• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

JWilliams

passed the last theory test today final observation is on Monday. What an intense period IST is!

Attachments

• IMG_2677.jpeg
    IMG_2677.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buckshee

Hello everyone I applied last year for a signallers role and made it to the interview stage but was unsuccessful and was was placed on the reserve list I have noticed jobs are available to my local area do I need to re apply and go through the whole filling in forms online assessments or do I just say I am interested in the role advertised

Thanks

CoachB

Hello everyone I applied last year for a signallers role and made it to the interview stage but was unsuccessful and was was placed on the reserve list I have noticed jobs are available to my local area do I need to re apply and go through the whole filling in forms online assessments or do I just say I am interested in the role advertised

Thanks
You need to reapply and fill out the application. Luckily though you don't need to redo the online assessments again if you're within 6 months of your last application as your scores are kept on file for 6 months.

Fennel

Thanks
I guess your test score is only valid for 6 months. Thats what i was told, I didn’t get to the interview stage though but was told I wouldn’t have to take another test upto 6 months.

FWC7707

Start IST soon and I’ve noticed a lot of people saying how intense and difficult it is for the 10 weeks. Is there anything I can do to help me prepare beforehand?

muz379

Established Member
Start IST soon and I’ve noticed a lot of people saying how intense and difficult it is for the 10 weeks. Is there anything I can do to help me prepare beforehand?
If not already familiar with then learn the nato phonetic alphabet . You will be using it every day both at training and as a signaller regardless of where you end up working .

Some people try and learn the bell codes as well assuming you are doing Absolute Block IST . Personally I found I "learned" a lot of them before I started then forgot them quite easilly , it was only when we studied the relevant regulation and saw how the bell code was used did I properly learn and remember them .

If you do decide to try and learn some there is a network rail bell codes app in the play store if you are an android user - Not sure if its available on IOS .

Napier

Just a general note of caution but all the people who share their start date and IST details on this thread are making it extremely easy for HR and Ops management to identify them individually. It might not be much of an issue now but it‘s something to consider in case you ever want to post anything more controversial in the future. For example if we get into another industrial dispute and the company does something you don’t like, you might find that posting your opinion about it on here has consequences in the real world. The NR social media policy applies as soon as you’ve signed your employment contract…
Thats the giddyness of being wet behind the ears, they'll soon learn, or at least lets hope they do as an example of wanting to share something controversial those who are overly enthused by joining the LNE Route and indeed the N&E segmentmight want to read this, simply tap the link where it says read full decision, 62 pages of PDF but the last 10 or so is regarding the N&E management skills and tactics, the shear disregard for the the rules that protect people.

They say bullying, corruption and nepotism doesn't exist, said management have also had a promotion one moved areas.

Last edited:

DEvans

Hello

I am scheduled for two Signaller interviews within the next two weeks, Grades3/4

I am currently a POM, my question is regarding the % shift allowance for a grade3/4 box.

The salary is unfortunately an issue and a risk. I don’t want to be out of pocket if I am successful?

JustG

anyone know how long after your medical they contact you to give you your start date? Had mine last week and saw other people here saying they start IST on 8th April, so I thought I’d be called up to start then as well, but not heard anything yet.

LearnerJ

anyone know how long after your medical they contact you to give you your start date? Had mine last week and saw other people here saying they start IST on 8th April, so I thought I’d be called up to start then as well, but not heard anything yet.
I had my medical in October and still havent yet started IST date is 22nd April. I was expecting a quick turnaround too but didnt happen that way.. nearly there now though! just so you are aware of how long it could potentially take :)

Flashbang

Nearly 4months later I finally got a start date so I wouldn’t expect to be starting on the next course it’ll depend on who else is lined up around the country etc

CoachB

When you were offered the job did they give you an initial start date and ist date in the offer email?

Majority of the time those are the dates that end up confirmed after all the checks have been completed. The IST one can take longer to confirm as there's other factors.