• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Greater Anglia experience from a few years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBuchananGB

This is a GA story from many years ago. I hope it amuses someone.

My wife and I visited Ely from Billericay using some special offer £5 each Advance tickets. We arrived at Ely to catch the train for the first leg of our return journey, i.e. Ely to Ipswich. Oddly the train was waiting in the platform, as it should have been coming from Peterborough, so we boarded. Shortly before the due departure time there was an announcement that a freight train had broken down between Ely and Ipswich and all sorts of advice to passengers wishing to travel to Ipswich (via Cambridge I think).

I checked traintimes.org.uk for Ely to Billericay. It gave me the route Ely -> Stansted Airport -> Tottenham Hale -> Stratford -> Billericay.
The first leg was on a CrossCountry service departing almost immediately. Excellent, boarded that, changed at Stansted, changed at Tottenham Hale and then the train was delayed due to a swan on the line. Eventually reached Stratford, then onwards to Billericay arriving maybe 40 minutes later than originally scheduled.

I sent a note to GA customer service, not really a complaint, and received some nominal delay repay I think. Considering that we had only paid £10 for the AP Singles from Ely to Billericay via Ipswich (booked train only) I was quite pleased with the result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.