• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A day trip to Brigg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisC

Established Member
There have been numerous threads concerning the rail Service to Brigg. Discussions about the inadequate timetable, including the recent timetable change and which TOC should operate the service, have been discussed at length. This is my report on using the line for a day trip to Brigg so please don‘t use this thread to go over all the old discussions from the other threads. I know that the new Monday to Friday service of only one return journey from Sheffield to Cleethorpes is pretty useless for most journeys. It doesn’t allow long enough for a day out in Cleethorpes and does not enable people from stations on the line to travel west for a day. However, it does, for the first time allow people from South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and beyond to visit Brigg for almost 3 hours for the Thursday market day.

Although I live in Nottinghamshire, with easy access to the Brigg line via Worksop, until yesterday it is a line that I have never travelled along. I’d been intending to have a trip to Cleethorpes one Saturday for years but never got around to it. I’d read that Brigg is quite a pleasant historic town with a market on Thursdays so yesterday I decided to give it a try.

I used Hucknall station, north of Nottingham, on the Robin Hood Line to begin my journey to Brigg with one change of train at Worksop. Unfortunately the connections at Worksop are not good with a wait of approximately 40 minutes on the outward journey and 55 minutes on the return journey. Not bad on a warm sunny day like yesterday when I could sit in the sun on Worksop station and read. With my Senior Railcard it amazingly was only £9.30 for an Anytime Day Return from Hucknall to Brigg. Hucknall to Worksop is a route that I am very familiar and it was good yesterday to do my outward and return journey on 170204, an ex Greater Anglia unit, which was in much better condition inside than many of the EMR 170’s. I do find the 170’s quite noisy and slow at accelerating between the numerous stops on the gradients on the Robin Hood Line in comparison to 156’s and 158’s. I can’t help but think that is part of the reason why the old tried and tested timetable has not been restored. Another observation was the fact that on both the outward and return journeys I never had my ticket checked. On the return journey there were large groups of youths travelling short distances like Mansfield to Kirkby and Kirkby to Newstead and I do wonder if any of them actually had tickets. I’ve had my ticket checked very few times on the Robin Hood Line recently.

150210 was the unit on the Sheffield to Cleethorpes run yesterday. I had checked earlier that morning that it was actually running before I set out on my journey. The train was very well loaded when it arrived in Worksop with quite a number of passengers getting off at both Worksop and Retford. A handful of people boarded at both Worksop and Retford. About half a dozen people got off at Gainsborough Central and one person got on. The train was still well over half full on departure from Gainsborough Central. I found it a very pleasant ride through nice countryside. The only problem being huge amounts of shredded leaves that were being ripped off the line side vegetation and coming in through the open windows. I think yesterday was an unusually busy day for Brigg Station! There were four of us getting off the train at Brigg and about half a dozen people waiting to get on, including some people with suitcases.

The exit from the station is all a bit derelict and doesn’t give a good impression of the town. However, on walking the short distance to the town centre things really improved. It is a nice historic market town with some lovely old buildings. The High Street was busy and there was a good selection of independent shops including some good butchers, bakers etc and numerous places to eat and drink. The Thursday market was also busy with a small but good selection of stalls. It was a bit too hot to buy fresh food items to bring back with me on a journey home of almost 3 hours. The timetable allows almost 3 hours in Brigg which was just about right for a good wander around the town and market, have something to eat and drink followed by a walk along the River Ancholme. The new timetable may not be much use for days out in Cleethorpes etc but I would encourage people to use it for a trip to Brigg, especially on Market Day.

I was the only person boarding the afternoon return train and just one person got off. The train was very well loaded with through passengers. A surprisingly large number of people got off at Retford obviously making connections there but the train was still quite well loaded with passengers travelling towards Sheffield. Quite a number were waiting to get on at Worksop as I got off.

That was a much longer report than I intended to write! I must go again on a cooler day when I can bring some Lincolnshire sausages back with me for the freezer. I might have another day out soon and explore Kirton Lindsey, smaller place but looks a nice area to have a walk around for 3 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_5050.jpeg
    IMG_5050.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5048.jpeg
    IMG_5048.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5042.jpeg
    IMG_5042.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5041.jpeg
    IMG_5041.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5046.jpeg
    IMG_5046.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5043.jpeg
    IMG_5043.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 46
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That sure looks like a nice little town, I'll have to try and pop in one day and have an explore :)

Thanks for sharing!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That sure looks like a nice little town, I'll have to try and pop in one day and have an explore :)

Thanks for sharing!

Reminds me of Ormskirk, being a similar pedestrianised market town, but seems a little nicer. Very pleasant, shame about the train service.

(Anyone in Ormskirk whining about Merseyrail's occasionally iffy treatment of the outer reaches should perhaps take a look and see what they might have were it not for the Liverpool City Region taxpayer! :) )

Kite159

Veteran Member
Brigg is a nice town with a station which could probably do well if it had a decent level of service. Shame Covid happened with the Sheffield - Gainsborough Central stoppers getting the axe as those could have been extended to Barnetby even as a trial service (but that is just breaking the crayons out)

Reminded me a bit like Snaith on the Knottingley - Goole parli service.

Iskra

Established Member
Looks quite pleasant. I might try cover the line again with the new weekday service- I last did it just before The Plague on a 144.

davews

Thanks for those piccies which brought back memories. Spent my childhood in North Lincolnshire and at Brigg Grammar School. The town has changed over the years - in my time all the traffic went straight through the centre (and I once manned a traffic survey a part of the effort to get a bypass). Strangely only used the station once or twice, and it is a little away from the town centre. Kirton Lindsey and Scawby were nearer stations to us in Waddingham but don't think we ever used those stations either.

railfan99

Established Member
Another observation was the fact that on both the outward and return journeys I never had my ticket checked. On the return journey there were large groups of youths travelling short distances like Mansfield to Kirkby and Kirkby to Newstead and I do wonder if any of them actually had tickets. I’ve had my ticket checked very few times on the Robin Hood Line recently.

Needs to improve! Could you telephone and complain?
150210 was the unit on the Sheffield to Cleethorpes run yesterday. I had checked earlier that morning that it was actually running before I set out on my journey. The train was very well loaded when it arrived in Worksop with quite a number of passengers getting off at both Worksop and Retford. A handful of people boarded at both Worksop and Retford. About half a dozen people got off at Gainsborough Central and one person got on. The train was still well over half full on departure from Gainsborough Central...I think yesterday was an unusually busy day for Brigg Station! There were four of us getting off the train at Brigg and about half a dozen people waiting to get on, including some people with suitcases.

Once more, fantastic to know many are using rail, but if many are fare evaders, your DfT and others will never know the true patronage unless staff check tickets.

Wiki suggests that only 632 trips (counting both entries and exits, which to me is 'double counting') were made to/from Brigg in 2021-22, so an average of about 1.8 per day, or under one person boarding, or alighting, each calendar day.

The Thursday market was also busy with a small but good selection of stalls. It was a bit too hot to buy fresh food items to bring back with me on a journey home of almost 3 hours.

I live in a different country with dissimilar standards, but given your Met Office suggests typical tops of 22-24 degrees (cool for me), I'd find it easy to carry sausages for that time. Why not make them the last item you buy prior to walking back to the station? If you're really concerned about deterioration, bring a backpack with a small dry ice or similar container to pop against the snags.
I was the only person boarding the afternoon return train and just one person got off. The train was very well loaded with through passengers. A surprisingly large number of people got off at Retford obviously making connections there but the train was still quite well loaded with passengers travelling towards Sheffield. Quite a number were waiting to get on at Worksop as I got off.

Again, thank you for a wonderful report with excellent pictures. Well done on using the station, and paying a fare that was good value as you suggest. My British Isles Railway Atlas (purchased only recently) claims passenger trains through Brigg operate on 'Saturdays only': I note from your comments re weekdays, and Wiki, this changed for the better in May 2023.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Thank you for the report. May it encourage others to use the, er, service (such as it is).

ChrisC

Established Member
Thank you for all the comments. Brigg certainly is worth visiting for the few hours that the otherwise useless timetable allows on Thursdays when it is market day. I’m not so sure if it would be quite such a good place to spend 3 hours on a wet Monday in winter! I was probably being a little over cautious about not bringing some Lincolnshire sausages back with me in the hot weather but it was around 25 degrees. It provides me with an excuse to go again in slightly cooler weather.

Just to clarify there was no problem with ticket inspections on the Northern train between Worksop and Brigg. I had my ticket checked in both directions. It was the EMR trains on the Robin Hood Line where no one came through the train to inspect tickets in both directions. EMR staff on most of their routes are usually very regular at inspecting tickets. I have, however, very rarely had my ticket checked when travelling on the Robin Hood Line in recent months. I have a feeling that many gangs of youths, often with bikes, are getting wise to this and are regularly doing short journeys without paying.

countryjoe

Kirton Lindsey town centre is on top of the hill.
The views from it are worth the effort on their own.

ChrisC

Established Member
Kirton Lindsey town centre is on top of the hill.
The views from it are worth the effort on their own.
I’ve just been having a look on Google Earth and it looks an interesting old place to have a good look around. I can see another trip in that direction coming up before the end of this summer. I’m quite happy to spend 3 hours in a quiet place like that just wandering around the streets and lanes, and even exploring a few footpaths. I think I did go there by car many years ago but can’t remember much about it. I can remember Sargents the large furniture shop.

Veteran Member
Perhaps the Brigg Line Rail Group should be pushing Northern to promote day trips to the towns from Sheffield?
It's something I wouldn't have thought of doing before reading the report.

IBLRG

There have been numerous threads concerning the rail Service to Brigg. Discussions about the inadequate timetable, including the recent timetable change and which TOC should operate the service, have been discussed at length. This is my report on using the line for a day trip to Brigg so please don‘t use this thread to go over all the old discussions from the other threads. I know that the new Monday to Friday service of only one return journey from Sheffield to Cleethorpes is pretty useless for most journeys. It doesn’t allow long enough for a day out in Cleethorpes and does not enable people from stations on the line to travel west for a day. However, it does, for the first time allow people from South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and beyond to visit Brigg for almost 3 hours for the Thursday market day.

Although I live in Nottinghamshire, with easy access to the Brigg line via Worksop, until yesterday it is a line that I have never travelled along. I’d been intending to have a trip to Cleethorpes one Saturday for years but never got around to it. I’d read that Brigg is quite a pleasant historic town with a market on Thursdays so yesterday I decided to give it a try.

I used Hucknall station, north of Nottingham, on the Robin Hood Line to begin my journey to Brigg with one change of train at Worksop. Unfortunately the connections at Worksop are not good with a wait of approximately 40 minutes on the outward journey and 55 minutes on the return journey. Not bad on a warm sunny day like yesterday when I could sit in the sun on Worksop station and read. With my Senior Railcard it amazingly was only £9.30 for an Anytime Day Return from Hucknall to Brigg. Hucknall to Worksop is a route that I am very familiar and it was good yesterday to do my outward and return journey on 170204, an ex Greater Anglia unit, which was in much better condition inside than many of the EMR 170’s. I do find the 170’s quite noisy and slow at accelerating between the numerous stops on the gradients on the Robin Hood Line in comparison to 156’s and 158’s. I can’t help but think that is part of the reason why the old tried and tested timetable has not been restored. Another observation was the fact that on both the outward and return journeys I never had my ticket checked. On the return journey there were large groups of youths travelling short distances like Mansfield to Kirkby and Kirkby to Newstead and I do wonder if any of them actually had tickets. I’ve had my ticket checked very few times on the Robin Hood Line recently.

150210 was the unit on the Sheffield to Cleethorpes run yesterday. I had checked earlier that morning that it was actually running before I set out on my journey. The train was very well loaded when it arrived in Worksop with quite a number of passengers getting off at both Worksop and Retford. A handful of people boarded at both Worksop and Retford. About half a dozen people got off at Gainsborough Central and one person got on. The train was still well over half full on departure from Gainsborough Central. I found it a very pleasant ride through nice countryside. The only problem being huge amounts of shredded leaves that were being ripped off the line side vegetation and coming in through the open windows. I think yesterday was an unusually busy day for Brigg Station! There were four of us getting off the train at Brigg and about half a dozen people waiting to get on, including some people with suitcases.

The exit from the station is all a bit derelict and doesn’t give a good impression of the town. However, on walking the short distance to the town centre things really improved. It is a nice historic market town with some lovely old buildings. The High Street was busy and there was a good selection of independent shops including some good butchers, bakers etc and numerous places to eat and drink. The Thursday market was also busy with a small but good selection of stalls. It was a bit too hot to buy fresh food items to bring back with me on a journey home of almost 3 hours. The timetable allows almost 3 hours in Brigg which was just about right for a good wander around the town and market, have something to eat and drink followed by a walk along the River Ancholme. The new timetable may not be much use for days out in Cleethorpes etc but I would encourage people to use it for a trip to Brigg, especially on Market Day.

That was a much longer report than I intended to write! I must go again on a cooler day when I can bring some Lincolnshire sausages back with me for the freezer. I might have another day out soon and explore Kirton Lindsey, smaller place but looks a nice area to have a walk around for 3 hours.
Thank you for taking the time in visiting the wonderful town of Brigg and the lovely Independent shops that they have.

It has been a rather strange situation with the new weekly one round trip train service, due to the train operator offering a advanced fair between Sheffield to Grimsby and Cleethorpes and vice versa the trains through the summer where actually quite full, in some cases they were full and standing, with the operator on a number of occasions having to swap a two-car 150 with a three car 150 to cope with demand.

The new timetable does allow connections from either end where is east Coast Main Line services at Retford to connect to London, this has proved very popular.

Unfortunately passenger figures for the Communities of Brigg and Kirton-in-Lindsey who of course matter the most in all of this, has been practically obliterated, the main footfall to the market town of Brigg came from Grimsby and Cleethorpes, customers are not going to wait 22 hours for a eastbound train.

Proposals have been put forward by the Independent Brigg Line Rail Group via the trade union and Sheffield train crew management to see if they can get an extra round trip.

This would take one unit and two crew.
The first train would be three times to run two hours earlier at 0754, and services would be retimed to run earlier from Cleethorpes to provide a connection at Worksop with the Robin Hood line.

Who runs the Brigg Line services in the future is still up for debate, in a recent online poll that was targeted for the communities of Brigg and Kirton-in-Lindsey, TransPennine came out favorite to.provide a Cleethorpes to Worksop shuttle service.

Attachments

• -kngzls.jpg
    -kngzls.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 17

avid2424

I have much enjoyed this thread. And on Friday 26 October I am embark on my long planned rail trip from South London to Brigg. And I return by rail from Brigg on Monday 29 October

Sadly I am too old for the bright lights and wild all night parties of Brigg. Otherwise a great weekend with an extra hour to party as they put the clocks back

I will be using the bus to spend a gentle weekend based in Scunthorpe, but I will make the most of my few precious hours in Brigg

EDIT ... I do of course mean Friday 27 October to Monday 30 October. I have the tickets, purchased via the forum's site. I was not much awake, and on a train when I posted earlier today

Last edited:

davews

Hope you got the right dates on your tickets, do you mean Friday 27th to Monday 30th? Whatever, enjoy your trip.

IBLRG

Perhaps the Brigg Line Rail Group should be pushing Northern to promote day trips to the towns from Sheffield?
It's something I wouldn't have thought of doing before reading the report.
There is a constant promotion on Twitter, and other social media channels, to come and visit the town of Brigg by train from Sheffield Worksop, Retford, and Gainsborough.

It doesn't help that the fare structure is not very fair, where's constant requests for advanced tickets to bring football into Brigg going on deaf ears for a number of years.

avid2424

Thanks davews. I do of course mean Friday 27 October to Monday 30 October. I have the tickets, purchased via the forum's site. I was not much awake, and on a train when I posted earlier today

avid2424

I am using Advance Singles for my journey to Brigg on Friday 27 October and from Brigg on Monday 30 October. The tickets were purchased via the forum's site, but are of course SPLIT Advance tickets.

The Brigg bits are £3.30 with Senior Railcard Advance Single from Grimsby Town to Brigg. Valid on SPECIFIED Northern Trains (sic) only. 13:27 from Grimsby Town on 27 October. No specific seat reserved

And £3.30 with Senior Railcard Advance Single from Brigg to Retford. Valid on SPECIFIED Northern Trains (sic) only. 13:49 from Brigg on 30 October. No specific seat reserved

The remainder of each leg is in each instance a ONE TICKET Advance, from South London and back to South London. I am sure that I made the forum's website make a bit of a search for further splits

Of course my major concern is/was to get to Grimsby Town SIGNIFICANTLY in time for the connection, rather than see what the Railways might do to making sure that I complete my journey to Brigg station - waiting in Grimsby Town until Monday for the next train by Northern is not that attractive

Status
Not open for further replies.