• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Nick7555

Anyone with a learning disability know what it’s like to apply and be employed for a TOC? Wondering what support is available with the application/assessment process and throughout my training (if I’m successful).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CCnottoolate

I am extremely lucky in that I have often been given the choice of who I do & don’t want. Those as well as those I have been asked to take on on the whole have been superb and turned out to be everlasting friends. We do around 290hrs that in the end include signing all routes.
How interesting! Can I ask you how do you know in advance who you want or don't want? What sort of behaviour influences your opinion as an instructor? I ask because I am hoping to start on course as a trainee train driver soon and would want to have a great training experience where I learn a lot and from good instructors.

dk1

Veteran Member
How interesting! Can I ask you how do you know in advance who you want or don't want? What sort of behaviour influences your opinion as an instructor? I ask because I am hoping to start on course as a trainee train driver soon and would want to have a great training experience where I learn a lot and from good instructors.

A lot of our trainee drivers have already been conductors or catering so I know them well. Also get the odd tip off whilst they are in the training school ;)

Last edited:

Asadak101

Applied at Northern just before chirstmas, passed the application and went for an interview last week, passed that invited to Psychometric assessments on wednesday - very nervous.

SiTheTrainGuy

Applied at Northern just before chirstmas, passed the application and went for an interview last week, passed that invited to Psychometric assessments on wednesday - very nervous.
From my experience you build it up to be a really big thing (and it is) but in your head you imagine the day to be worse than what it is in reality.

Just be calm, concentrate, listen to the instructions and you’ll do fine!

Asadak101

From my experience you build it up to be a really big thing (and it is) but in your head you imagine the day to be worse than what it is in reality.

Just be calm, concentrate, listen to the instructions and you’ll do fine!
excellent advice thank you

My brother became a train driver with northern and i believe he was told on the day whether he passed or failed and was then invited to attend a medical. he found out right away that he had passed 6 were sent home through out the day

just scared of being pulled to the side and told you've failed - see ya later

Asadak101

No problem, send me a message and let me know how you get on tomorrow. Good luck.

Hopefully you can join me in the talent pool and start the waiting process all over again! :D
I passed all but one test. The flashing grey box. Apparently I was a bit slow to react. Everything else passed. I'm so gutted and upset. But it is what it is. I'll reapply in 6 months if there's a vacancy.

Does anyone know how the reapply works. I've been told that I only need to do the failed test again within 5 years. Do I need to wait for new vacancies again and interview again. I thought the interview remained valid for 9 months ?

Last edited:

AverageJoe

It’s very likely that you are unfortunately going to have to re-apply like anyone else now.

If you have passed the paper tests to an enhanced standard then it’s unlikely you will need to sit them again until the run out.

Since you failed the concentration tests which is part of the computer tests, that normally means you will have to resit the other computer tests also.

I’ve had a few friends in your position.

It doesn’t mean it’s over though, I know plenty of drivers who didn’t make it the first time.

Asadak101

It’s very likely that you are unfortunately going to have to re-apply like anyone else now.

If you have passed the paper tests to an enhanced standard then it’s unlikely you will need to sit them again until the run out.

Since you failed the concentration tests which is part of the computer tests, that normally means you will have to resit the other computer tests also.

I’ve had a few friends in your position.

It doesn’t mean it’s over though, I know plenty of drivers who didn’t make it the first time.
I don't mind resitting the computer tests. I thought aced those and messed up on paper. But it was the opposite. Aced the papers. I will reapply

After 6 months.....

TrainGuardChap

Hi, first time poster.. after a bit of advice

I am currently a guard, and a few months back I applied for a trainee driver position, filled out the application online, completed the online tests etc.. but after submitting, I realised I had not done enough words in the section where you explain why you feel you would be good for the role etc :s

Would it be worth just leaving it, and see what happens, or speak to recruitment to see if I can re do that section?

Wayno

Hi Asadak… I’ve just passed the first on line test . Could you brief me on each stage and any interview Qs they asked please

sherz

I like driving jobs that's my preference, I want to be a train driver that's my 1st choice but if not il try the HGV driver option.

My question is how hard is it to become a train driver if you haven't got the qualifications or work history to prove to them you are the best person for the job. I think I'd be bottom of the barrel if I tried applying for trainee train driver job because of the amount of people that apply for those jobs and have better experience and qualifications. Would you reccomend moving out of london and looking elsewhere.

I did apply for a trainee train driver job and it had a online assessment where u see if the list matches the list above but I ran out of time before I could complete all of it

skyhigh

Established Member
Would you reccomend moving out of london and looking elsewhere.
It's competitive everywhere. Living in London may actually help, as there may be more depots that you're within the travelling distance for.
I did apply for a trainee train driver job and it had a online assessment where u see if the list matches the list above but I ran out of time before I could complete all of it
That's generally the idea - to see how you perform under pressure. You're not supposed to complete the whole thing.

My question is how hard is it to become a train driver if you haven't got the qualifications or work history to prove to them you are the best person for the job.
For a trainee role, there is very little in the way of "qualifications" needed. And there are plenty of people who get the job with no railway experience. As long as you can show the personal skills required that's what they're looking for.

Sly Sloth

The only qualification needed at the moment seems to be grade A-C in Maths and English and a recognised IT certificate so the TOC wouldn’t need to do anything with you for the apprenticeship side of things leaving you to fully concentrate on the train driver course. At some tocs the Maths and English is essential to process your application

TacoTraveller

I like driving jobs that's my preference, I want to be a train driver that's my 1st choice but if not il try the HGV driver option.

My question is how hard is it to become a train driver if you haven't got the qualifications or work history to prove to them you are the best person for the job. I think I'd be bottom of the barrel if I tried applying for trainee train driver job because of the amount of people that apply for those jobs and have better experience and qualifications. Would you reccomend moving out of london and looking elsewhere.

There's no set qualifications needed except A-C in maths but most companies ask for that but rarely ever actually check them.

As per career path it doesn't matter, there's probably been every career path make the switch to rail. It's not where you came from, it's whether you've got the skills and relevant safety experience needed to be one but safety experience doesn't have to come from work it can come from volunteering or even things you've done or seen in your spare time.

The whole point of the assessments are to see if you've got what they're looking for in a candidate, there's plenty of threads on here you could look into to see what it actually takes and have a look at non-technical skills too, they're required daily to ensure safety.

Also don't be disheartened if you apply for a role but don't get through, you can keep applying, I've been rejected 3-4 times by different TOC'S but then made it through to assessments with them using the same application information, it's merely that they have too many applications to look at.

Established Member
Southeastern are currently recruiting for trainee drivers at all of there depots.

Kelki

The reason it’s hard to get in is due to the vigorous testing you go through. It’s not about previous experience just skills you picked up which can in some way translate to train driving. Lots of people who go into driving have backgrounds in construction, teaching and the police

Gemz91

What work history do you have? If you post what jobs you’ve done previously people may be able to help link them into the relevant experience for train driving, even if it’s voluntary work.

For example, if you’ve worked in catering, you follow set rules and procedures, just like is expected on the railways.

If you volunteer at the Scouts, there might have been a time you dealt with an emergency situation.

Sly Sloth

There's no set qualifications needed except A-C in maths but most companies ask for that but rarely ever actually check them.
This is very misleading and incorrect! Most TOCS are now enrolled into a government apprenticeship scheme and WILL DEFINITELY want to see original certificates or a letter of proof of grades from the awarding examination board. If you can’t verify your results you may find yourself in some serious trouble

Gemz91

This is very misleading and incorrect! Most TOCS are now enrolled into a government apprenticeship scheme and WILL DEFINITELY want to see original certificates or a letter of proof of grades from the awarding examination board. If you can’t verify your results you may find yourself in some serious trouble

Is it common for most tocs to allow you to sit some sort of examination during your training to achieve these grades? I know our toc lets you. I assume those who don’t know where their certificates are will be treated as not having a-c and could possibly sit the same exams?

Sly Sloth

Is it common for most tocs to allow you to sit some sort of examination during your training to achieve these grades? I know our toc lets you. I assume those who don’t know where their certificates are will be treated as not having a-c and could possibly sit the same exams?
Yes this is possible but telling someone they won’t check what you’ve said you’ve achieved is misinformation! It’s also a possible gross misconduct offence if you lie about a grade “because they won’t check”

JohnnyOne

You can get copies from the examining board, cost me £100 though, but I was chased for them by the TOC while waiting in the Talent pool.

Gemz91

Yes this is possible but telling someone they won’t check what you’ve said you’ve achieved is misinformation! It’s also a possible gross misconduct offence if you lie about a grade “because they won’t check”

I’ve never told anyone that they won’t check your grades…

Think I’d rather sit them again then pay £100!

Sly Sloth

I’ve never told anyone that they won’t check your grades…

Think I’d rather sit them again then pay £100!
You said they rarely check……. That’s misleading
I had a route learner recently who had to do all 3 functional skills and he said it was a nightmare…. For the sake of £100!