• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

dk1

Veteran Member
Are all the Norwich drivers passed out on 755s now? And does that only pass you for 755/4s or does it include 3-car and 745?
Almost all are passed out & yes it covers all Stadlers in the fleet. Cambridge & Ipswich are now being ramped up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
After many trips, I think there are only two things required to make these pretty much perfect from a passenger POV.
1. Fix those stupid taps. It's impossible to wash your hands properly.
2. Turn the volume down on the rather piercing door alarms.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
After many trips, I think there are only two things required to make these pretty much perfect from a passenger POV.
1. Fix those stupid taps. It's impossible to wash your hands properly.
2. Turn the volume down on the rather piercing door alarms.

Out of interest, do you find the "little boxes" window film annoying, or is it just me?

Other than that I didn't really, as noted in my little review above, find an awful lot to genuinely complain about, though as a self confessed Stadler fan this is no surprise. Certainly far better kit than the CAF DMUs for Northern, and the FISA LEAN seat is almost identical to my beloved Grammers. Pity Northern didn't go Stadler instead, but I think the Welsh will love theirs (again, pity the whole fleet aren't Stadler rather than quite a lot of CAF).

And then there's the low floor thing. That should be mandatory on all future rolling stock - it's not like all the manufacturers don't do it on the mainland. It'll be just as much of a step change (!) as low floor buses were in the 90s - why bother arranging assistance when you can just remove the need for it?

I didn't find the door bleeps that annoying myself, FWIW.

trebor79

Established Member
I'd prefer that the window film wasn't there, but I tend not to find it too intrusive. Mind, that might be because I'm more often tapping away at my laptop than enjoying the passing scenery these days.

The low floor and automatic bridge is great. One of a number of good features.

Yeah, fix the taps and turn the bleepers down and they'd get 10 out of 10 from me.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wonder where that window film idea came from and what it's for? I've not seen it on any other FLIRT - or indeed any other rolling stock at all anywhere, it seems to be unique to these units.

trebor79

Established Member
I wonder where that window film idea came from and what it's for? I've not seen it on any other FLIRT - or indeed any other rolling stock at all anywhere, it seems to be unique to these units.
I read upthread that it's a thin foil to reduce solar heating of the cabin. The square pattern is to stop it blocking mobile phone signals.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I read upthread that it's a thin foil to reduce solar heating of the cabin. The square pattern is to stop it blocking mobile phone signals.

Ah, interesting. Probably for your average user that's more important than the quality of the view out, then, particularly given that their home is in the grossly tedious flatlands of East Anglia! :D

Railperf

Established Member
Would be great if they could refresh the voyager fleet with this type of glass!! And Siemens Class 374's are terrible for mobile phone signal too

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Journey check was showing short forms on the Sheringham line on Wednesday,2 cars instead of 4 which indicates they should have been allocated.

They've reduced the number of carriages booked/allocated for many services in the last few days, across loco hauled, DMU and EMU services and then sometimes 'long form' services to try and reduce the number of short forms showing on JourneyCheck.

They've done this whilst keeping a straight face when they say they have dealt with the issues with short forms and they are no longer ocucuring and bleeting to everyone that they are not hiding short forms on twitter and all of them are listed.

It's a cynical ploy of a company who is more interested in protecting their PR and their image than actually being upfront about the issues, since that might involve taking some of the blame rather than pretending that everything is rosy.

Sheringham is supposed to be the next route to get the 755s, 1st half of November is the last I have heard.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
Journey check was showing short forms on the Sheringham line on Wednesday,2 cars instead of 4 which indicates they should have been allocated.

Ignoring the cynisim above me the diagrams have started to appear for 755s to Sheringham but they are still not cleared for passenger use up there, hence them showing up as shortforms.

dk1

Veteran Member
Been like that several weeks now. Such a relief when you realise it's not a 153 substituted for a 156.

robert west

a 755 is at Liverpool street to form 5q92 1311 liv street-Norwich cp due witham at 1356
will try to get number

170TurboFan

They've reduced the number of carriages booked/allocated for many services in the last few days, across loco hauled, DMU and EMU services and then sometimes 'long form' services to try and reduce the number of short forms showing on JourneyCheck.

They've done this whilst keeping a straight face when they say they have dealt with the issues with short forms and they are no longer ocucuring and bleeting to everyone that they are not hiding short forms on twitter and all of them are listed.

It's a cynical ploy of a company who is more interested in protecting their PR and their image than actually being upfront about the issues, since that might involve taking some of the blame rather than pretending that everything is rosy.

Sheringham is supposed to be the next route to get the 755s, 1st half of November is the last I have heard.
Hopefully is the 1st half of November then as I am going back to Norfolk from York on the 16th.

Railperf

Established Member
Almost all are passed out & yes it covers all Stadlers in the fleet. Cambridge & Ipswich are now being ramped up.
Can they seriously ramp up training with so few units accepted into service and available for driver training?

Railperf

Established Member
Can they seriously ramp up training with so few units accepted into service and available for driver training?
How long does the conversion course take..or more importantly..how long should it take if more trains were available?

dk1

Veteran Member
Each driver needs around 5-6 days.

Looks like ASDO will be operative from next week.