• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A day in the life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newapplicant

Good evening all,

I'll apologise in advance but I haven't seen any other posts jump out at me with the same kind of info that I'm requesting.

I've recently applied for Northern to be based from Leeds.

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a typical day whilst working on the trains with Northern, ideally from Leeds but would also accept West Yorkshire too. Alternatively if you know of any good Youtube videos which would give a good insight too.

Thanks in advance any posts are greatly appreciated.

newapplicant.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
Applied to do what? There are a great many resources in the careers section of the forum.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Wake up, fall out of bed, drag a comb across your head. Find your way downstairs and drink a cup, look up notice you are late. Find your coat and grab your hat. Make the bus in seconds flat. (etcetera)

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
What job? Driver? Fitter? Conductor? Revenue? Ticket office? Train planning? Human Resources? Platform staff? Controller? Station Manager? Chief Operating Officer?

bionic

Very basic day in the life of a driver:

Book on. Collect diagram. Check diagram. Read/sign for notices. Chat to colleagues and have a cuppa (if time). Walk/taxi/pass to train. Prep (if required). Work trains as per diagram (service trains/shunt/split/attach etc). Take diagrammed break. Work further trains as per diagram. Submit any reports if required. Check turn for next day. Go home.

RBSN

Apologies, I did intend to state trainee train driver, or regular driver.

Very basic day in the life of a driver:

Book on. Collect diagram. Check diagram. Read/sign for notices. Chat to colleagues and have a cuppa (if time). Walk/taxi/pass to train. Prep (if required). Work trains as per diagram (service trains/shunt/split/attach etc). Take diagrammed break. Work further trains as per diagram. Submit any reports if required. Check turn for next day. Go home.

This but for trainee add skyscraper high amounts of paperwork everyday until you qualify.

RBSN

What kind, if you dont mind me asking?

Basically everything you would ever need to know about becoming a mainline train driver and maintaining that professional standard throughout your career.

It has been said that the driver course is the equaivilent to completing a degree within 12-16 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.