reluctant because the whole sytem with Ambertrack is geared towards using the online package.
Interesting, guess I’m the exception as my interview is face to face, but the scenario test portion was online. Thanks for info!

CoachB

Finally got through all the onboarding checks. Got my email through not long ago confirming my start date for the 8th April. Don't know where signalling school will be yet but excited and nervous to get started.

Buiadh

Finally got through all the onboarding checks. Got my email through not long ago confirming my start date for the 8th April. Don't know where signalling school will be yet but excited and nervous to get started.

Last edited:

CoachB

I think we'll be on the same course. I've had contact at the end of last week from my line manager regarding meeting him on the 8th.

I'm the same - nervous but very keen!
It's quite possible, I was initially told my start date would be the 8th April (nice to finally be confirmed) and I would start signalling school on the 22nd but don't know where yet.

Should be either Perth or Shettleston (Glasgow) since they're the only 2 in Scotland.

Luckily I've already met my LOM so had the chance to ask her what the first two weeks look like in terms of getting set up, e learning, etc.

wenguin

Hi, I have been given my start date of 2nd April but not been advised course date or heard from my LOM yet, how close to start date do you normally get advised where and what is going to happen on the 2nd. Cheers Adele

Flashbang

Final confirmation this morning of my Employee number and start date of the 25th March with IST starting 8th April in York.

The Puddock

Just a general note of caution but all the people who share their start date and IST details on this thread are making it extremely easy for HR and Ops management to identify them individually. It might not be much of an issue now but it‘s something to consider in case you ever want to post anything more controversial in the future. For example if we get into another industrial dispute and the company does something you don’t like, you might find that posting your opinion about it on here has consequences in the real world. The NR social media policy applies as soon as you’ve signed your employment contract…

Jamie195

Final confirmation this morning of my Employee number and start date of the 25th March with IST starting 8th April in York.
Brilliant! Exactly the same dates as me for York ROC. Still waiting for a manager to get in touch to let me know what happens on the 25th.

PandaPop

It's quite possible, I was initially told my start date would be the 8th April (nice to finally be confirmed) and I would start signalling school on the 22nd but don't know where yet.

Should be either Perth or Shettleston (Glasgow) since they're the only 2 in Scotland.

Luckily I've already met my LOM so had the chance to ask her what the first two weeks look like in terms of getting set up, e learning, etc.
I am on the same course, was told this morning its Perth.

No one told me what the first two weeks look like though, what's the script?

GLB92

Hey all. Just wondering if anyone has any information on how reserves list work? I was placed on a reserve list last August for a Grade 3 & 7, was told I’d be on for 6 months. In November I noticed a Grade 2 and a Grade 7 had both been advertised and I was told I’d have to reapply but didn’t get much information as to why. I had already done the ability tests etc so I got an interview right away for both of these which I had in January. The Grade 2 was unsuccessful but I’ve been put on the reserve list for the Grade 7 again. I’ve been told the reason why the reserve couldn’t be used from before is because this was a different interview pack to the one I had last time and this time was a G7-9 (guessing the last one was a 3-7?) and I’ll be on this reserve list for 12 months. Do I need to reapply if anything comes up? Am I now only on a reserve for anything grade 7-9? My feedback was considerably better this reserve than the last one too. Does anyone also know if there are more than one reserve list for a job and if there is an order of these?
Sorry for the long message! Hopefully someone can have some advice on if they think it’s likely I’ll get a call at some point?

CoachB

I am on the same course, was told this morning its Perth.

No one told me what the first two weeks look like though, what's the script?
Cool! Hopefully I'll get it confirmed soon too.

First two weeks is mainly e learning before signalling school. Depending on what you're LOM thinks they might put you alongside the current signallers to see how they work, take you up the line to see all the signal boxes, going through your contract, advising what e learning is of most priority.

Each LOM has their own way of doing it.

Hey all. Just wondering if anyone has any information on how reserves list work? I was placed on a reserve list last August for a Grade 3 & 7, was told I’d be on for 6 months. In November I noticed a Grade 2 and a Grade 7 had both been advertised and I was told I’d have to reapply but didn’t get much information as to why. I had already done the ability tests etc so I got an interview right away for both of these which I had in January. The Grade 2 was unsuccessful but I’ve been put on the reserve list for the Grade 7 again. I’ve been told the reason why the reserve couldn’t be used from before is because this was a different interview pack to the one I had last time and this time was a G7-9 (guessing the last one was a 3-7?) and I’ll be on this reserve list for 12 months. Do I need to reapply if anything comes up? Am I now only on a reserve for anything grade 7-9? My feedback was considerably better this reserve than the last one too. Does anyone also know if there are more than one reserve list for a job and if there is an order of these?
Sorry for the long message! Hopefully someone can have some advice on if they think it’s likely I’ll get a call at some point?
I have been on the reserve list twice and on the second time I was called around 7 months later and offered a grade 2 training role.

My understanding (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong) of it seems to be that if you are put on it after applying for a specific grade/box then you are only called up if someone who got offered that role then pulls out, fails signalling school or if the exact same role becomes available within 18 weeks of it being filled or in my case they were going to hire grade 2 trainee signalers for my area so looked at the reserve list for my area first before advertising externally.

Last edited:

GLB92

Hmm. Strange. Says in my feedback that I’d be called if anything in the area came up. When I questioned the recruitment lady recently she confirmed it would be anything in the area and could also be considered for lower grades and that I’ll stay on for 12 months. The previous time they said 6 months so I’m wondering if different grades have different lengths or if there is levels of reserves! I also find it weird that I was out for reserve for grade 7 but turned down for the grade 2 and received the emails at basically the same time

Cool! Hopefully I'll get it confirmed soon too.

First two weeks is mainly e learning before signalling school. Depending on what you're LOM thinks they might put you alongside the current signallers to see how they work, take you up the line to see all the signal boxes, going through your contract, advising what e learning is of most priority.

Each LOM has their own way of doing it.

I have been on the reserve list twice and on the second time I was called around 7 months later and offered a grade 2 training role.

My understanding (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong) of it seems to be that if you are put on it after applying for a specific grade/box then you are only called up if someone who got offered that role then pulls out, fails signalling school or if the exact same role becomes available within 18 weeks of it being filled or in my case they were going to hire grade 2 trainee signalers for my area so looked at the reserve list for my area first before advertising externally.

Last edited:

CoachB

Hmm. Strange. Says in my feedback that I’d be called if anything in the area came up. When I questioned the recruitment lady recently she confirmed it would be anything in the area and could also be considered for lower grades and that I’ll stay on for 12 months. The previous time they said 6 months so I’m wondering if different grades have different lengths or if there is levels of reserves! I also find it weird that I was out for reserve for grade 7 but turned down for the grade 2 and received the emails at basically the same time
It is a strange one as there does seem to be some guidelines behind it but it all seems to come down to the LOM who's doing the hiring on if you get the call or not.

I know where you're coming from with applications as I had previously went for 2 jobs that had came up at the same time and one I got all the way through to reserve list but the other one didn't even make it to interview even though I submitted the exact same application to both.

Don't give up hope though as there are plenty of us on here that have had the call (either not long after or several months later) after being put on the reserve list but keep putting your application in for any that you see

GLB92

It is a strange one as there does seem to be some guidelines behind it but it all seems to come down to the LOM who's doing the hiring on if you get the call or not.

I know where you're coming from with applications as I had previously went for 2 jobs that had came up at the same time and one I got all the way through to reserve list but the other one didn't even make it to interview even though I submitted the exact same application to both.

Don't give up hope though as there are plenty of us on here that have had the call (either not long after or several months later) after being put on the reserve list but keep putting your application in for any that you see
Thank you! I’ll keep my fingers crossed :)

JWilliams

passed the last theory test today final observation is on Monday. What an intense period IST is!

Attachments

• IMG_2677.jpeg
    IMG_2677.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67