• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RML14

Hello I have a Qualified Driver entrant interview next week with Scotrail & wanted to ask for any information or advice on this?

hull015

Hi

I just wanted to gather some feedback and advice from anyone who currently works in the rail industry as a driver.

Bit of background- I currently work outside of the rail industry in a fairly well paid job. I have always wanted to be a train driver and have recently passed all the application stages for a trainee driver role and am now waiting in a talent pool with a TOC, i am super excited but also now very nervous. I am fully aware that i may be in the talent pool for a number of years and may not even get a job offer at the end of it. But I guess what I am concerned/ want some advice about is

1-the drop in wages for training (with a family to support) and no guarantee of passing the course.

2- is the job one that you enjoy doing, I guess there's an element of being blinkered about wanting to be a driver and not taking into account, shift patterns, responsibility, etc

If anyone has recently gone through a similar process are you glad you made the decision or do you have any regrets. If I do get an offer, I think I'll always regret not going for it if I decline.

Jericho

Welcome, and congratulations for getting through the process to the talent pool. No mean feat in itself. Obviously only you can make the decision about whether you can afford to take a pay cut; during training progression timescales and increments vary (sometimes considerably) from TOC to TOC though normally you will get a rise after passing various stages such as rules, traction etc. If you don't mind posting which TOC, I'm sure people on here would happily give you specific details. As for passing the course, as long as you have the right attitude, work hard and apply yourself you will pass. TOC's don't want you to fail - you cost them a lot of money and while of course you have to reach a certain standard they will do everything they can to help you through and that is why hard work and a good attitude counts for a lot.

Becoming a driver is the best thing I ever did but you have to accept that shift work does have a big impact on your family life; I'm sure you have but you'd be amazed at the number of people who didn't appear to consider this before taking the job. Because of the safety critical nature of the work, you have to manage your life around your job and for some people that comes as a massive shock (generally those that see the £ signs and nothing else). But it is a great job - as long you keep your head down, apply yourself and do your job properly you are left alone and when you finish your shift your time is your own and that counts for a lot. I hope you can make the numbers add up and you get an offer soon. Good luck.

AverageJoe

1 - drop in wages. No one can answer this for you really. I assume you know what the wage will be so now is the time to do some maths and see if it’s something you and your family can afford to do.

2 - is the job enjoyable?
So the positives I see in the job are I stay dry in the rain, warm in the winter and cool in the summer (I previously had an outside job) so I like that.

On some days when you are driving a scenic route and the sun is out or snow has fallen it can be beautiful.
However you will cover the same routes again and again so it will become the norm a bit.

The money I get paid allows me to travel and enjoy my free time.

The negatives.

Shifts can be horrible, and it can feel like you have constant jet lag.

I’m constantly missing out on things my friends are doing on bank holidays and weekend due to work. And it might not be that I’m even working that day but I might be having to get to bed at a daft early time for my next shift.

If you are not a train spotter, which I’m not it can be a very boring job at times, especially if you are doing a stopping service that repeats itself a few times in your day.

When you take it to account the weekend work, constant shift pattern change, the level of knowledge you need to maintain and then the potential for fatalities I wouldn’t do it if it paid any less.

That’s just an honest assessment from me.
You will hear many here tell you it’s the best job in the world, and you might feel the same if you eventually become a driver.

hull015

Thanks @Jericho and @AverageJoe for taking time to reply. The TOC I have applied for is GTR so I know the salary will in theory double once qualified. I can make the drop in salary work, I'm more concerned of taking the drop with not guarantee of passing the course. But like you have said as long as I put the effort in which I will then I should be fine.

Thanks for both being honest in terms of how you find the job. If I'm honest as I have got older, doing things with friends take months of prep anyway so hopefully will know my shifts fair enough in advance to organise. My main worry is missing out on things with my son. I do think though, I will always wonder "what if" if I don't give it a go if I get the opportunity. Again thank you once again for the replies.

AverageJoe

Thanks @Jericho and @AverageJoe for taking time to reply. The TOC I have applied for is GTR so I know the salary will in theory double once qualified. I can make the drop in salary work, I'm more concerned of taking the drop with not guarantee of passing the course. But like you have said as long as I put the effort in which I will then I should be fine.

Thanks for both being honest in terms of how you find the job. If I'm honest as I have got older, doing things with friends take months of prep anyway so hopefully will know my shifts fair enough in advance to organise. My main worry is missing out on things with my son. I do think though, I will always wonder "what if" if I don't give it a go if I get the opportunity. Again thank you once again for the replies.

There’s more to think about when you have a family too.

There will be times when you need to be in bed by 5pm and you need them to keep the noise down.

Or you may be arriving home at 6am after a long shift and now it’s your bed time even though they are just getting up.

It’s rare you will have a normal breakfast, lunch and dinner routine other than your days off.

The amount of times it’s got to 10am and I’m on my 4th meal of the day already.