• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A day in Geneva, anything interesting?

route101

Established Member
I have a day in Geneva coming up. Is there anything interesting rail wise? Any short trips into France ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

You could sample the new 'Léman Express' line running from Cornavin main station to Annemasse in France, returning by tram or v.v. If you have time you could continue to Annecy, an attractive lakeside city and quite a scenic route. St. Gervais is another possibility with the Mont Blanc Tramway.

Geneva in my experience is rather dull and incredibly expensive.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Take a train to Montreux. Much nicer ;)

Genuinely one of the most scenic mainlines in the world in my view. Well worth it.

Sit on the right for the best view.

Vevey is also a charming little town to spend a bit of time in. It's about 45 minutes to an hour's walk along the lake between the two if you fancy that, stunningly scenic throughout.

mad_rich

Having been to Geneva a few times, I have to agree that it's a surprisingly dull city!

Chamonix + the Monenvers railway is quite a haul. It's also very depressing to see the state of the Glacier when you get up there.

Depending on your budget and time, you could do a decent chunk of the Goldenpass route, which is gorgeous and has some interesting old trains. Keep going from Montreux as far as Gstaad or Zweisimmen, then return the same way. You could even push on to Spiez, then return via the Intercity route.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If time permits I'd consider a run along Lac Léman to Aigle, from where you can take the Leysin branch. Possibly the most unusual branch line I've ever been on - it runs the wrong way down a one-way street before becoming a rack railway with stations that are so steep the platform is like a set of stairs:

PXL_20230107_134836801.jpg

The views along the way are stunning!
PXL_20230107_140053683.jpg

Beebman

You could take a train to Nyon and then change onto the metre-gauge NStCM line which is reasonably scenic and terminates at the village of La Cure which is split in two by the Franco-Swiss border.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Go to Lausanne. Only half an hour away and 3 fast trains per hour.

mrmartin

I just went from Geneva to Lyon by train (staying over in Annecy). I'd recommend going to Annecy. Geneva was so boring and overpriced (and honestly not that nice - lots of homeless people everywhere) that we left after a couple of hours for France, we were expecting to stay for the whole day. Honestly just wish we didn't bother getting off the train. I don't even think it's really worth bothering walking down to the lake, there was nothing there apart from a cafe in the park (but loads of rowdy homeless people were in the park).

nwales58

... Aigle, from where you can take the Leysin branch.
If the OP gets as far as Aigle (or even Vevey) there is more than a day's worth of swissness. AL is the most fun but Aigle-Sépey-Diablerets, Aigle-Ollon-Monthey-Champéry (all now more similar apart from rack/adhesion but used to be different stock and voltages) and Bex-Villars-Bretaye.

Around Montreux as well as MOB there is Montreux-Rochers de Naye, Vevey-Pleiades, a couple of funiculars and trolleybuses along the lakeside. It's winter so the Blonay-Chamby museum line is shut.

Pléiades and Rochers de Naye give even more spectacular views on the lake and the French Alps than the MOB, if the weather is clear. All are swiss-expensive of course. The Mon Pélerin funicular is cheaper.

Or stick to Lausanne for an amazing mixture: M2 was the Lausanne-Ouchy rack railway (ex-funicular) now rubber-tyred metro, M1 is high platform tram, Lausanne-Échallens-Bercher is typical swiss metre gauge railway, was on street but now tunnel in the centre, plus loads of trolleybus routes.

Geneva has unusual double-articulated trolleybuses.

Mike99

If time permits I'd consider a run along Lac Léman to Aigle, from where you can take the Leysin branch. Possibly the most unusual branch line I've ever been on - it runs the wrong way down a one-way street before becoming a rack railway with stations that are so steep the platform is like a set of stairs:

View attachment 150774

The views along the way are stunning!
View attachment 150775
Hi, do you know if the Leysin branch is included on the Interrail pass?, I have the opportunity to incorporate it, I'm going from Zweiiemen to Montreux and then I was going to Geneva and back for the ride.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi, do you know if the Leysin branch is included on the Interrail pass?, I have the opportunity to incorporate it, I'm going from Zweiiemen to Montreux and then I was going to Geneva and back for the ride.
Yes, it is. Almost all trains in Switzerland are - there's a map here which shows the details, including lines on which a discount is offered for showing an Interrail pass.

Mike99

Yes, it is. Almost all trains in Switzerland are - there's a map here which shows the details, including lines on which a discount is offered for showing an Interrail pass.
Thanks for the info, two of the heavyweight posters replying giving advice I feel quite humble

nwales58

Interrail would change the answer to: do everything included, for me, La Cure, Les Pleiades, Leysin, or up the MOB to Montbovon then back via Bulle. Leave the boats and light rail for another time.

Swisskids

I have a day in Geneva coming up. Is there anything interesting rail wise? Any short trips into France ?
We have children in Bern and Zurich so we often fly into Geneva… and use many of the lines around Geneva / Zurich so we keep an eye on all offers…

Currently Swiss Coop and SBB have a special offer of Sfr 49 for a Day Pass valid on all public transport…

The latest offer has just started and cards purchased can be used until 19th March… so you can buy more than one if you’re going back..

Purchase window 22/1 to 18/2.

First class upgrade Sfr 20, and as part of the offer 20% off Restaurant Car purchases…

It can be bought from all Coops and Coop City… each branch has an allocation so you may have to look around… but the site has an availability search function.

It‘s a case of when they’re gone they’re gone…

Go to the Tobacco / Newsagent counter.

For an interesting look at what’s happening around Geneva have a look at the RMweb site Overseas - Swiss - Genf / Romandie…

Where to go… well if I had a day… but depending on your time availability mood and weather.. One of these…

Geneve - Neuchatel - Bern - Lausanne - Geneve - great mix of trains… and the descent into Lausanne is best in late afternoon. Trad restauran car to Neuchatel + super tilt train and wonderful views…

Geneve - Neuchatel - Bern - Spietz - Zweisimmen - Gstaad - Montreux - Geneve

Geneve - Montreux - Rochers de Naye - you will get a 50% discount for the mountain section from Caux… Just sublime - a real cog train from the dark ages!

For future planning the Bahnoldtimer website is useful

Hope this helps

Robert

route101

Established Member
You could take a train to Nyon and then change onto the metre-gauge NStCM line which is reasonably scenic and terminates at the village of La Cure which is split in two by the Franco-Swiss border.
I ended up in La Cure, with the border.

I did find the ticket machines a little confusing. They showed a half price fare then when I clicked through it doubled for one way fare. Is the half fare some sort of railcard?

I didn't get my ticket checked at all on any trains.

nwales58

Web site is the same. Many/most Swiss seem to have the 'Halbtax' 50% off railcard (25% on many mountain lines) which is why it is the default.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I ended up in La Cure, with the border.

I did find the ticket machines a little confusing. They showed a half price fare then when I clicked through it doubled for one way fare. Is the half fare some sort of railcard?

I didn't get my ticket checked at all on any trains.
The default quoted fare is based on the assumption that you have a 'Halbtax' (half fare Railcard), since the majority of journeys are made using a Halbtax. Admittedly somewhat confusing for a visitor!

Most local trains are DOO so you will only have your ticket checked if RPIs are about.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's worth noting, talking of tickets, that on DOO services the requirement to hold a ticket is basically absolute, i.e. even a broken machine isn't a defence against a penalty fare. Though inspections are incredibly rare, I don't think I ever came across one in 2 years of knocking around RER Vaud. On guarded trains there are a few valid excuses, one of which is "clueless tourist" (really!). It is interesting that they have the two different approaches both indicated by the "eye" symbol.

route101

Established Member
It's worth noting, talking of tickets, that on DOO services the requirement to hold a ticket is basically absolute, i.e. even a broken machine isn't a defence against a penalty fare. Though inspections are incredibly rare, I don't think I ever came across one in 2 years of knocking around RER Vaud. On guarded trains there are a few valid excuses, one of which is "clueless tourist" (really!). It is interesting that they have the two different approaches both indicated by the "eye" symbol.
There was someone on my service from the Airport to Nyon who went beyond the Geneva city zone or something. They asked the member of staff who passed through and they said its not allowed and you will have to buy a new ticket when the guard comes round. The guard came around.

Last time I was in Geneva in 2012 the trains were free from airport to City Centre.

Was nice to see TER rake of SNCF coaches at Geneva too.

Swisskids

Travel by public transport for people arriving by air into Geneva city is ‘free’.

You need to obtain a transfer ticket airside which is valid for 80 minutes to reach your hotel.

Note this cannot be obtained once you have gone through customs. I will check again on Friday.

Travelling without a ticket is not recommended… SBB are now losing significant revenue and checks are becoming much more frequent. The consequences can be serious (criminal record), the fines are high, and go up with subsequent offences…

One of our sons lost his paper ticket in Zurich. We were with him and it was a truly horrible experience both on the train and afterwards…

SBB are now offering advance purchase Day Passes and Saver Day Pass . The further ahead you buy the SDP the cheaper it is… and you don’t need a Halbtax.

Without a Halbtax the price can be as low as Sfr 52 - bought well in advance. On the day Sfr 78.

Buy online and download to mobile.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Note this cannot be obtained once you have gone through customs. I will check again on Friday.

Correct, the machines are in baggage reclaim just before customs, the reason why is so only people who actually flew in have the facility (though there's very little to stop them from dispensing more than one if they know they're meeting someone landside).

route101

Established Member
I never seen any but I flew into Terminal 2.
Correct, the machines are in baggage reclaim just before customs, the reason why is so only people who actually flew in have the facility (though there's very little to stop them from dispensing more than one if they know they're meeting someone landside).

northwichcat

Established Member
I don't know which terminal Easyjet fly into but when I went to Geneva with them in 2022 and looked into the free arrival ticket I was told it had been withdrawn.

I also didn't see any machines and pretty much everyone arriving was buying a ticket from the machines at Geneva Airport station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I never seen any but I flew into Terminal 2.

The low cost bit rather than the round satellites? Interesting, didn't know that had been brought back into use.

Yes, this lengthy Tripadvisor thread seems to suggest withdrawal of the free ticket :(

Just came through GVA airport and noticed there are no more free transport tickets for travel in the canton of Geneva.