• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AA Batteries - Best for Long Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

route:oxford

Established Member
The AA battery in my digital alarm clock has finally expired - after 25 years continuous performance.

Any suggestions as to the best brand of battery as a replacement?

It does rather scare me that if the new one lasts as long, I'll be in my 60s before it needs replacing again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Energizer I would reconmend as they have always worked well for me compared to some other brands

ilkestonian

The AA battery in my digital alarm clock has finally expired - after 25 years continuous performance.

Any suggestions as to the best brand of battery as a replacement?

It does rather scare me that if the new one lasts as long, I'll be in my 60s before it needs replacing again.

I'd suggest the same as last time, but I guess they don't make 'em any more :(

Schnellzug

Established Member
Oh, i thought this was a question about anti-aircraft defences. :oops: I was going to say, I'd recommend the 88mm Flak 36 for long range, and a good Bofors for close-up work.

Mike C

I read a Which? report a few months ago that carried out tests on a bunch of rechargable AA batteries and the winner in their tests were Jessops 2800mAh. But I don't think they managed 25 years from them!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have always found Duracell to be good batteries for most uses that I have found the need of a good reliable battery for. Places like B & Q always seem to have vast stocks of all normal Duracell standard types, with many "discount" packs always available.

tony_mac

Established Member
For a very low power device, it doesn't really matter - just don't use a rechargeable.

A lithium battery should last longer than an alkaline, but costs a lot more.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Masses of experience with various battery types with countless kids' toys lead me to unhestiatingly say: Duracell.

jon0844

Veteran Member
http://denishennessy.com/2012/04/08/measuring-battery-capacity-with-an-arduino/

I do think that if you've managed 25 years, it's possibly not worth worrying too much about the best battery! I'd normally go with Duracell, and if you buy them from Amazon you can get the 'trade' ones which I've had no problems with.

I suppose there's a risk of getting fakes, as I'm sure eBay is full of, which may have terrible capacity - but if you look at the ratings you should be okay and will save on buying them on the high street.

deltic1989

Established Member
Oh, i thought this was a question about anti-aircraft defences. :oops: I was going to say, I'd recommend the 88mm Flak 36 for long range, and a good Bofors for close-up work.

Or if you wantedto really push the boat out, a Roland or Rapier Surface to air missile.

Back OT: I've had a pair of duracells in my xbox 360 controller for about 6 weeks now and they still don't need replacing.
and I have duracells in my alarm clock and have for about 3 years (the same set) and they dont show any signs of failing yet.

LE Greys

Established Member
I'd recommend Energizer, someone who ought to know told me that Duracell run their batteries at 90% of the quoted voltage to extend their life.

LE Greys

Established Member
Surely that's pretty easy to test to see if that's true?

Depends on what sort of equipment you have. My somewhat primitive battery tester sometimes records brand-new Duracells as "strong" rather than "high". Thing is, I'm not quite sure what it tests, but it does have three lights.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm sure any multi meter would show if they were providing 1.5V or less.

route:oxford

Established Member
I'd suggest the same as last time, but I guess they don't make 'em any more :(

The retailer, British Home Stores, is still around.

Whether they still sell "own brand" batteries that are still made to the same standard as they did in the mid 80s is a different matter.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've never had any issues with Duracell - I also use them in my Xbox controller (which tends to eat through batteries very quickly) and get weeks of continuous performance, unlike shop own brands or cheaper brands. I believe they're also powering my alarm clock, which I've had for about 3 years without having to change the batteries.

michael769

Established Member
I would not recommend using a lithium battery in a low drain device like a clock as the battery is likely to go "off" long before it is discharged and you are unlikely to recoup the price difference.

For high drain devices, or outdoors (unlike other types of battery their power output does not drop when exposed to temps below 5c - they are good down to -40c) they are excellent albeit they require a higer up-front cost.

Butts

Veteran Member
Whatever you do don't use the £1 special packs from Poundland etc.

You make get a load but they last about 5 mins each :lol:

radamfi

Established Member
Whatever you do don't use the £1 special packs from Poundland etc.

You make get a load but they last about 5 mins each :lol:

Poundland sell 2 Duracell batteries for £1:

http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-range/a-z/2-duracell-aa-batteries/

You should replace batteries at the expiry date to avoid the possibility of leaks. So it doesn't really matter whether you get Duracell or cheaper makes from Poundland, e.g. Kodak, as it wouldn't run out by the expiry date in such a low power device.

I've been using Kodak batteries from Poundland in my remote controls for some time and haven't had any premature running out of my battery or any leakage.

Status
Not open for further replies.