• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastdyke

Established Member
Was the frost protection on the toilet water tanks switched in? or is it auto if the temperature drops? (which it probably did last night) That would definitely need a 'shore' supply if off the wires.

trebor79

Established Member
Was the frost protection on the toilet water tanks switched in? or is it auto if the temperature drops? (which it probably did last night) That would definitely need a 'shore' supply if off the wires.
There is no heating on the toilet water tanks. Frost protection is for the water to get dumped.
Overheard GA staff talking about this a few weeks ago - sometimes results in sets coming off depot with no water in the tanks.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
at Cambridge earlier, saw a /3 headed to the airport (on diesel??) and a /4 headed to Bury St Edmunds (???)

dk1

Veteran Member
at Cambridge earlier, saw a /3 headed to the airport (on diesel??) and a /4 headed to Bury St Edmunds (???)
I'm confused as to what you mean. Both 3 & 4 car units can work either route. Some have pantographs isolated.

Nighthawke

If the ??? means you're confused by Bury rather than Ipswich, bus replacement has been running BSE-IPS and vice-versa according to RRT. Continued weekend engineering works I think.

Bernina

Something interesting from "Stadler provisional key figures for 2019. Issued January 31, 2020 in Bussnang.

Stadler also succeeded in increasing its operating result (EBI). However the EBIT margin was around 6 percent lower than in the previous year and failed to meet expectations. Postponements and extra costs for individual orders, particularly with regard to the East Anglia project had a major impact on the result

unquote

https://www.stadlerrail.com/media/pdf/2020_0131_media release_financial year _en_link.pdf

gingerheid

Established Member
Slowly! We've had one day with only one post, but until that it was still going strong!

If 755s aren't the problem it's GA information systems. I drove this morning as the GA update told me the train was cancelled, but on arrival at work found that it ran and colleagues had been on it.

Meanwhile... Delay stats (exc weather / level crossing incidents) for an operator with a fleet of 38 highly utilised Flirts:

https://news.err.ee/1033080/elron-fined-close-to-6-000-for-2019-delays-and-cancellations

Last edited:

gingerheid

Established Member
"three cancelled journeys and slightly over 60 delayed ones through the year" - how many journeys do they make a day?

Roughly 236 journeys a day.

The stats don't include delays due to level crossing incidents or weather, though they would include signalling problems or GA style... err... "signalling problems".

While they've now had the Flirts a few years, they've run smoothly ever since introduction, which is why I had such high hopes for them here!

Last edited:

gingerheid

Established Member
6000 Euros seems tiny. Isn't that about the fine for one cancellation over here? (Given an hourly service would mean 60 delay minutes)

But then their delays were tiny!

Wasn't intending to start any of the possible offshoot discussions though, point was just that Flirts can work remarkably reliably (and in this case as part of a very well utilised fleet, as they brought unforseen success to their network).

arb

Tonight this train https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L46780/2020-02-10/detailed (16:48 Stansted to Norwich) took 8.5 minutes at Cambridge for all passengers from Stansted to empty, and then all passengers at Cambridge to board. Admittedly more passengers than usual because the previous train to Ely was cancelled, but still a shocking amount of time. The doors are really not designed for crush-loaded peak time services. It pushed what should have been an 8 minute delay for the original cancellation into Delay Repay territory!

samuelmorris

Established Member
Tonight this train https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L46780/2020-02-10/detailed (16:48 Stansted to Norwich) took 8.5 minutes at Cambridge for all passengers from Stansted to empty, and then all passengers at Cambridge to board. Admittedly more passengers than usual because the previous train to Ely was cancelled, but still a shocking amount of time. The doors are really not designed for crush-loaded peak time services. It pushed what should have been an 8 minute delay for the original cancellation into Delay Repay territory!
No way does even a crush loaded service take 8.5 minutes to unload, there must have been something going on.

arb

It genuinely took that long. I've never seen anything as painfully slow. Several minutes to unload, and then several minutes to load. No bike issues or arguments (not at my door at least, but I was at the opposite end to the bike spaces). It was all very amicable - in the last minute or so when it finally became apparent that there wouldn't be enough space for everybody, some people who were only heading for Waterbeach/Ely (next train in a few minutes) got off again to let those still on the platform wanting Norwich (next train in an hour) to get on instead. All the doors that I could see were progressing at the same slow rate, so seemingly not an issue at one door significantly slowing down the overall process. Just a huge volume of people at every door.

superjohn

Does anyone on the inside know what happened with the 1547 Cambridge to Ipswich today. It is showing as cancelled due to a train fault but the inward working arrived at Cambridge on time. As a result the 1717 Ipswich to Beccles is also cancelled, a busy train.

I have diverted via Ely to get back to Ipswich. Not much of a time saving but as the whole world is going to be on the 1647 ex Cambridge I think I’ll be better off. My intended Peterborough to Ipswich had a little falter at Manea on its inward journey but it looks to be underway again.

superjohn

Update: I now see the 1627 Norwich to Cambridge is also cancelled (good old signalling problems this time). Perhaps they are pinching the Ipswich unit for the return working of that.

superjohn

It seems the signalling problems between Ely and Norwich were genuine. At Ely the occupants of an EMR service were directed to the Ipswich train with instructions to change at Stowmarket for Norwich.

And now there is a tree on the line somewhere on the East Suffolk. I’m already on a cheapo Hare Fare, it looks like I’ll be getting the whole trip for free at this rate!

LowLevel

Established Member
It seems the signalling problems between Ely and Norwich were genuine. At Ely the occupants of an EMR service were directed to the Ipswich train with instructions to change at Stowmarket for Norwich.

And now there is a tree on the line somewhere on the East Suffolk. I’m already on a cheapo Hare Fare, it looks like I’ll be getting the whole trip for free at this rate!

The telephone concentrator for the entire Ely to Norwich line (or at least the Thetford Workstation which controls most of it) failed meaning it wasn't possible to contact the signaller from any of the level crossings and thus wasn't safe to run trains (or at least cautions would have been required in around 20ish locations which would have taken all day).

LAX54

Established Member

Tree fell from outside the NR boundry, and landed on the train ! shook the Driver somewhat, limped back to Ipswich, then C/P at 50 mph, so assume the first 755 to suffer damage ? (755331)

Signalling was a Telecoms issue, faulty 'card' knocking out phones on xings, possibly related to a UKPN issue when some cables fell.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Tree fell from outside the NR boundry, and landed on the train ! shook the Driver somewhat, limped back to Ipswich, then C/P at 50 mph, so assume the first 755 to suffer damage ? (755331).

The picture was pretty scary.