• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Modern Version Of Swallow Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neptune

Established Member
Interesting - I'd have said it would be allowed, as once you've found the contrasting colour you can follow it until you reach a door, which will be in the same contrasting colour. Then again, I'm not partially sighted so I'm not the one the regs are aimed at.
No I think you have to have the doors a complete contrast from the surrounding colour (in this case grey with white surround) to easily aid identification in current legislation.

Your idea of people finding the contrasting colour and then following it to a door sounds somewhat against disability legislation. Why shouldn’t the contrasting colour actually be the door rather than a vague guide to where it might be?

As has been mentioned the grey is also used on the Azuma sets so it’s allowing the livery to have some LNER family resemblance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
View attachment 116998
the light grey (that replaces the old Intercity brownish grey) that begins at the rear third of the loco and DVT doesn't continue all the way down the train like it used to...
I think it does actually; the white stripe between the bright and dark reds does look a subtley different colour to the rest of the body below the red stripe - it's just the light grey is too light so there isn't sufficient difference between that and white for it to stand out I think.

Finally the grey doors on the MK4's simply don't work with that livery at all but obviously being a legal requirement these days, not much that could be done with that one I guess...
I'm not sure what the exact wording of that legal requirement is, but I think it could have been done alot better. For starters, the doors seem to have been done in a colour that isn't found anywhere else on the livery (except maybe the roof) - why are they not the same shade of dark red as the window band? Second, and this is the one I'm not sure about regarding whether it would comply with the legal requirement or not, but get rid of the light-grey up either side of the doors (a bit like an inversed version of the Blue Pullman HST).

EDIT: tried to photoshop it, but I couldn't get the shade of blue I wanted (which would have been GNER blue) so it doesn't look quite right. I've gone with blue rather than red because I've always thought LNER should have gone with blue rather than red - I've tried a similar photoshop with blue instead of red on an Azuma as well in the past.

No I think you have to have the doors a complete contrast from the surrounding colour (in this case grey with white surround) to easily aid identification in current legislation.
The blue doors on the SWR livery don't have the odd white band either side of them that the new LNER livery does - they are the same colour as the blue band running along the bottom.

Neptune

Established Member
The blue doors on the SWR livery don't have the odd white band either side of them that the new LNER livery does - they are the same colour as the blue band running along the bottom.
If you look at the SWR livery it contrasts at passenger height. The blue band is very low down almost at solebar level on the body side whilst the contrast is high up from door to body (ie in eyeline).

Status
Not open for further replies.