• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is not a dig at anyone, or anything, I'm just correcting what someone said about the USAAF during world war two, history haters, click away now..

As someone put the USAAF were 'gung-ho' this is not true. The reason for heavy losses during World War Two were thanks to the daylight bombing raids they carried out.

The RAF already had night bombing missions covered, also experiencing extreme losses, but not as many.

The reason for the daylight bombing was that the bombardier (the bomb controller and second navigator) could get precise hits, as he could SEE the target, where as on a night mission, the usual task was to follow incedary bombs that had been dropped.

Of course this had it's downfalls. The German flak gunners could easily pick off bombers, they stood out like a sore thumb. Also, the Germans could scramble their Messerschmit 109's and they could also take good shots at the bombers.

THIS was the reason for sending large numbers over on missions. They KNEW they would have heavy losses, they sent large numbers over to make sure they hit the target.

Without this the war would of been slowed noticably. As these raids stopped Oil Refineries, U-Boat pens, aircraft factories and supply factories.

I just thought I'd clear that up. Cheers for listening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick W

Established Member
Ta for that.

I remember learning that carpet bombing of Dresden killed more than Hiroshima and Nagasaki put together..

H

HR2

DescendingSadly said:
This thread is not a dig at anyone, or anything, I'm just correcting what someone said about the USAAF during world war two, history haters, click away now..

As someone put the USAAF were 'gung-ho' this is not true. The reason for heavy losses during World War Two were thanks to the daylight bombing raids they carried out.

The RAF already had night bombing missions covered, also experiencing extreme losses, but not as many.

The reason for the daylight bombing was that the bombardier (the bomb controller and second navigator) could get precise hits, as he could SEE the target, where as on a night mission, the usual task was to follow incedary bombs that had been dropped.

Of course this had it's downfalls. The German flak gunners could easily pick off bombers, they stood out like a sore thumb. Also, the Germans could scramble their Messerschmit 109's and they could also take good shots at the bombers.

THIS was the reason for sending large numbers over on missions. They KNEW they would have heavy losses, they sent large numbers over to make sure they hit the target.

Without this the war would of been slowed noticably. As these raids stopped Oil Refineries, U-Boat pens, aircraft factories and supply factories.

I just thought I'd clear that up. Cheers for listening.

Someone has been taken in by U.S propaganda. The USAAF did indeed conduct daylight air raids but their losses were not as high as the R.A.F. In fact the R.A.F's losses were comparable and almost equal to the Kriegsmarines U-Boat men, three out of four of whom did not come home. In a war there are brave men in ALL branches of ALL services of ALL nations but only the yanks boasted and bloated about how good they were!! The others got on with their job and finished the task, win or lose.

[incidentally the true toll of the Dresden raid was nearly 135.000 people. That is according to the German authorities records. However it was reduced by 100.000 to placate the Yanks, and to a lesser extent the British, authorities]

Perhaps they needed to gloat for the people back home? who were losing sons, husbands and brothers? maybe they needed to know there was progress being made?

H

HR2

DescendingSadly said:
Perhaps they needed to gloat for the people back home? who were losing sons, husbands and brothers? maybe they needed to know there was progress being made?

They were not the only ones losing fathers, brother's, sons and relatives. Other nations were too and before they were as well. The yanks only got into it when Japan forced them to. All the Americans were interested in prior to Pearl Harbour was making money from the conflict. [lend-lease etc] With allies like that we did not need any enemies.

LondonBVE

I think Singapore was attacked first. Phew my grandparents are safe, too bad my grandfather died 39 years ago, i do not know the reason, my father was only 4 years old then. Sob never mind i never witness it, i never saw before my grandpa!

Status
Not open for further replies.