• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Repent

Thank you! Fingers crossed. Toughest 10 weeks of my life.
Reading this has got me intrigued, what is it that makes ist so tough? I start mine soon, so any heads up of what to expect would be great.

Also, what boxes are in the Scunthorpe area?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul1050

Good Evening all,

First post but been reading all the fantastic information available. I have just completed my online application for a Signaller Grade 2 role and received what I assume is an automated email inviting me to complete the online tests within 72 hours.
I admit I have tried not to initially read to much about filling in the initial online application as I wanted to be as honest as I could and use as much of my personal experiences in past jobs as I could. Are the online tests the psychometric test like Arctic shores do for Careers like Border Force/Immigration and I think I completed one for Molson Coors once ? I did very well on these so would give me more confidence and relax more but realise it may be nothing like these at all ! Or are they completely different assessments

Many thanks

Open_G

Reading this has got me intrigued, what is it that makes ist so tough? I start mine soon, so any heads up of what to expect would be great.

Many thanks
IST in a nutshell.

“Ok here’s a bunch of information… here’s a load more… and some more…. Did you understand that? Ok, you kind of understood it… here’s a bit more info”

There’s also loads of practical time on the SIM but the sheer volume of new info is the challenge.

wenguin

Many thanks
Hi repent, I am awaiting starting as a trainee for the scunthorpe area too, have my start date but not course date yet :)

bouff34

Hello

I am scheduled for two Signaller interviews within the next two weeks, Grades3/4

I am currently a POM, my question is regarding the % shift allowance for a grade3/4 box.

The salary is unfortunately an issue and a risk. I don’t want to be out of pocket if I am successful?
There isn't a shift allowance unless you are a relief signaller? You do get an extra 10% basic pay for any hours between 2200 and 0600 though. And Sundays are all overtime at 150%.

Kraken

IST in a nutshell.

“Ok here’s a bunch of information… here’s a load more… and some more…. Did you understand that? Ok, you kind of understood it… here’s a bit more info”

There’s also loads of practical time on the SIM but the sheer volume of new info is the challenge.

That’s a really good summary, just when you think you might be getting to grips with a confusing new concept you’ve been taught a funnel is rammed down your throat and the next concept is piled in on top.

Repent

Hi repent, I am awaiting starting as a trainee for the scunthorpe area too, have my start date but not course date yet :)
Ah great, I have both my start date and course start date, just waiting first day instructions from my LOM, I also have a induction date.

So do you know where the boxes are in the Scunthorpe area? I’m from Doncaster, and know Scunthorpe a bit

MylesHSG

Hello

I am scheduled for two Signaller interviews within the next two weeks, Grades3/4

I am currently a POM, my question is regarding the % shift allowance for a grade3/4 box.

The salary is unfortunately an issue and a risk. I don’t want to be out of pocket if I am successful?

Are you talking about relief premiums? Depends on the distances between the boxes covered.

Or night shift premium? Will be about £20 a shift grade 3/4.

Remember the basic advertised salary doesn't include rostered Sundays for residents, if it's a 4 line roster you are guaranteed 12 a year minimum (-1 for Summer A/L). Doesn't include any London/SE allowances, night shift premiums, Holiday Supplement Pay, bonus scheme (if they bring it back) etc etc.

A grade 3 can easily make 50k doing majority of their rostered Sundays and a little RDW.

wenguin

Ah great, I have both my start date and course start date, just waiting first day instructions from my LOM, I also have a induction date.

So do you know where the boxes are in the Scunthorpe area? I’m from Doncaster, and know Scunthorpe a bit
Sadly no I'm not from around here and not seen any of not whilst driving my hgv. I'm waiting for LOM aswell. Got start date and induction date but no course date or instructions for first day.

godfreycomplex

Established Member

Which boxes did you have in mind?

DEvans

Are you talking about relief premiums? Depends on the distances between the boxes covered.

Or night shift premium? Will be about £20 a shift grade 3/4.

Remember the basic advertised salary doesn't include rostered Sundays for residents, if it's a 4 line roster you are guaranteed 12 a year minimum (-1 for Summer A/L). Doesn't include any London/SE allowances, night shift premiums, Holiday Supplement Pay, bonus scheme (if they bring it back) etc etc.

A grade 3 can easily make 50k doing majority of their rostered Sundays and a little RDW.
Thank you for the reply. It’s a Grade 3 box, Herefordshire. I’m unsure of the % shift allowance.

Fennel

What are the locations near to Birmingham for signallers. I recently applied at Rugby and it came back with” either they have enough candidates or i am but too far from it. I now applied for one in stoke which seems at similar distance anyway. I haven’t seen one in Birmingham area for ages now.

SuperS16v

What are the locations near to Birmingham for signallers. I recently applied at Rugby and it came back with” either they have enough candidates or i am but too far from it. I now applied for one in stoke which seems at similar distance anyway. I haven’t seen one in Birmingham area for ages now.

Pretty much all Birmingham jobs are based at the West Midlands Signalling Centre (WMSC) and Aston signalling box, both based in saltley - Birmingham. They recently advertised.

Wouldn't expect much recruitment in Birmingham area signallers for a while now as they won't be backfilling trainee roles this year.

Fennel

Pretty much all Birmingham jobs are based at the West Midlands Signalling Centre (WMSC) and Aston signalling box, both based in saltley - Birmingham. They recently advertised.
Thanks, when did they advertise? Last time I remember it was in august/September time last year. Do you know what commute time they accept. Rugby was around 1hr and wasn’t accepted for this role.

Repent

Which boxes did you have in mind?
Hi, I don’t know just how large “Scunthorpe area” is, if you could enlighten me as to what boxes are within this area? And any other information about particular ones that would be amazing, I’m assuming I will be assigned to one of there is a vacancy there.

Last edited:

mac

Hi, I don’t know just how large “Scunthorpe area” is, if you could enlighten me as to what boxes are within this area? And any other information about particular ones that would be amazing, I’m assuming I will be assigned to one of there is a vacancy there.
Just off the top of my head with boxes you have Brigg, Kirton lime sidings,, Scunthorpe and I think Beckingham, Goxhill as well as a few grade 1s

Ducatist4

If they are doing twelve hour shifts would you really want to to be spending an additional two hours travelling every day? I certainly wouldn't! And even more so in a safety critical role such as signalling.

godfreycomplex

Established Member

What mac said

MylesHSG

Thank you for the reply. It’s a Grade 3 box, Herefordshire. I’m unsure of the % shift allowance.

I'm unsure what exactly you mean by shift allowance, it's not a phase I've heard in regards to signallers pay/terms.

DEvans

I'm unsure what exactly you mean by shift allowance, it's not a phase I've heard in regards to signallers pay/terms.
A percentage on top of the hourly rate, calculated against the basic salary wage (12.5%, 15%, 20%)

Last edited:

HolyRail

There's a job advertisement for grade 6 Signaller in Stoke on Trent. The advert states "you will be in an office in Stoke"

But as far as I can tell, there's no ROC in Stoke?

So when they say office are they referring to a box? Or will it be an office which is essentially a smaller ROC?

Cheers

SuperS16v

Thanks, when did they advertise? Last time I remember it was in august/September time last year. Do you know what commute time they accept. Rugby was around 1hr and wasn’t accepted for this role.

I think that was the last time, they put those candidates on hold and have now pulled them through. I believe you have to Be within an hour. I know someone who commutes from Evesham

godfreycomplex

Established Member
There's a job advertisement for grade 6 Signaller in Stoke on Trent. The advert states "you will be in an office in Stoke"

But as far as I can tell, there's no ROC in Stoke?

So when they say office are they referring to a box? Or will it be an office which is essentially a smaller ROC?

Cheers
Stoke-on-Trent Signalling Control Centre is located in (and controls) Stoke. Whilst it may bear resemblance to an office (being computer based signalling) it is very much a signal box

HolyRail

Stoke-on-Trent Signalling Control Centre is located in (and controls) Stoke. Whilst it may bear resemblance to an office (being computer based signalling) it is very much a signal box
Thanks very much!

I dont suppose you know if they do the 8 or the 12 hour shifts there do you?