• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A few small hypothetical questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex 2901

Just 2 scenarios I've wondered about, and it's been bugging me for a while.

Scenario 1

I purchase a Child ticket to Derby from Birmingham New Street, I make a slight error and board the Leicester stopper service, but it is possible to get an East Midlands Trains service from Leicester to Derby when I have arrived. Would that be a valid route as the ticket states "Route: Any permitted"?

Scenario 2

I purchase a Child 1st Class single to Wolverhampton from Birmingham New Street, however I board the Arriva Trains Wales service which doesn't have 1st class amenities on board. Is that technically fare evasion, as it isn't a valid ticket for that service?

I think I may have posted this in the wrong board, so if I have, sorry about that!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Yes to the first one and the first class ticket is valid as long as it isnt TOC specific.

duncanp

Established Member
Both the scenarios above are valid, providing of course that you are of an age which is eligible to purchase child tickets.

1st Class tickets are valid for travel in Standard Class accommodation.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Is that technically fare evasion, as it isn't a valid ticket for that service?

First class tickets are valid in standard class accommodation.

The only issue would be if the first class fare is specific to one TOC, in which case it would not be valid on other TOCs' services regardless of class.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
First class tickets are valid in standard class accommodation.

The only issue would be if the first class fare is specific to one TOC, in which case it would not be valid on other TOCs' services regardless of class.

Indeed. In the OP's scenario 2, there are two 1st class single child fares from Birmingham to Wolverhampton, one routed "ANY PERMITTED" (£3.45) and one routed "VIRGIN WESTCOAST" (£2.80). The former would be valid on Arriva Trains Wales services, the latter wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.