• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A couple of routeing questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightning76

Hi,

Firstly if any of these have been discussed before please feel free to point me in the direction of the relevant threads.

1. I wish to travel from Didcot Parkway (DID) to Hassocks, Not Via London, returning from Haslemere. (Off-peak Day return, with a Network Card). A fare is available at £24.40, DID-Chichester. However the route via Hassocks is only available as route LONDON (the mapped non-London route is only shown as valid Three Bridges - Horsham - Chichester). My question is, is the route LONDON valid (subject to the ticket's validity, ie not via London Terminals), or does any routeing restriction of the ticket determine the mapped routes which may be used. Effectively, can I switch from a mapped route not-LONDON to a mapped route LONDON where the ticket's own validity allows?

2. - deleted

Many thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Didcot is a Routeing Point.
Chichester has two Routeing Points: Ford Group and Havant. Both pass the fares check.

Didcot - Ford Group has maps LONDON, XB
Didcot - London Group has maps BL, BL+WX
London Group - Ford Group has maps LB, LB+SC, LP, SC, SC+LB

I'm guessing you wish to travel outbound on a NOT VIA LONDON ticket using the LONDON mapped routes skirting around London Terminals, like so:
Didcot -BL-> Reading -WX-> Clapham Junction -LB-> Havant -> Chichester.
and you wish to stop short at Hassocks in map LB.

There have been discussions in the past on whether this has been permitted. See here and possibly here.

This seems like a different question to your parting sentence about switching between mapped routes. You can't switch mapped routes partway through your journey (unless you have a season ticket). Once you've chosen a permitted route, you have to stick to that same route throughout. However, you can use a different mapped route for the Outbound and Return parts of the ticket.

Regarding the Ely ticket, no, you cannot use the Network Railcard discount outside of the Network area, even if both the origin and destination station on the ticket are in the Network area.

Last edited:

lightning76

Thankyou for your reply.

For clarification, I intended to travel out to Hassocks via Guildford and Redhill. The links to past threads unsurprisingly turned up a variety of opinions, but my interpretation is, if I did not use a permitted route from DID - London (ie via Reading - Staines - Clapham Junction) then I would have to buy an additional single ticket from Three Bridges to Hassocks.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
Within the Network area anyway. My query was, is a Network Card-discounted ticket valid over part of its route, even if its whole route is not eligible for a Network Card discount?

I expect not. I also expect that the permitted route via Ipswich will now be added to ATOC's hitlist if it isn't already there.

I can't find a route avoiding London that allows travel via Hassocks. Your best best is getting a change of route excess up to the Any Permitted ticket for the outward portion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.