• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A363 Bridge replacement Bradford-on-Avon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Steelwork is now being prepared on the abutments ahead of concrete pours

Attachments

• 20230620_163549.jpg
    20230620_163549.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
  • 20230620_163616.jpg
    20230620_163616.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 88

Snow1964

Established Member
Concrete is being poured today for the abutments

20230705_120912.jpg

Update (per local residents letter)

We encountered unforeseen difficulties this week which meant that there was a delay in site work being completed ready for the crane to be delivered to site which was due to take place last weekend and this weekend.

It was hoped that we would be in a position to start the crane work this weekend. However, we will now be completing work using a crane over the weekends of Saturday 16 and Saturday 22 July.

Installing girders from 10pm on Saturday 16 July to 6am on Sunday 17 July

Installing a safe access platform to one side of the beams from 10pm on Sunday 17 July to 6am on Monday 18 July

Installing girders from 10pm on Saturday 22 July to 6am on Sunday 23 July

Installing a safe access platform to one side of the beams from 10pm on Sunday 23 July to 6am on Monday 24 July

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Update 15th July

Past the site about 4 times this week and no one was working, which seems odd as they delayed crane until tonight.

Appears that concrete formwork still not installed and without concrete abutments being finished, I suspect girders can't be installed. Couple of photos attached from today showing not much had changed.

No doubt Network Rail will soon send another update to local residents with their favourite phrase 'due to unforseen complications....further delayed' which is becoming Network Rail standard speak for nobody bothered to turn up

20230715_082824.jpg20230715_083610.jpg

Annetts key

Established Member
Why do you think there is a corruption of the name Network Rail?
That’s not the first, and it won’t be the last project/works/job where the completion is repeatedly delayed due to errors…

Snow1964

Established Member
That’s not the first, and it won’t be the last project/works/job where the completion is repeatedly delayed due to errors…
I never said anything about corruption, that is your interpretation.

But why ask locals to keep road clear, prepare for noise, then not update them when they know it's been changed. Feels more like don't care about their neighbours, or care about further inconvenience to local community.

I still have the original handout, given out at the Network Rail presentation. The crane installation of the new girders was expected early December. Not clear how a few errors can lead to 7-8 months delay on a job expected to take 8 months.

Annetts key

Established Member
I never said anything about corruption, that is your interpretation.
I mean that some use “Notwork Fail”.

I don’t know why it takes so long for railway bridges to take so long to do now. I once chatted to a former BR employee who worked for their civil engineering department. He told me that for straightforward replacements, they would take a couple of months doing preparation works. Typically close the road for four to fourteen days, close the railway for three days (weekend), and get the new bridge lifted in over one or two days. However, that was for straightforward metal bridges with reasonable access. Then take a further few weeks doing the final work.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member

And there has clearly been an error, wrong quality of concrete !

Latest to local residents, got to remove new concrete

Hello,

We're getting in touch to provide an update on the renewal of the bridge near you.

Following the results of the quality control checks undertaken, we have a quality issue with the concrete that was recently been poured in readiness for the new bridge deck. Due to safety reasons, we will need to remove the concrete and steelwork and replace it with new ones.

This will mean that the crane lifts will no longer take place as planned on the 22 and 29 of July. We're reviewing the programme and will let you know once the revised dates have been finalised.

This will also mean that we no longer require a full road closure that was due to be in place tomorrow and on the 27 July.

Work to break out the concrete and steel will take place this weekend, both during the day and night on Saturday and also during the day on Sunday. The equipment required to remove the concrete and steelwork will be noisy and we want to say sorry for any disturbance this may cause you.

Thank you for your understanding and support while we are working near you.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Opps, that’s a bit of a big error! Removal of reinforced concrete will definitely be noisy.
I think it’s quite rare for a concrete mix on a project like this to fail, (unless they’re very good at covering up previous instances). AIUI there’s a few samples of the mix taken from each delivery truck, and put in standard size moulds and allowed to cure before being tested on a machine?

Annetts key

Established Member
I think it’s quite rare for a concrete mix on a project like this to fail, (unless they’re very good at covering up previous instances). AIUI there’s a few samples of the mix taken from each delivery truck, and put in standard size moulds and allowed to cure before being tested on a machine?
I don’t know how they test the quality at the time of construction. But yes, quality checks are supposed to take place before the batch of concrete is used. Also, there is a maximum time between each delivery, or else the whole pour will be considered a failure.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I don’t know how they test the quality at the time of construction.

Typically there is a concrete testing engineer on site who will specifically test what is poured, and conduct checks during vibration, curing etc. I’ve had them on my sites, even for pouring OLE bases.

DelW

Established Member
Workability is normally tested on site, on a sample from each truckload before it's placed (a slump test). That provides an immediate result but doesn't necessarily correlate with compressive strength. That's tested by crushing 150mm cubes made on site but cured in a laboratory. Tests are normally done at 7 and 28 days, with the 28 day result being the critical one. In cases where early results are needed, extra cubes may be made and tested at 3 days to give an early indication. If there's a suspicion of an error, the structure itself can be tested using an impact test (Schmidt hammer).

In 15 years of building concrete bridges I only recall once having to demolish part of a structure (a footbridge column) because the wrong concrete had been supplied and not spotted at the time of pouring. There was no doubt that it was wrong, the demolition was quite easy and left the reinforcement cage undamaged (it was reused).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Workability is normally tested on site, on a sample from each truckload before it's placed (a slump test). That provides an immediate result but doesn't necessarily correlate with compressive strength. That's tested by crushing 150mm cubes made on site but cured in a laboratory. Tests are normally done at 7 and 28 days, with the 28 day result being the critical one. In cases where early results are needed, extra cubes may be made and tested at 3 days to give an early indication. If there's a suspicion of an error, the structure itself can be tested using an impact test (Schmidt hammer).

In 15 years of building concrete bridges I only recall once having to demolish part of a structure (a footbridge column) because the wrong concrete had been supplied and not spotted at the time of pouring. There was no doubt that it was wrong, the demolition was quite easy and left the reinforcement cage undamaged (it was reused).
Thanks for the extra detail. That bit I’ve bolded was what someone explained to me quite a while ago, possibly 20 years back, it’s probably the only bit I remembered…

DelW

Established Member
Thanks for the extra detail. That bit I’ve bolded was what someone explained to me quite a while ago, possibly 20 years back, it’s probably the only bit I remembered…
One of my early jobs as a site engineer was helping out in the on-site testing lab (for soils and site-batched concrete). I made and crushed plenty of cubes in 18 months! On later jobs concrete was normally supplied by ready-mix companies who also did the testing.

Ediswan

Established Member
It is not just poured on site concrete that can give problems. On a local road project (A602), some prefabricated concrete bridge beams were installed, then a concrete deck started over them, before it was determined that the beams were defective and the whole lot would need to be replaced.

Snow1964

Established Member
Couple of new pictures, some of the recent concrete abutments have started to be taken down because of poor quality concrete. There are also large bags filled with the broken new concrete

20230721_173457.jpg20230721_173544.jpg

zwk500

Veteran Member
This is turning into a bit of a saga - and (to put it mildly) not a flattering one for Network Rail...
Is the work not being done by a contractor? I imagine there will be a fairly frosty meeting between NR and the management at the contractor, because NR will be even less impressed than the local residents.

Snow1964

Established Member
Sunday 23rd July work has continued with demolition of new (wrong quality) concrete, which has been loaded into a rollalong skip, and all the rebar heaped into piles, as the rebar all looks mangled I assume it will all need replacing before the concrete formers can go back.

20230723_175835.jpg20230723_175939.jpg20230723_175158.jpg

WesternBiker

Sunday 23rd July work has continued with demolition of new (wrong quality) concrete, which has been loaded into a rollalong skip, and all the rebar heaped into piles, as the rebar all looks mangled I assume it will all need replacing before the concrete formers can go back.

View attachment 139570View attachment 139571View attachment 139572
Heavens. That’s a lot of rework - though better finding out now than even later. I’m guessing someone’s head is going to roll…

DelW

Established Member
That steel will definitely be heading for scrap! Clean broken concrete can usually be crushed for re-use, possibly as aggregate but more likely in temporary roads or hardstanding.

It's most likely to have been a mistake at the batching plant, e.g. wrong mix design or a fault in the plant, or a load being sent to the wrong customer. There are systems intended to pick up errors before they get this far, but sometimes something sneaks through. Ultimately this is a case of the quality control system working, albeit at an undesirably late stage.

Snow1964

Established Member
Is the work not being done by a contractor? I imagine there will be a fairly frosty meeting between NR and the management at the contractor, because NR will be even less impressed than the local residents.
Contractor is Octavius (which used to be called Osborne)

Although demolition has been done by Pennys Group (formerly R M Penny), of Ston Easton (near Midsomer Norton), which have presumably been sub-contracted.

In the 9 months since I have been intermittently looking, can't remember ever seeing any plant or equipment with name Octavius on it. No evidence on Octavius name on any of the hi-vis on people on site (although can't rule out it being there in microscopic writing that can't be seen from behind a fence).

Seems to be a large circular sawblade sticking out the new concrete

20230724_195452.jpg

Latest update to local residents (27th July)

Hello,

We wrote to you last week to give the disappointing news that we had encountered an issue with a concrete pour that had taken place.

Following the work to remove concrete and steel last weekend. We're now in a place to provide a further update on the programme.

With the setback, the road at the bridge will now be closed until the end of November. We know this must be frustrating to hear and we're sorry for any inconvenience this will cause.

Last weekend, work progressed very well. To help us further, We'll be on site this weekend to complete further work that is needed for the crane lifts. These are now planned for the weekends of 12 - 14 and 19 - 21 August.

Thank you for your understanding and support while we are working near you.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Some new photos 2nd August

All the wrong concrete has been removed, site activity has become 7 days a week, and new rebar and shuttering is in place to allow new concrete to be poured.
20230802_193421.jpg20230802_193445.jpg20230802_194157.jpg20230802_194223.jpg20230802_194325.jpg

Snow1964

Established Member
Let’s hope they get the correct concrete this time ;)

Passed by yesterday, and looked ready for a concrete pour (although that is glimpse from outside the fence).

Local notices have crane back from Saturday 12th for new bridge beam installation (so will have to get concrete poured for beams to sit on).

From shape of rebar, there will be a second concrete pour to make concrete retaining walls between bridge beams and backfill for road.

Crane is apparently there for 9 days doing further work following weekend, I don't know if that includes removing the crash deck.

< Auto-merge >

10th August 2023

Network Rail has issued update

Had quick look Thursday afternoon, no one on site, no concrete poured. Not sure how they will instal the bridge beams Saturday if abutments for them not built.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Some new photos, Monday 14th August.

Concreting was done (for second time) last Friday. The wood shuttering has now been removed one side and three plates for deck beams now visible. Looks like preparing to cast the wall. Presumably will do other abutment tomorrow or Wednesday.

Network Rail issued local update end of last week that crane will start week later (Saturday evening 19th) and stay 4-5 days.

20230814_192625.jpg20230814_192640.jpg

Network Rail will temporarily extend the length of road that is closed temporarily whilst new bridge is installed from Saturday evening and subsequent few nights.

During the upcoming work between Saturday night and Wednesday morning, we must have clear access for crane operations which are crucial to the installation of the new bridge. The placement of the new steel structure and pre-cast deck elements will take place during these shifts.
We appreciate your ongoing patience for any disruption caused here and are grateful for your cooperation to allow us to temporarily suspend the drop-off areas while we operate cranes in the area.

4 new photos evening of Saturday 19th Aug
The wooden formers have been removed where girders need to go, but not yet cleared other side of headwall

Attachments

• 20230819_183243.jpg
    20230819_183243.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230819_183306.jpg
    20230819_183306.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230819_183355.jpg
    20230819_183355.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230819_183235.jpg
    20230819_183235.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230820_053651.jpg
    20230820_053651.jpg
    1,011 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230820_053744.jpg
    20230820_053744.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

WesternBiker

Some new photos, Monday 14th August.

Concreting was done (for second time) last Friday. The wood shuttering has now been removed one side and three plates for deck beams now visible. Looks like preparing to cast the wall. Presumably will do other abutment tomorrow or Wednesday.

Network Rail issued local update end of last week that crane will start week later (Saturday evening 19th) and stay 4-5 days.

View attachment 140984View attachment 140985

Network Rail will temporarily extend the length of road that is closed temporarily whilst new bridge is installed from Saturday evening and subsequent few nights.

4 new photos evening of Saturday 19th Aug
The wooden formers have been removed where girders need to go, but not yet cleared other side of headway

Sunday 20th August

New bridge beams going in

View attachment 141232View attachment 141233
From the concrete base, it looks like only three beams are going in. Is that correct??

Snow1964

Established Member
3 main beams, 2 went in this morning, presumably other one will be tonight

Seem to have opted more for a light grey colour rather than Cotswold stone colour to match the surroundings

20230820_053651.jpg20230820_053744.jpg20230820_084618.jpg20230820_084726.jpg20230820_065900.jpg

Will probably automerge

Update Monday 21 August 2023
4 new photos, 2 showing 3rd main beam now in, 2 with large stack of deck panels
20230821_153928.jpg20230821_153841.jpg20230821_154044.jpg20230821_154105.jpg

Last edited: