• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A change of direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smurf

Hi all,

I come to you with a little of a life story, which I'll try to keep short, and also seeking maybe some advice. I've had a quick look around the forum, and tried to catch a grasp of forum etiquette, and also take time in reading and digesting information from previous threads. However if my questions/ramblings do come across as repetitive 'new guy' fodder, please accept my apologies, I don't wish to waste anyone's time with dull and rather stupid 'I want to be a train driver, what do I have to do' nonsense.

So here's the life story, as painless as I can make it. Typically maybe of an enthusiast, my interest derives from family members of generations gone by having worked on the railways, and planted the seed of fascination with various anecdotes at a young age. I grew up always wanting to be a train driver, and have through my own leisurely education over the years built up a reasonable knowledge of railway operations and a general picture of how things work. Upon leaving school (with average grades), I quickly realised that I didn't have the life experience to start work immediately on the railways, and so pursued other avenues as a career, which took me to automotive engineering, or being a mechanic without the lavish title. I learned and progressed within the industry, eventually leaving the more physical side of the industry to join a motor parts supplier, originally as a driver trainer, then in sales, and eventually a brief spell as an assistant branch manager. I left that position earlier this year to start up my own small business, a venture which I'm afraid to say has been a bit of a still birth for various political reasons. It's at this point that consideration has once again turned to attempting to pursue a career on the railways, and ofcourse that career pinnacle is as a driver.

So what kind of a person am I? well, I consider myself to be a fairly level headed person, having had various experiences of a job 'under pressure' where quick, clear decisions have needed to be made, and also been in a position where various responsibilities, some of them with safety implications have been under my control. I'm also a very mechanically minded and sympathetic person, I understand easily how things work, and indeed taking enjoyment from doing so. I learn quickly, especially things which I have a common interest, and also am comfortable in my own company, and actually often prefer working alone and uninterrupted for lengthy periods of time.

On that note, I would from an uneducated point of view consider that I may have the right mentality and ability to be a train driver, but I have to be honest, because I'm not seeking the answer I want, I'm seeking the answer that's right... I'm not the most concentrating person in the world. I'm fully aware that this is a big problem for a safety critical job of such magnitude, and believe me there is nobody that questions my suitability on these grounds more than myself. Train driving may be my dream job, but I would never dream of placing myself in a job that puts myself and others at danger if I wasn't able to convince myself, let alone others that I would not be 100% adequate for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a vacant person, I've drove for several years and have managed to avoid any accidents (atleast ones which I were at fault!), infact I'm trained to a higher standard thanks to my previous job role, and take pride in doing things right and safely, but I do on occasions have to snap myself out of autopilot, and by my own admittance am a bit of a day dreamer from time to time. My obvious concern is were I to apply, and pass all tests and interviews etc, I would one day be in charge of several hundred tons of metal, and with my subconscious doing the work, let my attention drift off to why that passing train is unfamiliar traction, for example, and miss something crucial.

Having downloaded and spent some time with the GBT and SCAAT software, I've achieved reasonable results, and although I find the SCAAT test in particular quite challenging towards the end, I'm sure that with practice and commitment I can get my abilities to a much higher standard. But alas this is my concern, not that I can prove on a particular day that I can pass a test to prove my aptitude, but that I can be secure in my own knowledge that I can match that day in, day out, on the same stretches of track, without lapsing into autopilot or any form of tunnel vision (I thought I'd throw a joke in, as I'm unintentionally dragging this on a bit!).

So thankyou for sticking with me this far, we're at the point where I ask for your wisdom and points of view. Is it possible for one to practice and mentally train oneself to be able to consistently offer the concentration required to do this job? Are there other people either looking at the career, or maybe even are qualified who have had similar questions/dilemmas themselves? and in general from my novel of a life story am I the right type of person to do the job, addressing my shortfalls where possible?

You may be thinking regarding the concentration aspect "If you need to ask, that tells you all you need to know", and this is a question I've challenged myself with on many an occasion, and agree with, but to a point. I would never wish to be a train driver, as disappointing as that truth is, if I were not cut out for it. I respect the roles and responsibilities too much to show that level of arrogance towards them. However, I would hope that certain things can be changed, and were I able to morph my shortcomings into strengths, and be happy that it's achievable and sustainable, then that changes the picture somewhat.... but that's the million dollar question I guess.

Anyway, hi. Thankyou for reading if you've survived this far, please accept my appreciation and congratulations at doing so, and if you'd be so kind as to add your thoughts, I'd be very much appreciative still.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MR_P

As you are unsure about the concentration aspect, have you though about trying to be depot driver instead? You will still get to drive trains (albeit much slower) but you wont need the long periods of concentration. Once you have done this for a while you can then reconsider going mainline.

Also this way you can see if you can get past all the application stages. As you are only 26 if you did fail first time you have plenty of time to work on what you failed on before trying again (Core assessments only 2 tries ever)

Last edited:

Smurf

Thanks for your input Mr P. Depot driver is something that I've thought about in passing, and would obviously never say no to either, but vacancies seem to be rarer than regular driver positions (from what I've seen).

I'm aware of the 2 fails = permanent fail rule, I'm pretty sure that with practice I stand as good a chance as most at passing the aptitude tests, and I wouldn't put myself in a position to take them until I knew I was getting consistently reliable tests at home. Plus I'm a relatively competent person in interviews, and have a good knowledge of mechanicals, physics, and how things work in general.

I think I'm going to devote some time each day to doing some 'brain training', spend some time on the GBT & SCAAT program trying to improve my ability, and in general mentally train myself to keep full concentration for longer through mundane tasks that I would usually let my subconscious control, and attempt to notice when concentration loss is happening and instantly snap myself out of it.

Beveridges

Established Member
Yes I'd agree with the above. On Depot driving you sometimes have to concentrate hard, but its for shorter periods of time, and broken up by a lot of other tasks where you can "switch off" like fuelling, prep, oil & water, walking, pulling points, etc. Also the actual driving on a depot is not that monotonous and if its a busy depot its unlikely you will get bored and go into auto pilot mode because theres a lot happening at once, and your only driving for short periods. On the mainline you can be driving for hours and theres hardly any other duties that really break the driving up, and some diagrams are monotonous if your driving class 2 pass trains (like 3 trips from A to B to A in a row, all stops), so I'd imagine that is where its most difficult to keep up the concentration level.
The problem is Depot Driving vacancies are much harder to find than Mainline due to the obvious reason there is a LOT less depot drivers than mainline drivers.

Last edited:

Smurf

Thanks for the input guys.

I'd certainly give consideration to a depot job, but as mentioned they are extremely few and far between, as if regular driving positions were not hard enough to come by.

Beveridges

Established Member
Best thing to do is just go for either (depot or mainline) and take whichever offer comes up first. Only way to find out whether you've got the ability to do the job is to actually do it. You may be overestimating the job

Last edited:

Smurf

Well since I posted this yesterday, I've been in contact with a psychiatrist. No, I'm not mentally scarred, she's actually our old neighbour and family friend.

Her advice is that mental concentration can be improved and trained upon to a consistently higher level, like most mental states. The advice that she gave me is to devote a little time each day to concentration and awareness tests like the GBT and SCAAT tests, and also to train myself to be aware of lapses in concentration, and develop a technique to draw my concentration back. Apparently it's quite common for people to develop concentration lapses and day dreaming as a result of uninteresting and mentally unstimulated work and/or education, and it's not an uncommon thing for her to deal with.

Every day's a learning day.

Status
Not open for further replies.