• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scoger

Absolutely over the moon, I now have my start date for a G7 role at York ROC and my employee number! Hopefully starting IST 8th April, if anyone would like a timeline from application to job offer let me know.
I'll see you there I guess I've just had the greenlight to attend on the 8th of April too. Everything still getting organised but hotels and trains ect booked.

Still waiting on joining instructions and need to get all the relevant rule books.

Happy but nervous haha.

Buckshee

Can someone share some experience in regards to interview date, if you are invited to interview will they give you some days to chose from? I am a bit nervous as it is very difficult to get last minute leave in my current situation
I had a face to face one couple of months ago at 9am I asked could I live I as I come of nights at current job they moved it to 1500 and was very happy to do that also thanked them at interview for moving it and they said anything we can do to make it easier not a problem

muz379

Established Member
Just completed week 9. It's tough. Not to put anyone off.

Final observation next week.
Well done , definitely not a course to be taken lightly .

Good luck next week as well .

That was one of the hardest things I found was having to revise for exams whilst still getting sim practice in as well especially for the final observation .

Zowie

I had a face to face one couple of months ago at 9am I asked could I live I as I come of nights at current job they moved it to 1500 and was very happy to do that also thanked them at interview for moving it and they said anything we can do to make it easier not a problem
That's reassuring, thanks.

Fundee on Tay

Hey all,

New to this thread but have just applied for a G2 position at Arbroath, and considering applying to Auchenblae as well.

How long does NR take to get back usually? And what can I expect to happen next?

Zowie

Hey all,

New to this thread but have just applied for a G2 position at Arbroath, and considering applying to Auchenblae as well.

How long does NR take to get back usually? And what can I expect to happen next?
I have read quite a few different posts where people details timeline of their applications. It appears that it is anything from 2 weeks upwards. Take also into consideration lobg BH weekend. If you already completed your online test, next step will be face to face interview

Fundee on Tay

I have read quite a few different posts where people details timeline of their applications. It appears that it is anything from 2 weeks upwards. Take also into consideration lobg BH weekend. If you already completed your online test, next step will be face to face interview
I applied yesterday on Indeed, is it worth applying again directly through Network Rail?

The Puddock

Hey all,

There's no signalbox (or railway!) at Auchenblae, I think they mean Laurencekirk.

After you've submitted your application there is an online psychometric test which, if you pass, may lead to a video scenario and an interview. If you are successful at interview you'll need to pass a medical before you get a start date for training. The whole process can take a few weeks or many months depending on many factors, none of which are in your control.

I applied yesterday on Indeed, is it worth applying again directly through Network Rail?
No. External signaller recruitment is handled through a recruitment agency - if you have applied through Indeed then your application is in and will be scored.

ZackCulross

Hi
I Have been looking at a Grade 7 signaller job in Edinburgh .

Does anyone know the Edinburgh signallers shift pattern for grade 7 ?

I take it the Edinburgh signal box is at Waverley station ?

Thanks
Nice one bud,
I've applied for grade 9

They are looking for 4 grade 9's and 2 grade 7's

My best mate is a grade 9 at Edinburgh signal box, 12 hour shifts, morning and night shift, you'll get a rota etc

And yes signal box is at waverley station in the staff car park

Network rail will get back to via indeed and ask you to apply via the careers portal

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240330_172120_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240330_172120_Chrome.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Baz79

Nice one bud,
I've applied for grade 9

They are looking for 4 grade 9's and 2 grade 7's

My best mate is a grade 9 at Edinburgh signal box, 12 hour shifts, morning and night shift, you'll get a rota etc

And yes signal box is at waverley station in the staff car park

Network rail will get back to via indeed and ask you to apply via the careers portal
Sounds good
What’s shift pattern does he do ?
Thanks

Jamie195

I'll see you there I guess I've just had the greenlight to attend on the 8th of April too. Everything still getting organised but hotels and trains ect booked.

Still waiting on joining instructions and need to get all the relevant rule books.

Happy but nervous haha.
Nice one! What are they doing about eLearning? I started on the 25th March and It took a week to be able to get online lol - although tbh the 10 day eLearning course can easily be done over 2 days!

Scoger

Nice one! What are they doing about eLearning? I started on the 25th March and It took a week to be able to get online lol - although tbh the 10 day eLearning course can easily be done over 2 days!
To be honest I don't seem to have any learning to do. I'm internal so the likely hood is the e learning I did previously was relevant.

Actually had a weeks holiday booked this week then come back to the training.

Will chase today regarding the joining instructions and rule books.

Was it all elearning you've done so far then or you been learning in a signal box too?

Well hopefully I'll catch you there mate.

chrislfc

Word of advice….the e-learning is awful, and gives you very little preparation for IST.

You’ll find that out as you progress! Easy two weeks wages, but I’d have preferred to have been better prepared for IST!

Iddy015

Hi, just a quick question how much of the pre ist ( e -learning) is in the first week 1 exam?

Hi, just a quick question how much of the pre ist ( e -learning) is in the first week 1 exam?

Last edited:

Mgees

Can someone share some experience in regards to interview date, if you are invited to interview will they give you some days to chose from? I am a bit nervous as it is very difficult to get last minute leave in my current situation
I was given 2 dates to choose from; a tues and a thurs in the same week with multiple slots. Check your emails regularly as I believe they are first come first serve. Might differ through grades but this was only last month. Hope that helps?

Scoger

Word of advice….the e-learning is awful, and gives you very little preparation for IST.

You’ll find that out as you progress! Easy two weeks wages, but I’d have preferred to have been better prepared for IST!
Any advice on being better prepared then haha.

Zowie

I was given 2 dates to choose from; a tues and a thurs in the same week with multiple slots. Check your emails regularly as I believe they are first come first serve. Might differ through grades but this was only last month. Hope that helps?
That's perfect, thank you for easing my nerves

Scot09

It’s difficult mate. Week 9 final written in the morning. If I could give you any tips it’s keep upto date with every single subject you do during the day. Go back to your hotel and look over the stuff from that day it helps massively.
Thanks. I was in 2 minds whether to stay at hotel or not as I don’t live that far. But I think I’ll just stay and it’ll give me peace to study. Hope you pass everything you need to.

It’s difficult mate. Week 9 final written in the morning. If I could give you any tips it’s keep upto date with every single subject you do during the day. Go back to your hotel and look over the stuff from that day it helps massively.
Thanks. I was in 2 minds whether to stay at hotel or not as I don’t live that far. But I think I’ll just stay and it’ll give me peace to study. Hope you pass everything you need to. I’m
Thabks, I was in 2 minds whether to stay at hotel or not but I think I will, it will give me peace to study. I hope you passed everything you needed to.

chrislfc

Any advice on being better prepared then haha.

Just be prepared to put the effort in from day one of IST. Day two will blow your mind, think I wrote 14 A4 pages of notes that day.

I passed my week 10 observation yesterday. Personally I found the theory side of things difficult, although I knew I would. Putting it into practice on the sim was much easier.

It’s intense, you’ll have days where you wonder if it’s for you, but depending on the group you have with you, it can also be fantastic.

It gets easier as time goes on, even though the exams/obs get harder each time. Work on getting to grips with the basic early on, and be prepared to put extra effort in outside of class to get to that point. You need to understand the basic principles fairly quickly, because if you don’t it’ll become a struggle. Get used to signalling trains normally, and then the rest slots in as you go along.

Scoger

Just be prepared to put the effort in from day one of IST. Day two will blow your mind, think I wrote 14 A4 pages of notes that day.

I passed my week 10 observation yesterday. Personally I found the theory side of things difficult, although I knew I would. Putting it into practice on the sim was much easier.

It’s intense, you’ll have days where you wonder if it’s for you, but depending on the group you have with you, it can also be fantastic.

It gets easier as time goes on, even though the exams/obs get harder each time. Work on getting to grips with the basic early on, and be prepared to put extra effort in outside of class to get to that point. You need to understand the basic principles fairly quickly, because if you don’t it’ll become a struggle. Get used to signalling trains normally, and then the rest slots in as you go along.
Class, thanks alot for taking the time much appreciated sure the advice will help many

Trackboy

Can someone please tell me about the area covered by New cross gate signal box and roster shift pattern. Thanks.

Sunset route

Established Member
Can someone please tell me about the area covered by New cross gate signal box and roster shift pattern. Thanks.

The whole of the East London Line from Highbury & Islington to New Cross inclusive, New Cross Gate exclusive (fringe with TBROC) & Queens Road Peckham exclusive (fringe with TBROC).
Works a 12hr shift pattern but I’m not sure on the actual rotation.

Fundee on Tay

I’ve just finished doing the online tests, I think I was good at the reaction time ones, ok at multitasking but I found the memory one pretty brutal.

What’s the threshold for passing? And what happens next with my application?

muz379

Established Member
Thabks, I was in 2 minds whether to stay at hotel or not but I think I will, it will give me peace to study. I hope you passed everything you needed to.
I would definitely reccomend it even if you are close , bonding with the rest of the group to help each other out with revision and preparation for observations is in my experience will help a great deal .

I would second this , if you are unclear on a concept , particularly early on make sure that you ask the trainer to explain it in a different way or get someone else in your group to help you understand it .

Also I found that learning how to confidently run the back desk on the simulator early on helped me a lot with normal mode of signalling because you are sending bells and using block instrments as 3 different "signallers" .

Footieboab

Thanks. I was in 2 minds whether to stay at hotel or not as I don’t live that far. But I think I’ll just stay and it’ll give me peace to study. Hope you pass everything you need to.

Thanks. I was in 2 minds whether to stay at hotel or not as I don’t live that far. But I think I’ll just stay and it’ll give me peace to study. Hope you pass everything you need to. I’m

Yeah mate take the hotel. And take the opportunity to study as a group as well. Dunno how to pm on this but if there’s a way and you want to message then feel free

Trackboy

The whole of the East London Line from Highbury & Islington to New Cross inclusive, New Cross Gate exclusive (fringe with TBROC) & Queens Road Peckham exclusive (fringe with TBROC).
Works a 12hr shift pattern but I’m not sure on the actual rotation.
Thanks. It's Grade 7 right?

FWC7707

Forgive me if I’m way off as I’m a complete beginner who hasn’t even started IST yet but I have read on another thread that ETCS may be deployed in the Warrington area. Does this completely change a signallers job or remove the need of signallers at all ?