• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A cup of tea on a short trip First Class (Wakefield Westgate to Leeds) LNER Azuma 10 carriages

Hybrid

A dear old friend of mine (now sadly departed) used to be able to get on a train at Wakefield Westgate, take a seat in first class, and be served a cup of tea and biscuits before arriving in Leeds about fifteen minutes later. I admired the level of gentrification he achieved.

So, I tried this the other day.

However, I found that no-one was available in my section of the train.

I think this is because the train was the 10 carriage (meaning 2x 5 carriages linked together so that its not possible to walk the full length of the train) LNER Azuma variety and the "Senior Host" is only ever in one section of the train at a time.

So my question is, how I can I predict which first class carriages I need to be in on this short journey in order to be served a cup of tea?

Furthermore, if anyone has any short first class journeys of a similar nature they would like to share, I would be most grateful!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

riceuten

Yes, I mistakenly bought a 1st class single from Stevenage to London once (it was the same price as a 2nd class return at the time).

I got given a mug of coffee for my trouble and my 20 minute journey, though I believe the general rule was you had to be on the train for an hour or more to get refreshments.

You can’t ‘predict’ which half of 2x5 car train they’ll be in unless you have a crystal ball.

The only way to tell would be to look through the windows as the train is approaching (not guaranteed of course if the host is not in sight of a window).

Hybrid

You can’t ‘predict’ which half of 2x5 car train they’ll be in unless you have a crystal ball.

The only way to tell would be to look through the windows as the train is approaching (not guaranteed of course if the host is not in sight of a window).
Thank you.

Am I correct in thinking that the train has one host and one ticket inspector onboard at any given time, and that they must therefore switch at every station?

The ticket inspector for example, must swap every station to check tickets in each 5 carriage section.

The host must also switch so that everyone is being served refreshments properly.

So I can assume that the ticket inspector is in one half, and the host is in another at any given station.

I must therefore determine which section of the train the host is on at the station.

LowLevel

Established Member
The days of yore where first class passengers were swooped upon for a brew or similar are gone. I'd not bother trying at all for Wakefield to Leeds, they've probably all packed away.

Bayum

Established Member
So if you’re in first on a 10 car train, you might not get served for a considerable time?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So if you’re in first on a 10 car train, you might not get served for a considerable time?
Wakefield Westgate to Leeds is the final 15 minutes of a typically two and a quarter hour journey on LNER, isn't it?

Bayum

Established Member
Wakefield Westgate to Leeds is the final 15 minutes of a typically two and a quarter hour journey on LNER, isn't it?
I was reflecting on an earlier post that said there is one host on a 10 car train and they need to switch units each station.

LowLevel

Established Member
I was reflecting on an earlier post that said there is one host on a 10 car train and they need to switch units each station.
That's not correct, the two sets have their own crew I believe though some join and leave en route.

Hybrid

That's not correct, the two sets have their own crew I believe though some join and leave en route.
I spoke to a member of the Cross-country team today on a split unit (obviously not LNER, but operating the same route for these stations), and they said that catering did switch units between stations, as there were staffing shortages at the moment in spite of a recruiting drive. There should ideally be someone in each unit. The train manager said to me that the best chance of being served a cup of tea would be to identify which unit the catering manager is on at that section and go from there. But to be aware, that there might not even be catering at all between those stations. Lots of these trains go to Edinburgh etc. so catering does not necessarily stop at Leeds.

LowLevel

Established Member
I spoke to a member of the Cross-country team today on a split unit (obviously not LNER, but operating the same route for these stations), and they said that catering did switch units between stations, as there were staffing shortages at the moment in spite of a recruiting drive. There should ideally be someone in each unit. The train manager said to me that the best chance of being served a cup of tea would be to identify which unit the catering manager is on at that section and go from there. But to be aware, that there might not even be catering at all between those stations. Lots of these trains go to Edinburgh etc. so catering does not necessarily stop at Leeds.
Yes, but you're talking about a 10 car LNER Azuma not a Cross Country service so that has nothing at all to do with anything. Your best chance is a train that carries on to Harrogate, Bradford or Skipton provided you're in the right portion of the train. Even then they're unlikely to do a service between Wakefield and Leeds when there will be a large passenger changeover.

WF4HA5HE

A dear old friend of mine (now sadly departed) used to be able to get on a train at Wakefield Westgate, take a seat in first class, and be served a cup of tea and biscuits before arriving in Leeds about fifteen minutes later. I admired the level of gentrification he achieved.

So, I tried this the other day.

However, I found that no-one was available in my section of the train.

I think this is because the train was the 10 carriage (meaning 2x 5 carriages linked together so that its not possible to walk the full length of the train) LNER Azuma variety and the "Senior Host" is only ever in one section of the train at a time.

So my question is, how I can I predict which first class carriages I need to be in on this short journey in order to be served a cup of tea?

Furthermore, if anyone has any short first class journeys of a similar nature they would like to share, I would be most grateful!
Me and a mate used to do this with our railcards because the difference between standard and first was only a few pounds and it meant we could go into the first class lounge at both Wakefield Westgate and Leeds. Having a cup of coffee and some biscuits/crisps from each which we thought was worth it especially if we had a connectionat Leeds as its somewhere nice to wait. Never got served anything onboard though as I suspect they start packing up after the train leaves Doncaster. Now LNER have this rule where to use lounge access your ticket has to cost £10+

Iskra

Established Member
I have previously been given a beer on that short journey on a couple of occasions, although that was back in the days of continuous train formations. I certainly wouldn’t expect anything though on that journey, and would view anything provided as a bonus.

As pointed out above, when combined with lounge access at Leeds it is reasonable value for money.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
When I was commuting by HST first class on GWR a few years ago one customer host would see me on the platform and have my cup of tea, favourite snack bar and copy of the Times on my usual table before I walked through standard and got to my seat. He did that for years.

Bayum

Established Member
When I was commuting by HST first class on GWR a few years ago one customer host would see me on the platform and have my cup of tea, favourite snack bar and copy of the Times on my usual table before I walked through standard and got to my seat. He did that for years.
Which is what first class should be.

tonyA

I often do this route with a railcard it's not bad especiallyas LNER let you book advance ticket close to travel. I've only been offered a bottle of water and that is rare. The two sets is no issue they both have crews. The issue is the service has ended. I've done leeds harrogate a few times still not offered. I've done Wakefield york via doncaster and been served food and drink in both trains. Other times offered nothing.

duffield

Established Member
I've travelled from Grantham to Leeds/Harrogate with LNER a few times recently and I would not expect any service in 1st if you joined after Doncaster. Joining at Doncaster, you'll probably catch the final pass of the catering staff.

ServerHoster

Me and a mate used to do this with our railcards because the difference between standard and first was only a few pounds and it meant we could go into the first class lounge at both Wakefield Westgate and Leeds. Having a cup of coffee and some biscuits/crisps from each which we thought was worth it especially if we had a connectionat Leeds as its somewhere nice to wait. Never got served anything onboard though as I suspect they start packing up after the train leaves Doncaster. Now LNER have this rule where to use lounge access your ticket has to cost £10+
Only if it's an advance ticket, if it's an anytime you're free to go in whatever the price. An anytime day single is £6.80 in First Class which is quite good to be honest.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I've travelled from Grantham to Leeds/Harrogate with LNER a few times recently and I would not expect any service in 1st if you joined after Doncaster. Joining at Doncaster, you'll probably catch the final pass of the catering staff.
That my experience as well cups packed away at Newcastle, Doncaster (on trains terminating at Leeds) and Peterborough

Amazed anyone sees the catering crew after Wakefield

GoneSouth

Yes, but you're talking about a 10 car LNER Azuma not a Cross Country service so that has nothing at all to do with anything. Your best chance is a train that carries on to Harrogate, Bradford or Skipton provided you're in the right portion of the train. Even then they're unlikely to do a service between Wakefield and Leeds when there will be a large passenger changeover.
I doubt you get a choice of which portion of train to go onto Bradford, Harrogate or Skipton, I’m guessing they are only a single 5 car unit. I would also think catering is not provided beyond Leeds

There are catering crews in both portions.

There is specifically a Senior Host in the front portion - they have slightly upgraded duties in that they’re the point of contact if needed, as the TM is always in the rear unit.

Realistically, normally the crew will be in the process of packing away (crockery / cutlery / rubbish etc) at Wakefield in the northbound direction, in the case of a Leeds terminator.

In the case of Bradford, that’s slightly less likely. You’re unlikely to get a 10-car go on to Harrogate, and you won’t get one to Skipton.