• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ashkeba

Established Member
Oh, it appears i got the bike and wheelchair bands mixed up :oops:
That is easily done because the UK uses blue route signs for both cycle routes and motorways, while green signs are used for some of the worst roads to cycle on. France and Spain definitely use green for cycle routes, but sometimes other colours. The Netherlands sometimes uses green (but more often red which is used if mopeds are allowed). Belgium is a complete muddle, as usual. Germany uses red which may be based on misunderstanding the Netherlands signs. I have seen others but forget them.

Anyway, Greater Anglia have got this one correct: blue badge for wheelchair, green for bikes. This should become a national standard along with gold for first and red for food.

And the little FLIRT in your footer has neither wheelchair nor bike bands!

AC47461

I wonder if, rather than simply not measuring the platform (which seems to me almost as likely as it is unlikely given some GA decisions), someone looked at the distance between the passenger doors in the end coaches and decided it was ok because they would fit in the platform (I have no idea if they actually would, I'm just guessing), with the cabs overhanging either end of the platform, without realising the Colchester end of the train would foul the foot crossing/signalling or both? (or even appreciating it was an issue if they did notice).

Tim Regester

I wonder if, rather than simply not measuring the platform (which seems to me almost as likely as it is unlikely given some GA decisions), someone looked at the distance between the passenger doors in the end coaches and decided it was ok because they would fit in the platform (I have no idea if they actually would, I'm just guessing), with the cabs overhanging either end of the platform, without realising the Colchester end of the train would foul the foot crossing/signalling or both? (or even appreciating it was an issue if they did notice).
That is what I thought when I paced it out, but the train stops much further back from the crossing than I envisaged which makes the overhang at the other end. I thought it was marginal. But I have no knowledge of the safety standards for pedestrian crossings and whether signalling requirements came into play.

Paulie558

Currently in Switzerland,riding Swiss trains on Swiss rails.Main lines,panoramic trains,rack railways ,you name it.Everything runs like clockwork,the rides are smooth on main lines ,they are a joy to behold.
Cant wait to get back to Greater Anglia and have a cancelled train because someone sneezed.

On Moderation
That is easily done because the UK uses blue route signs for both cycle routes and motorways, while green signs are used for some of the worst roads to cycle on. France and Spain definitely use green for cycle routes, but sometimes other colours. The Netherlands sometimes uses green (but more often red which is used if mopeds are allowed). Belgium is a complete muddle, as usual. Germany uses red which may be based on misunderstanding the Netherlands signs. I have seen others but forget them.

Anyway, Greater Anglia have got this one correct: blue badge for wheelchair, green for bikes. This should become a national standard along with gold for first and red for food.

And the little FLIRT in your footer has neither wheelchair nor bike bands!
It should be yellow for first. Just as it has been for decades.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this thread is a traction & rolling stock thread about class 755 trains

Please use other forum sections to discuss other subjects, e.g. Infrastructure & Stations to discuss matters changes to infrastructure and stations that are actually happening, and Speculative Ideas for any suggestions / ideas or other speculative matters for things that may or may not happen.

If you see something start to go a bit off topic and wish to reply to it, please do reply in the relevant forum section, and feel free to post a link to the new thread from here.

eastdyke

Established Member
Just caught a glimpse of Michael Portillo travelling on a 755 during tonight's episode of Great British Railway Journeys. As usual the continuity is rather borked but it was while he was (allegedly) travelling between Yarmouth and Norwich. There may be other clips that I missed!
Great British Railway Journeys
Thursday 23rd Jan 6:30pm
Season: 11
Episode 14 of 15
Saxmundham to Norwich
Michael Portillo's journey through eastern England takes him to the Snape Maltings music and arts venue, the Norfolk seaside resort of Great Yarmouth and the city of Norwich.

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Does the load indicator pictogram work on any of the FLIRTS? Been on full and standing trains like sardines and all show seats available.

Or is this GA's great idea to show that the trains are eating the passengers better than they actually are?

trebor79

Established Member
I think I have seen it display something less than all seats available on one occassion. Couldn't swear to it though.
I often wonder how it actually works - there's no visible means of detecting seat occupation.

WroxhamTroll

I think I have seen it display something less than all seats available on one occassion. Couldn't swear to it though.
I often wonder how it actually works - there's no visible means of detecting seat occupation.
I believe they use the CCTV cameras

hooverboy

On Moderation
probably just pressure sensors mounted between the bogie and suspension.

known seating capacity of vehicle multiplied by average mass of human ie 70kg.(would be 80kg male,60kg female and about 50/50 split between sexes.)

I wouldn't expect anything as intricate as a "bum" sensor on each seat.

PG

Established Member
A picture of an "example" platform screen from that website - 6 carriages on an interesting route... :lol:
image-asset.png

Image shows destination Euston, calling at Kings Cross, Denham Golf Club and Denma[rk Hill]

brick60000

Sorry if this has been asked earlier in the thread and I’ve missed it. I was under the impression that the doors on 755s were to always be driver operated unless there was a failure of the CCTV or such? However this week I’ve noticed a mixture of driver and guard operation - what are the factors determining which is in use at any given time?
Overall though, absolutely fab trains that are a joy to travel on!

dk1

Veteran Member
Sorry if this has been asked earlier in the thread and I’ve missed it. I was under the impression that the doors on 755s were to always be driver operated unless there was a failure of the CCTV or such? However this week I’ve noticed a mixture of driver and guard operation - what are the factors determining which is in use at any given time?
Overall though, absolutely fab trains that are a joy to travel on!
Only takes one slight camera issue & guard takes over, add to that training & possibly answers your question. Don't confuse with 745s where guard ALWAYS closes them everywhere except Liverpool St UFN.

Mikey C

Established Member
Just caught a glimpse of Michael Portillo travelling on a 755 during tonight's episode of Great British Railway Journeys. As usual the continuity is rather borked but it was while he was (allegedly) travelling between Yarmouth and Norwich. There may be other clips that I missed!

Yes, a number of aerial shots of 755s plus a couple of interior ones in the last few days. He didn't seem aware he was on new trains though!

eastdyke

Established Member
Yes, a number of aerial shots of 755s plus a couple of interior ones in the last few days. He didn't seem aware he was on new trains though!
Yes, GA missed a publicity trick there (unlike them LOL). In the episode last night he was seen getting off a 755 at Attleborough.
He seemed very aware at Peterborough that he was getting on an 'Azuma' and that they were newly all over the 'East' Coast.
Enjoyed the visit to The Dog in a Doublet on the North Bank (the sluice not the Pub) haven't been in there (the Pub not the sluice) for nearly 50 years!

Abbo

Saw a very grubby 4 car 755 in Sheringham this lunchtime.

Is there a problem with the washer at Crown Point and/or the washing of these units.

Not very good PR for new trains.

Shunter_69

I heard from a Norwich driver that the fact the power pack is wider than the coaches is causing some issues. Crown Point being full can’t help either.

gingerheid

Established Member
I noticed that the bottom part of the units has been getting dirtier and dirtier ever since they were introduced. That might not be a desirable part of a train to put white or grey on?

dk1

Veteran Member
I noticed that the bottom part of the units has been getting dirtier and dirtier ever since they were introduced. That might not be a desirable part of a train to put white or grey on?
The mk3s where grey at the bottom. The Stadlers taper in quite a bit at the very bottom so do not properly come in contact with the washer brushes.

eastdyke

Established Member
GA JourneyCheck currently shows 8 cancellations on the services that touch Ipswich :frown:
Reasons: 'train fault' and 'earlier broken down train'.
A(nother) spare unit outside of the Norwich blockade might have been helpful?