• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A map of the entire UK bus network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Trowbridge has hourly services to Bath and two hourly to Warminster. Have you tried the library located in the county hall?

No, its because when I thought it wouldn't have been open on a Saturday. I'm usually in Yorkshire but I do venture down to Wiltshire at least a few times a year.

Andyh82

Established Member
Rather than a UK map, having a map for all counties of the UK separately would be a start.

Many areas don't do maps, neither the council or the main operator, meaning you have no idea of the general layout of the network.

Lancashire don't do maps, North Yorkshire don't, Transdev aren't consistent, EYMS or East Yorkshire council have no map, Nottinghamshire doesn't have a map, the list goes on.

6Gman

Established Member
Rather than a UK map, having a map for all counties of the UK separately would be a start.

Many areas don't do maps, neither the council or the main operator, meaning you have no idea of the general layout of the network.

Lancashire don't do maps, North Yorkshire don't, Transdev aren't consistent, EYMS or East Yorkshire council have no map, Nottinghamshire doesn't have a map, the list goes on.

Cheshire West has a map - but it only shows the main towns.

You have to guess how to get from one to t'other!

:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And perhaps surprising for any town/city with a cathedral to not have a Sunday service.

Does Shrewsbury have a cathedral?

Abbey, yes.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Trowbridge has hourly services to Bath and two hourly to Warminster. Have you tried the library located in the county hall?

Phew! So you can still get out of the place on a Sunday - spent a very uncomfortable hour in a pub there once waiting for a bus while some of the local intelligentsia were sizing up whether they could attack me and get away with it, purely on the basis that I wasn't from around there. The Usshers beer was no consolation.

fowler9

Established Member
I think unless you have a smart phone some people are expecting a little bit much.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Phew! So you can still get out of the place on a Sunday - spent a very uncomfortable hour in a pub there once waiting for a bus while some of the local intelligentsia were sizing up whether they could attack me and get away with it, purely on the basis that I wasn't from around there. The Usshers beer was no consolation.

Indeed, you can escape via bus (265) or train. Trowbridge is a curious place. Outwardly looks ok in terms of architecture but very "townie". My other half, who was born in the town, raised nearby and works there, is equally dismissive of TrowVegas

And hence the pin prick of the needle of truth vs the balloon of blind optimism.... the idea that councils will do maps. I have long since given up on North Yorkshire doing anything constructive and I can say the same on Somerset!
No, its because when I thought it wouldn't have been open on a Saturday. I'm usually in Yorkshire but I do venture down to Wiltshire at least a few times a year.

It is open on a Saturday - the locals come in to get their books (and colour them in) ;)

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Indeed, you can escape via bus (265) or train. Trowbridge is a curious place. Outwardly looks ok in terms of architecture but very "townie". My other half, who was born in the town, raised nearby and works there, is equally dismissive of TrowVegas

And hence the pin prick of the needle of truth vs the balloon of blind optimism.... the idea that councils will do maps. I have long since given up on North Yorkshire doing anything constructive and I can say the same on Somerset!

It is open on a Saturday - the locals come in to get their books (and colour them in) ;)

Very pleased to see that Herefordshire still does a full timetable book, with map. Getting to be a rare event.

Statto

Established Member

Nottinghamshire do have a map.
http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/media/109174/nottinghamshirecountybusmap.pdf
http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/transport/public-transport/travel-maps

North Yorkshire used to do bus maps, & used to publish good timetable book.

Barry Doe is a good site as to which councils publishes maps/timetables ecc. http://www.barrydoe.co.uk/home.pdf

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The number of councils producing maps (and / or comprehensive timetables) is reducing.

For England, I have found no route map, current or recent, paper or digital, for East Riding of Yorkshire, Rutland and Norfolk.

For Wales, Neath / Port Talbot and Swansea.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Nottinghamshire do have a map.
http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/media/109174/nottinghamshirecountybusmap.pdf
http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/transport/public-transport/travel-maps

North Yorkshire used to do bus maps, & used to publish good timetable book.

Barry Doe is a good site as to which councils publishes maps/timetables ecc. http://www.barrydoe.co.uk/home.pdf

North Yorkshire has long been poor in public transport provision. From 1986 to 1994, there were no timetable booklets and after that, they were pretty scrappy affairs.

From the late 1990s, things did improve (as did their investment in bus services generally). However, this is now almost a distant memory as services have been chopped year on year. The maps they do produce are pretty dangerous - not showing any detail in terms of frequency etc

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just thinking of how the axe has been taken by certain county councils in this neck of the woods, where not all withdrawn tendered service will be replaced by a commercial service, the use of a previously published area map could now well be construed as misleading for anyone wishing to travel to certain places such as Cow Ark, north of Clitheroe, en route for Dunsop Bridge.

ashworth

Established Member
Does Shrewsbury have a cathedral?

Shrewsbury does have a Roman Catholic cathedral but it is quite small and not anywhere as prominent within the town as many other larger parish churches throughout the country.
The Anglican cathedral actually serving the area including Shrewsbury is actually Lichfield quite some distance away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.