• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Sheffield comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlevel42

Announcement:
"Platform 2c for the late running 08.38 EMR from Liverpool to Norwich."Class 158.
Platform staff:
"Passenger will find platform 2c if they walk along 2b, then 2a.""
Announcement:
"Passenger for Norwich, use the front two coaches, as the rear two coaches will be detached at Nottingham".
Customer:
"Which are the front two coaches, the ones at the front on arrival or the ones at the front on departure?"
Platform staff:
"There are only two coaches."

Train arrives at 2c (which has platforms on each side) and the doors open on the right(not used?)side of the train.
Passengers disembarking collide with passengers running around to get on.
Doors close on the right (wrong side) close.
Passengers confused and unhappy now that all the doors are closed.

Last scene:
Embarking and disembarking passengers are now all going in the same direction.

Question:
Was this a failed attempt (took at least 10 minutes) to speed up the process of getting on and off by getting the passengers to get off on one side and get on the other side?
I was waiting for the Northern Hope Valley stopper on the similar platformed (6c) 7.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lord rathmore

Announcement:
"Platform 2c for the late running 08.38 EMR from Liverpool to Norwich."Class 158.
Platform staff:
"Passenger will find platform 2c if they walk along 2b, then 2a.""
Announcement:
"Passenger for Norwich, use the front two coaches, as the rear two coaches will be detached at Nottingham".
Customer:
"Which are the front two coaches, the ones at the front on arrival or the ones at the front on departure?"
Platform staff:
"There are only two coaches."

Train arrives at 2c (which has platforms on each side) and the doors open on the right(not used?)side of the train.
Passengers disembarking collide with passengers running around to get on.
Doors close on the right (wrong side) close.
Passengers confused and unhappy now that all the doors are closed.

Last scene:
Embarking and disembarking passengers are now all going in the same direction.

Question:
Was this a failed attempt (took at least 10 minutes) to speed up the process of getting on and off by getting the passengers to get off on one side and get on the other side?
I was waiting for the Northern Hope Valley stopper on the similar platformed (6c) 7.
Wonderful. I've used Sheffield Station a couple of times; for sure their platform signage is confusing, but the Keystone Cops comedy you observed takes the prize.

talltim

Established Member
The 17:43 Norwich was cancelled in Manchester. However on the board at Sheffield it said the front three carriages were for Norwich. Makes me wonder what the train was formed of.

Bevan Price

Established Member
The 17:43 Norwich was cancelled in Manchester. However on the board at Sheffield it said the front three carriages were for Norwich. Makes me wonder what the train was formed of.
153 added to a 158 or 156 ??

lord rathmore

I've seen several 153 + 158 consists on the approach to/from Sheffield station.
Oh deep joy, a 153 on the 4 1/2 hours journey Norwich to Manchester. I'll continue to use the via-London option that's £30 cheaper. (I've endured clapped-out 153's for years in East Anglia; the 755s are a breath of fresh air).

talltim

Established Member
153 + 158.
I’ve seen plenty of 156/158+153+153 and sometimes 156/158+153. However the front three coaches going to Norwich would imply that they were just leaving 1 153 at Nottingham to go to Worksop, which is unusual

Status
Not open for further replies.