• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Can someone please explain when are you actually being paid your grade? I understand that during IST everyone is neing paid grade 2 bit what happens next? I know you still have training in your box but foes it mean it is still grade 2? If so, how long it takes?
I found this when searching online last night. It was a Grade 7 job advert from August 2023, so isn’t very old at all. It states after IST you will be supervised at a desk and paid £37k before finally moving up to your Grade 7 wage of £47k later. Not sure how accurate it is now (although it was NR website and pretty recent so I’d assume it’s accurate)

Attachments

• IMG_7500.png
    IMG_7500.png
    301.9 KB · Views: 43
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lpf93

I believe you’re paid g2 during IST,
G4 during location training and then when you’ve ’passed Out’ you get your grade

nom de guerre

I uploaded the pay progression table from the company Q&A document in post 18680 which is on page 623 of this thread. The time needed for location specific training before passing out is highly variable depending on how complicated the location is.

Attachments

• IMG_1512.jpeg
    IMG_1512.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 71

Teuchter

Has anybody who has applied lately notice their online portal change from Online Tests & Assessments to Assessment Centre? I have applied for Grade 9 at Edinburgh. I am just querying as I don’t want to get too excited and get ahead of myself until anything is confirmed. Thanks.

Still showing me Continue Online Tests button, after asking for existing results to be transferred.

dave112

Still showing me Continue Online Tests button, after asking for existing results to be transferred.
ring them and get them to transfer it should sat complete. I had exactly the same thing and lost out on going to the next stage as they had not transferred my scores and they had moved onto the next stage.

NRnoob

Hi guys,

I've been fortunate enough to have been given a verbal offer of employment late last week via a phone call for a signaller position. I was informed that HR will now sort out paperwork etc and it shouldn't take too long.

What sort of timeframe am I looking at here to receive the email, before I get too antsy and ring them for an update? Also, what are usually the next steps with the paperwork sent via email. (Medical etc.)

CoachB

Hi guys,

I've been fortunate enough to have been given a verbal offer of employment late last week via a phone call for a signaller position. I was informed that HR will now sort out paperwork etc and it shouldn't take too long.

What sort of timeframe am I looking at here to receive the email, before I get too antsy and ring them for an update? Also, what are usually the next steps with the paperwork sent via email. (Medical etc.)
I got my offer email the afternoon of the day I was offered the job over the phone followed by the onboarding emails the following day.

Onboarding emails are to get dbs checks, tax history, contact signed and give you pension options.

Medical will follow at a later date.

Not sure what current lead times are for confirming offers but if it's been a week I would chase it up to be safe.

Zowie

Can someone clarify for me as I have not received any further information from recruitment team. I have face to face interview in couple of days. Confirmation email says final stage interview in person but candidate pages says assesment centre. Is there anything else to expect apart from interview? It is external application, thanks in advance

Brett55

Hey guys,

My contact starts on the 22nd, what date is payday? Is it a month in advance?

Also anyone attending the IST in Newport next month?

Zowie

Anyone can share some experience in regards to in person group exercises please?
I've searched this forum and there is not much information in regards to that

Bradts

Anyone can share some experience in regards to in person group exercises please?
I've searched this forum and there is not much information in regards to that
Hi Zowie, I can only share my experience which was that the assessment centre was in fact just an interview.

Albeit “just” an interview doesn’t mean to say it was easy. I started preparing 1 1/2 weeks prior to allow things to sink in. Like you, I saw assessment centre and thought I’d be there with other candidates doing some group tasks/presentations etc but turned out not to be.

Zowie

Hi Zowie, I can only share my experience which was that the assessment centre was in fact just an interview.

Albeit “just” an interview doesn’t mean to say it was easy. I started preparing 1 1/2 weeks prior to allow things to sink in. Like you, I saw assessment centre and thought I’d be there with other candidates doing some group tasks/presentations etc but turned out not to be.
Thanks Bradts, its just confusing email says in person interview, canditate portal says assesment centre. I've phoned recruitment but they were not very helpfull with providing any informations. I am trying my best to prepare for interview but it is hard work

Bradts

Thanks Bradts, its just confusing email says in person interview, canditate portal says assesment centre. I've phoned recruitment but they were not very helpfull with providing any informations. I am trying my best to prepare for interview but it is hard work
The hardest part has been done.

You’ve been given the opportunity to talk about why you are fit for the role you applied for.

That’s all you have to do.
GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited:
Yes indeed, it is lovely bonus !!
You do realise you don’t get paid an extra month for free, right? You’ll just get paid less per pay than if you were paid monthly, therefore still earning the same salary at the end of each year. It may be better in terms of frequency of pay, but just stating as it sounds like people here feel there is an additional pay for nothing.

Paul1050

Hello all,
Just received email to attend interview and assessment for signaller role and some decent screening feedback.
The interview/ assessment is in Wigan, my closest one I guess, has anyone been to this one recently and any help or feedback ? It’s been about 4 weeks since I did the online tests and had thought I had messed one of them up badly and failed that section of the application. Nervous as to whether or not I have the necessary for the assessment, interviews are nerve racking enough !
Thanks for any help or advice offered

ZackCulross

Hello all,
Just received email to attend interview and assessment for signaller role and some decent screening feedback.
The interview/ assessment is in Wigan, my closest one I guess, has anyone been to this one recently and any help or feedback ? It’s been about 4 weeks since I did the online tests and had thought I had messed one of them up badly and failed that section of the application. Nervous as to whether or not I have the necessary for the assessment, interviews are nerve racking enough !
Thanks for any help or advice offered
From what I've read and heard the interview is the final stage, and I've been told that it's a pretty standard interview process.

Why do you want to work for network rail?
Name a time when ... etc

Using the S.T.A.R process in detail you should do fine

Good luck mate

Paul1050

From what I've read and heard the interview is the final stage, and I've been told that it's a pretty standard interview process.

Why do you want to work for network rail?
Name a time when ... etc

Using the S.T.A.R process in detail you should do fine

Good luck mate
Appreciate that Zack, many thanks.
It’s the assessment that worries me but maybe over thinking it. So much differing info surrounding the role, shifts, premiums, people going flexi shifts so no overtime rates, signal boxes closing….to it’s the best job in the world :lol: It’s a big career change at 48 but an exciting one if I was to be successful

ZackCulross

Appreciate that Zack, many thanks.
It’s the assessment that worries me but maybe over thinking it. So much differing info surrounding the role, shifts, premiums, people going flexi shifts so no overtime rates, signal boxes closing….to it’s the best job in the world :lol: It’s a big career change at 48 but an exciting one if I was to be successful
I'm not sure about that, my portal is sitting at stage 3 currently with excellent screening feedback.
Someone earlier mentioned that the assessment part was just the interview, but I could be wrong unless your email states you have more assessments before interview.

Paul1050

I'm not sure about that, my portal is sitting at stage 3 currently with excellent screening feedback.
Someone earlier mentioned that the assessment part was just the interview, but I could be wrong unless your email states you have more assessments before interview.
Email says final stage interview and a Signaller Scenario Assessment.
Portal says invited to attend one of our virtual assessment centres which is in Wigan for me

ZackCulross

Email says final stage interview and a Signaller Scenario Assessment.
Portal says invited to attend one of our virtual assessment centres which is in Wigan for me
Ah yes I read about that scenario assessment, if it's anything like my past experience on the trams, you got to listen to an extract off an accident and you needed to retain important information and relay the information back.

But of course I have no idea if that would be the same for signaller role.

Last edited:

Paul1050

Ah yes I read about that scenario assessment, if it's anything like my past experience on the trams, you got to listen to and extract off an accident and you needed to retain important information and relay the information back.

But of course I have no idea if that would be the same for signaller role.
My memory retention is not what it use to be, :s