• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A roundtable for strategic railway planning devolved of DfT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squizzler

Established Member
Legislation passed in 2016 allowed the creation of Sub-national Regional Transport Bodies - STBs - which are groupings of the local authorities of their designated areas in the manner of Transport for London which already existed. Transport for the North has been established since 2018 and others like Englands Economic Heartland and Midlands Connect are in the process of being formed. TfN is driving forward Northern Powerhouse Rail, EEH is proposing various east-west connections including the already committed East-West-Rail and MC wants the chords joining the old Camp Hill line to Moor St.

As there seem to be only seven STB's currently in England (albeit with more on the way), as well as devolved bodies for Wales and Scotland. This seems a manageable number to have sit round a table and hammer out network improvement plans for the nation as a whole. Is this an idea that has already been proposed? I am always in favour of bottom-up planning where possible and this structure logically melds local authorities' power into the STBs and in turn the STB's power into the proposed 'roundtable'.

I also feel my proposal compares favourably to the long defunct (but never wholly replaced) SRA, which was a body that was answerable only through central government. The roundtable would be independent of Westminster government, and I imagine that would make long term planning much more effective, since they would be somewhat insulated from the changes of policy that a new Westminster government would impose on their own departments.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I'd be wary of such an overarching body unless every part rail network was represented by one of its constituent bodies; as I understand it this wouldn't currently be the case in the system proposed.

squizzler

Established Member
I agree that the areas not with an STB need representation. Having proposed this 'roundtable' as an alternative to the palsied hand of the DfT, these areas ironically might be best championed by a 'Man from the Ministry'. Also a member of the Railfreight association ought to be present.

Incidentally, some of the STBs are better than others. I have just had a look at the travel plan for the Western Gateway, and unlike TfN and EEH which are boldly looking at new rail corridors, that outfit has document that looks like it came out the early 1990's with nothing but a list of highways projects to show for itself. Very Poor. There is even a schematic map of connectivity of Cheltenham and Gloucester on page 33 which leaves off the mainline to Cardiff! It is a draft for consultation and we apparently have until 31 July to respond.

Last edited:

Nick Ashwell

A roundtable of regions could lead to a different, worse kind of politicisation. It would lead to regions ganging up to vote for projects in each others regions, leading to backroom dealings to get this through.

Devolving regions and centrally doing long distance stuff could be the answer, but I'm not the right one to comment on that

squizzler

Established Member
I can see your concern regarding inter-regional bickering.

Even with DfT ultimately in charge, a roundtable could certainly come up with a national plan of sorts, free of the responsibilities of actual delivery.

The Subnational Transport Bodies have already IMO been a roaring success. Northern Powerhouse and Midlands Engine are household words in their localities and other regions are getting in on the act. The national discourse on railways features increasingly bold expansion plans and we are on course for the biggest new build programme since the "railway mania" of the 19th century.

Status
Not open for further replies.