• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A trip on the 'Gainsborough Line' (Marks Tey - Sudbury Suffolk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eshonbel

Would anyone recommend going on the Gainsborough line to Sudbury? Is there stuff to do around Sudbury?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've changed the thread title, as until I saw you mention Sudbury (which, by itself, I'd assume was Northwest London!) I thought you were referring to one of the railway lines through the place called Gainsborough!

Established Member
yorkie:2090919 said:
I've changed the thread title, as until I saw you mention Sudbury (which, by itself, I'd assume was Northwest London!) I thought you were referring to one of the railway lines through the place called Gainsborough!
I was wondering how far Sudbury was from Brigg and Kirton Lindsey!

Z12XE

Or how far it is from Brighton etc...

A trip on the 'Gainsborough Line' (Marks Tey - Sudbury Sussex)

Established Member

Best you change it again then ;) The line is named after Thomas Gainsborough, renowned portrait and landscape painter who was born in Sudbury, Suffolk.

East Anglia Railway Museum at Chappel is meant to be nice when its open!

Open today, it is the Winter Ale Festival. Interesting collection of railway stuff there too.

Unfortunately rail replacement buses at weekends until end of March due to engineering work.

Said it before, the viaduct at Chappel is most impressive, get off there and have a wander underneath, and call in The Swan. Sudbury is pleasant enough but only worth a couple of hours.

Last edited:

Established Member
It is a well kept secret to keep the riff-raff out ;)

Trouble is it is very popular and doesn't need much advertising. The East Anglian Railway Museum website is the best place to look, easier to find there than on the CAMRA website.

Eshonbel

Oops, I meant Sudbury Suffolk! I don't know how that got in there, I'm sure it was Suffolk when I posted it...

Eshonbel

So what should I do? Hopefully I'm planning to go with my family on Easter break during the week (trains will be running). I'd like to go on the full journey, but I've heard so much about Bures and Chappel. Considering there are few trains per hour, where should I go that offers the most stuff to do? (including lunch/dinner)

Z12XE

Sudbury - Medium sized market town, various shops, resturants/cafe, walks etc
Bures - two small villages, couple of pubs and riverside walks
Chappel & WC - Rail Museum, Pub

I'd say goto Chappel do the Museum (just be careful that Good Friday to Easter Monday is a Thomas theme day so avoid that) then a few hours later go onto Sudbury for lunch and the town, then head back to the mainline.

Last edited:

Established Member
If your family includes young kids I'd do the Thomas stuff too. As it is a compact site there is always something happening, but it is popular. Thomas events take some setting up and taking down, so best to avoid the days either side of that if you want to wander around the yard.

Haven't had lunch in The Swan at Chappel for a while so worth googling that for reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.