• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Hi all, in the process of doing my application for Hereford G2 Trainee. Does anyone know whether Hereford is a G2 box once qualified or does it rise to a different grade? Thanks :)

Hereford Town Box is a higher grade than a 2, so that suggests vacancies at Boxes either towards Abergavenny or north towards Shrewsbury.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LittleByName

Thinking about this and Fennel's query, the only Gr2 Boxes I can think of in the Shrewsbury area are Dorrington, Marshbrook, Onibury and Bromfield.
All 3 of the town Boxes are much higher grade, as are Sutton Bridge and Craven Arms.
(Suuton Bridge due to it being a fringe ERTMS Box, and The Arms as it is the fringe Box for the Central Wales line)
Don’t quote me on this, but I thought Sutton Bridge came under Machynlleth and not Shrewsbury as it deals with ERTMS

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Don’t quote me on this, but I thought Sutton Bridge came under Machynlleth and not Shrewsbury as it deals with ERTMS
Management reposibility in and around Shrewsbury and Hereford seem to regularly change, so that is quite possible. At one stage the Machy LOM was responsible for the Box north of the Station!
And it is possible that Bromfield now comes under the Hereford area.

Signal_Box

Thinking about this and Fennel's query, the only Gr2 Boxes I can think of in the Shrewsbury area are Dorrington, Marshbrook, Onibury and Bromfield.
All 3 of the town Boxes are much higher grade, as are Sutton Bridge and Craven Arms.
(Suuton Bridge due to it being a fringe ERTMS Box, and The Arms as it is the fringe Box for the Central Wales line)

They’ll all be grade 2 pool signallers, once they pass school he’ll be able / expected to apply for resident boxes.

TRAINeeSignal

Hi everyone,

I just got a role with network rail and I'm excited to start this August 2024.

I know this question has been asked before but they seem old and I was wondering how the process at signaller school will be like and if there is anything i can fo to prep for it ? I am already trying to get my head around some signalling video games. My training place will be in Basingstoke.

Is anyone else going, would be cool to meet some mates on here before the big day ? :)

Thanks to anyone who replies. Appreciate it ~

muz379

Established Member
The initial signaller training is currently setup as 2 weeks of e learning and 10 weeks in a classroom , if you do absolute block initial signaller training then you will also have to do a 2 week track circuit block conversion if you are to work a track circuit block location .

The E learning covers some key topics that will be recurring themes throughout the course and your career . A big one is communication . It can be completed quicker than 2 weeks . And tbh I made sure that I took the time during the weeks I had for E learning to visit some signalling locations as well so if you can do this I would .

The classroom sessions should be a mixture of powerpoint presentations / trainer essentially teaching and simulator demonstrations . You will also have time to practice on the simulator in smaller groups , I would personally advise that you make as much use of this time as you can. And when you do get there learn how the simulator works as quickly as possible , especially the back desk software .

During the course you will be assessed 6 different times , with a multiple choice test the end of the first week . Then week 3 observations on the simulator , week 5 multiple choice & written exam , a week 7 observation on the simulator , then the week 9 multiple choice and written exam and finally in week 10 a final observation on the simulator .

In terms of Prep , I know it might be tempting to try and get ahead , but honestly short of maybe brushing up on your phonetic alphabet if not already comfortable with it because you will be using it everyday at school and as a signaller . Other than this I would try to avoid trying to learn anything signaller related until you are on the course .

Last edited by a moderator:

rcuk

Hi guys.

I have scrolled through the forum using search bar on many occasions but I regularly see contradicting answers to my query.

I was hoping if someone working as a grade 6 signaller at Saltlet ROC could put into simple terms;

1. What is the shift pattern?

2. Is the advertised salary the exact amount you get paid? Have seen people say Sundays are paid at 1.5x and evening work is paid at 10%.

Thanks in advance for any replies
Can’t help with your original question however did you get the same call I got on Wednesday offering a position there?

Amack92

Evening everyone,

I'm After some advice regarding the SJT. I've got to do mine by Monday, any words of advice or encouragement before hand? A little nervous, as not sure what to expect. I really want to give myself the best possible chance at passing.

I then have my face to face interview in just under 3 weeks time. Any advice for that too would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

TRAINeeSignal

Can’t help with your original question however did you get the same call I got on Wednesday offering a position there?
Congrats man! Can't be sure of the date but I've started the onboarding process.

I know you're excited to get started but here's a suggestion from someone who has been round the block a few times...

^ Don't do this. It won't help you at all.
Damn and I've really been trying to get SimSig down. Apparently the most realistic signaller experience, but if it is worth naught then at least it was fun ~

muz379

Established Member
Damn and I've really been trying to get SimSig down. Apparently the most realistic signaller experience, but if it is worth naught then at least it was fun ~
Tbh the actual process of signalling isn't the difficult part , its knowing your rules and dealing with all of the things that go wrong in accordance with those rules .

Plus one of the core skills that you are constantly assessed on which is safety critical comms isn't used on SimSig.

Frothy_B

There's a couple of decent games that recreate the overall "experience" of signalling. Sim Rail is pretty good, perhaps better than SimSig as a game, although it's on the Polish network not the UK network.

They are ok as games but aren't very good if you're actually going to be a Signaller. The only real benefit is that you may be more comfortable with what you're looking at on a panel and setting a route than someone who's only seeing it for the first time in school. Without understanding the application of the rules, which is my experience are quite difficult to implement in SimSig anyway, they can, at worst, lead to bad habits or the wrong idea of what's possible in a given situation.

I stopped playing them before going to IST and tbh haven't played them again since passing out.

Signaller2020

Good afternoon all. I have applied for a signaller position and have passed the online tests and my application is sat at assessment centre stage.

Underneath there is a link for LAQ feedback which is all very positive apart from 1 or 2 suggestions for future.

Does this mean I should expect a rejection email or is this just standard for all applications?

rcuk

Congrats man! Can't be sure of the date but I've started the onboarding process.

Cheers mate, chuffed to finally get the offer.
I’ve been told a provisional start of 16th September.

jazzalaa

Cheers mate, chuffed to finally get the offer.
I’ve been told a provisional start of 16th September.
Hi. Also been told a provisional date of 16th. Onboarding process has started, just waiting for medical.

Evening everyone,

I'm After some advice regarding the SJT. I've got to do mine by Monday, any words of advice or encouragement before hand? A little nervous, as not sure what to expect. I really want to give myself the best possible chance at passing.

I then have my face to face interview in just under 3 weeks time. Any advice for that too would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Just take your time, use the full prep time to think about your answers.

Likely to be the same date by the sounds of it. Are you for WMSC too?

TRAINeeSignal

Tbh the actual process of signalling isn't the difficult part , its knowing your rules and dealing with all of the things that go wrong in accordance with those rules .

Plus one of the core skills that you are constantly assessed on which is safety critical comms isn't used on SimSig.
Thank you that's really useful. I've found a manual online about safety critical coms and am going to have a light read. If you think of anything else that could help I would really appreciate it :)

There's a couple of decent games that recreate the overall "experience" of signalling. Sim Rail is pretty good, perhaps better than SimSig as a game, although it's on the Polish network not the UK network.

They are ok as games but aren't very good if you're actually going to be a Signaller. The only real benefit is that you may be more comfortable with what you're looking at on a panel and setting a route than someone who's only seeing it for the first time in school. Without understanding the application of the rules, which is my experience are quite difficult to implement in SimSig anyway, they can, at worst, lead to bad habits or the wrong idea of what's possible in a given situation.

I stopped playing them before going to IST and tbh haven't played them again since passing out.
Thanx think I'll stop early in case I start developing those bad habits. Tbh reading this was relieving since the game was doing my head in with its steep learning curve xD

Last edited:

eleveneleven

Good afternoon all. I have applied for a signaller position and have passed the online tests and my application is sat at assessment centre stage.

Underneath there is a link for LAQ feedback which is all very positive apart from 1 or 2 suggestions for future.

Does this mean I should expect a rejection email or is this just standard for all applications?
No, seems to be standard for all applications. Mine was a mixture of positive and negative feedback so I wouldn't overthink it, just sit tight and see what happens next...

muz379

Established Member
Thank you that's really useful. I've found a manual online about safety critical coms and am going to have a light read. If you think of anything else that could help I would really appreciate it :)
Other than that , brushing up on your phonetic alphabet if it isn't already second nature to you .

Some on my course learnt bell codes before the course , these will be relevant if you are doing Absolute Block IST , I believe there is an android app provided by Network Rail for this purpose . But personally I only found I learned the bell codes when I started using them on the Sim / Learned the regulation they applied to .

Kraken

Somebody recommended to me on here to read L T C Rolt’s book “Red for Danger” before going on IST and I really enjoyed it. It doesn’t prepare you in any meaningful way but it’s just a highly readable account of lots of railway accidents and what caused them. Lots of Absolute Block disasters if you’re going into that side of signalling.

Signaller2020

No, seems to be standard for all applications. Mine was a mixture of positive and negative feedback so I wouldn't overthink it, just sit tight and see what happens next...
Ah right I see, cheers!

'In the future we suggest..' was mentioned twice which gave me doubts but the rest was very positive so fingers crossed.

Which location had you applied for? And what stage are you at?

MylesHSG

Hi everyone,

I just got a role with network rail and I'm excited to start this August 2024.

I know this question has been asked before but they seem old and I was wondering how the process at signaller school will be like and if there is anything i can fo to prep for it ? I am already trying to get my head around some signalling video games. My training place will be in Basingstoke.

Is anyone else going, would be cool to meet some mates on here before the big day ? :)

Thanks to anyone who replies. Appreciate it ~

Others have said this but I'll just reiterate not to really do this. The "hard" part of being a signaller isn't actually signalling the trains, it's knowing what to do and how to work in degraded working and operational incidents, which really is the bread and butter of what you'll learn in Signalling School. What you don't want to do is pick up bad habits, or get a false sense of confidence. I'm not even sure how accurate these Sims are to be honest, I've never played one. Also I'm not sure on the set up at Basingstoke now, but when I was there we exclusively learnt on an NX simulator anyway.

The best things you can do is learn the NATO phonetic alphabet and the NWR non technical skills. Get a copy of Red for Danger, it doesn't teach you anything as such, but gives an idea of how important the role is.

joestankey18

Hey I’m starting in August too. What area are you going to be working in? I’ve just done my medical and awaiting next steps

muz379

Established Member
Get a copy of Red for Danger, it doesn't teach you anything as such, but gives an idea of how important the role is.
It will also give you a good idea of how even the most experienced can make what in isolation seem like fundamentally basic errors .

TRAINeeSignal

Hey I’m starting in August too. What area are you going to be working in? I’ve just done my medical and awaiting next steps
Wimbledon. My medical is next month. What was the medical like ?

Other than that , brushing up on your phonetic alphabet if it isn't already second nature to you .

Some on my course learnt bell codes before the course , these will be relevant if you are doing Absolute Block IST , I believe there is an android app provided by Network Rail for this purpose . But personally I only found I learned the bell codes when I started using them on the Sim / Learned the regulation they applied to .
Thanx I would have never thought of half of this. Just found network rail bell codes and I think the build up, learning all these things, Is kinda exiting ? Haha Anywho thanx for the support, appreciate it :") let me know if you think of any other things for me to look into :)

Last edited:

Milesylv

Hereford Town Box is a higher grade than a 2, so that suggests vacancies at Boxes either towards Abergavenny or north towards Shrewsbury.
All pool signallers come in at G2 now, so there may not even be a specific vacancy on the line yet, just predicted movement over the next 6 months or so. Pool signaller vacancies in Shrewsbury should be aware that there are very very rarely jobs and internal movement is chaotic. I would advise looking for a resident post from the get go and avoid the pool in SY

CivilSig

Hey.
I've just been offered a job as a signaller after trying for 2 and a bit years and being placed on waiting lists!
I attended an assessment centre last week in York for a Middlesbrough position and have been told provisional start date of August (as long as medical etc is okay). Just wondering if anyone else is due to start August around my area :) I am assuming the IST will be at York? Or could it be further afield?