• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronR

Hi Everyone, I have been lurking here for a while now and asking a few questions etc. the basis of that is how much I dream of moving profession and becoming a train driver. It really is my dream job and something I have wanted to do for years. My backround is haulage and logistics, I have worked in it since I left school in 2000, I passed my transport manager CPC qualification at 17, passed my HGV test at 22 and have worked my way up to being the transport manager for the haulage company I work at now, and have been in the role for 2 and a half years, in charge of 55 trucks and 80 trailers at Felixstowe, Peterborough and Southampton. The question I have, is it really just a pipe dream? I have read how difficult it is to pass the interviews with the fierce competition, let alone actually pass all the psychometric tests etc so I have almost resigned myself to it never happening, not to mention only having Greater Anglia in my area unless I go onto freight.

Do you lovely peeps have any advice at all or should I really keep it as a pipe dream?

thanks, Aaron

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
The question I have, is it really just a pipe dream?

It is both a dream and a total and complete nightmare.

The dream side is that it is open to everyone and anyone. No qualifications needed, just a little life experience can serve you well. This is a job about aptitude more than anything else. If you can drive a car, then you can drive a train.

The nightmare side is that the application process is a little ruthless at times and very unforgiving. Suffice to say that there are numerous hoops to jump through and failing at any will stop your application dead and the two strikes rule can be punishing.

I have read how difficult it is to pass the interviews with the fierce competition, let alone actually pass all the psychometric tests etc so I have almost resigned myself to it never happening,

You must not fear, fear is the mindkiller...

Its an aptitude test. You either got it or you don't. I wouldnt worry about others and just concentrate on yourself

not to mention only having Greater Anglia in my area unless I go onto freight.

Just another part of the nightmare tbh. TOC's can be restrictive in where they recruit from so your options are limited from the outset.

Do you lovely peeps have any advice at all or should I really keep it as a pipe dream?

thanks, Aaron

Apply, apply, apply, simples.

KT530

Hi Everyone, I have been lurking here for a while now and asking a few questions etc. the basis of that is how much I dream of moving profession and becoming a train driver. It really is my dream job and something I have wanted to do for years. My backround is haulage and logistics, I have worked in it since I left school in 2000, I passed my transport manager CPC qualification at 17, passed my HGV test at 22 and have worked my way up to being the transport manager for the haulage company I work at now, and have been in the role for 2 and a half years, in charge of 55 trucks and 80 trailers at Felixstowe, Peterborough and Southampton. The question I have, is it really just a pipe dream? I have read how difficult it is to pass the interviews with the fierce competition, let alone actually pass all the psychometric tests etc so I have almost resigned myself to it never happening, not to mention only having Greater Anglia in my area unless I go onto freight.

thanks, Aaron

Aspects of your skills and experience are certainly transferrable to the Train Driver role. Having done your manager CPC is also advantage as that also puts strict rules and procedures into practice.

Certain TOCs allow you to relocate, mine did as I moved into the area for the job

I think the trick is to not want it too much. Easier said than done if you've always wanted it, but I applied not expecting anything and had a job offer within 6 weeks of initial application

As others have said, it does no harm in trying, so I would start by making sure your CV is up to date, pre prepare your covering letter and make a couple of applications and see where it leads

sw1ller

Established Member
I've been driving HGV1 since 2002, well,I did, I don't anymore. 2 years ago I finally passed all the interviews and tests and offered a role as train driver. It took a good 5 years and I failed a lot at the application stage. I failed a manager interview once but the same company let me in a year later at a different (and more suitable) location. My only advice to you is, don't give up. Take each challenge one step at a time. If you work at it enough then it'll happen. You're not wasting your time. I was 33 when I got the job and another was 26. But there were also 55 year olds on the course too. So don't think age is a factor either. You've plenty of time to get it right. I will say this though, it's hard work. Not only to get the job but the following 8-10 months after you get it. Mentally exhausting at times but well worth it.

Good luck.

ComUtoR

Established Member
This just isn't the case.

OOooooooH really ? How do you see it ?

I'm coming from the pure driving perspective. I must admit that I find driving a car much harder than any unit I drive. Its hard to describe the level of difficulty of driving other than likening it to a car. If you have a better analogy then I'd be grateful to hear it.

When I describe stopping at the monitors I typically liken it to stopping at the line at a set of lights. Brake on the approach, coast into it, light touch to finish and ease off if you brake to hard.

Cheers as always SPADTrap

Murrchine

thanks, Aaron

Hi Aaron
Got to follow your dreams,I have spent 24 years as an agricultural technician repair and maintenance of all thing agricultural tractors combines etc. although worked my way up to senior tech and enjoyed what I was doing train driving always been something I wanted to do, I applied a few years ago to couple of TOC's but in middle of process had a unexpected medical issue which put a halt to that. Carried on with the ag job giving train driving little thought for a while. End of last year local TOC advertising for trainee drivers so thought why not so applied went through process and passed it all even medical although had to spend a bit of money on extra test required due to previous medical issue. I start training next week and cannot wait,never imagined I would be in this position.
My advise go for it,its one hell of a process much patience required, well worth it if you can get through.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I agree; It's like saying if you can drive a car you can fly a plane.

Bizarre statement.

Still don't see it. It's about transferable skills. Something of which gets discussed many times. How many highway code rules and regs do you learn and have you ever considered that is just like our rule book.

The question, 'tell me a time where you had to learn something over a number of weeks...' Learning to drive is a great example. HGV strengthens the answer as it shows advanced learning and skill too.

Driving is easy. I don't know many Drivers who would say any different. Again, the ease of it gets discussed often on this forum. Even this evening driving home I was thinking about route knowledge and how you learn your route to and from work etc and you know the locations of the traffic lights, hills, roundabouts etc. That's basic route knowledge skills.

red2005

thanks, Aaron

My advice is to go for it!..... don't worry about others and the numbers involved just worry about yourself. You do what you have to do correctly within the process and the rest will take care of itself.

People will tell you how hard the tests are etc but what's hard for some is easy for others so how much is that really a factor really? You are in the right place here as lots of us have been through the process with us experiencing the happy and sad sides to it so there's plenty of advice available here for you.

Also you'll find that the applicant him or herself can be their own worst enemy within the process by putting so much pressure on themselves in what's already a competitive environment...... the last thing you need is to add to that by worrying etc. Just relax and go with the flow and you'll be fine.

In terms of Toc's in your area!...... as hard as it can be depending on your personal circumstances I'd say the ability to be flexible in relation to possible relocation could be a really good string to the bow.... this job certainly doesn't come to you. Also give yourself any other advantage that you can...... for example don't just restrict yourself to the drivers job if they're not being advertised at present...... get yourself into any a safety critical related railway role if you can..... a lot of people start as conductors or railway staff and it gives them a big advantage.

Don't get me wrong you'd still have to jump through the same hoops as anyone else when you apply from there but there's so many more things that you can throw at someone interviewing you..... things that someone off the street can't!...... remember small things can make big differences. Also working alongside drivers regularly you'd be able to see the job up close...... remember a lot if people have dream jobs but when they get there it's not quite what they expected...... at least that way you'd know for certain!...... remember as good as the job is it's still not a paradise and it has its downsides, there's a lot of sacrifices to be made to be able to do it successfully.

Do your research on the job and the companies that you're applying to! Never ever try and wing your way through the recruitment process..... the odds of stumbling your way to a position are as likely as Manchester Utd fans being good looking....... remote....... you have to be at your best at every stage and even then there needs to be a bit of luck along the way too!

Lastly I'd say FOLLOW YOUR DREAM!!...... if you want it bad enough do what it takes!..... remember it's your career and only you can get it. You will get knock backs like we all do/did but it's important you use those as a positive...... use any feedback you get should you have any unsuccessful applications and fix the fault (if there is one) far too many people don't take on board what they've been told in their feedback and just go back and fall short time and time again and then wonder why....... I mean if your car failed it's MOT would you take it back before fixing the fault?

What I will say is though I'll have to disagree with Commutor here..... if you can drive a car it certainly doesn't mean you could drive a train..... the levels of reactions.... concentration..... technical skills etc demanded are far higher for a train driver..... the key thing is though just because you COULD operate something it doesn't mean you SHOULD operate something..... I could probably fire a gun without much tuition but it doesn't make me a soldier.... 99.9% of what makes a candidate suitable for train driving is if they have the right personality for the job.

Lastly good luck mate! Go for it!

donpoku

If you can drive a car, then you can drive a train.
I know what you mean just might not be applicable to all. Also be careful using the term "easy" due to the safety critical responsibility of the role.

Dieseldriver

I agree; It's like saying if you can drive a car you can fly a plane.

Bizarre statement.

Driving a train is not like driving a car. They are not comparable. This Train Driver has driven freight, passenger, locos, units, plenty of degraded working, depot work, possession work.
The knowledge, concentration and professionalism required is massive compared to car driving.
The only thing I would say about Train Driving is that the physical and ergonomic side of Driving a train is relatively 'simple' in a modern traction type (in the same way that modern cars are relatively simple to control/drive). The thought processes behind Driving a train however, are not so simple.

axlecounter

The knowledge, concentration and professionalism required is massive compared to car driving.
The only thing I would say about Train Driving is that the physical and ergonomic side of Driving a train is relatively 'simple' in a modern traction type (in the same way that modern cars are relatively simple to control/drive). The thought processes behind Driving a train however, are not so simple.
Well, that's how most of the population sees it, it shouldn't be that way though. Car driving is difficult and the approach to it should be much more serious. Unfortunately it isn't.

red2005

The physical element of train driving isn't difficult at all as let's be honest unless the poop hits the fan we are sat on our backside. But it's not just physical exertion that makes something difficult or tiring.

In terms of how knackered you are come the end of your shift/week I bet most train drivers would take the Pepsi challenge against anyone hod carrying for 12 hours a day.

In fact ask anyone who drives forms of transport for a living and has to show vast levels of concentration all day how difficult their job is...... when it comes to physical jobs a lot of people can be trained to do them quite effectively......not everyone can be trained to have the levels of concentration and common sense to do this job.

red2005

Well, that's how most of the population sees it, it shouldn't be that way though. Car driving is difficult and the approach to it should be much more serious. Unfortunately it isn't.

Car driving isn't difficult.... it just requires a certain amount of common sense, which unfortunately a lot of road users don't have. That's the only thing that makes driving a car remotely difficult...... oh and as you say the mindset of certain road users.

ComUtoR

Established Member

Tell that to the HGV Driver, Bus Driver, Coach/long distance and Taxi Drivers.

They all have similar skills. Long term concentration, professionalism, reading the road, driving knowledge etc.

People who drive professionally certainly have transferable and similar skills.

AaronR

Thank you very much for all of your replies! Very much food for thought!

While I don't believe it is anything like what I have experienced in the past I do believe there are elements of my career that I definitely believe would assist in becoming a train driver, such as the concentration and development needed to obtain my HGV licence, the general concentration needed to drive them day in day out, plus the elements of knowledge needed to be a Transport Manager in the logistics world. It is not easy! So many rules and regulations, variations of the hours rules etc plus the knowledge needed to things like categorisation of defects, management of service and maintenance planning as well as the management of drivers. However I do understand that learning the rules as a trainee driver probably tops all of that!

I will keep my eyes peeled and hopefully when a position becomes available I can apply!

Aaron

red2005

Thank you very much for all of your replies! Very much food for thought!

While I don't believe it is anything like what I have experienced in the past I do believe there are elements of my career that I definitely believe would assist in becoming a train driver, such as the concentration and development needed to obtain my HGV licence, the general concentration needed to drive them day in day out, plus the elements of knowledge needed to be a Transport Manager in the logistics world. It is not easy! So many rules and regulations, variations of the hours rules etc plus the knowledge needed to things like categorisation of defects, management of service and maintenance planning as well as the management of drivers. However I do understand that learning the rules as a trainee driver probably tops all of that!

I will keep my eyes peeled and hopefully when a position becomes available I can apply!

Aaron

My previous experience as a HGV driver was a major factor in me obtaining my train driver role!

You're in an excellent position with that background!

red2005

Tell that to the HGV Driver, Bus Driver, Coach/long distance and Taxi Drivers.

They all have similar skills. Long term concentration, professionalism, reading the road, driving knowledge etc.

People who drive professionally certainly have transferable and similar skills.

I've been a HGV driver In the past.... tough going and lots of transferable skills.... however having done both now I can safely say it's still not a case of "if you can drive a car/truck/bus you can drive a train..... in my own opinion obviously

RedZed

I dreamt I spent the last two years in a talent pool for nothing...oh, wait... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.