• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

superalbs

Established Member
I heard one of these at Velim test track a few days, and I was a few metres away, it was very loud. It sounded like fans were blowing very hard, sadly didn't see it moving, just heard it starting up. But they look fantastic!

Two images attached, sadly it was too far away and dark for anything good (delayed train caused me to arrive there late).

Attachments

• DSCN3327.JPG
    DSCN3327.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 196
  • DSCN3340.JPG
    DSCN3340.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 176
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
I spotted this walkthrough filmed at Innotrans - the "engine room corridor" at 1:05 has a rather marine/industrial aesthetic! I wouldn't be surprised if GA put some large vinyls on those maintenance hatches.

As long as its still bright when they do and doesn't make it dark there when passing through.

Bornin1980s

I spotted this walkthrough filmed at Innotrans - the "engine room corridor" at 1:05 has a rather marine/industrial aesthetic! I wouldn't be surprised if GA put some large vinyls on those maintenance hatches.
I would have preferred windows to the engines themselves. Maybe fire regulations put paid to that.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I hadn't appreciated that the corridor is level through most of the train- that the seats at the end of each carriage over the Jacobs bogies are raised, but there's still a low floor through the middle.

dk1

Veteran Member
Was informed yesterday that it's now the first week of November that the initial 4-car 755 arrives via the tunnel. There should then be a few more here in time for Christmas.

chubs

I hadn't appreciated that the corridor is level through most of the train- that the seats at the end of each carriage over the Jacobs bogies are raised, but there's still a low floor through the middle.

Me either, I had been wondering about the raised bits and how people (and trolleys on the intercity variant) would cope but this makes a lot more sense!

trebor79

Established Member
Do we know which routes will get the new trains first? I know it's regional and then intercity but is there any more details than that?

and any more info on whether the hourly Norwich Cambridge will be extended through to Stansted A all day from May 19 as reqd by Franchise Agreement?

dk1

Veteran Member
and any more info on whether the hourly Norwich Cambridge will be extended through to Stansted A all day from May 19 as reqd by Franchise Agreement?

From what we've been told that's all been put on the back burner with no definite date. Supposedly only the Norwich in 90 will happen in May with x2 755s. All very fluid still.

MikePJ

From what we've been told that's all been put on the back burner with no definite date. Supposedly only the Norwich in 90 will happen in May with x2 755s. All very fluid still.
It'll be interesting to see how long the acceptance testing takes. Given that this is Stadler's first train for the UK market, I would not be surprised if they find some unexpected electromagnetic compatibility gremlins.

Tam

I heard one of these at Velim test track a few days, and I was a few metres away, it was very loud. It sounded like fans were blowing very hard, sadly didn't see it moving, just heard it starting up. But they look fantastic!

It's a pity you weren't there yesterday (Friday 28th) as despite being a national holiday here, one unit was hurtling around the big circuit from around 2pm until I left around 5pm. The other unit was in the yard.

To anyone who can't get to Velim to hear one, just go to Hounslow, stand under the Heathrow flight-path and wait for a 747 to land and that will give you some idea of the sound :)

I will post some videos shortly.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
In the first video- have I missed something or is that the first we've seen of an electric set, even if static? Has it been out testing yet?

Tam

In the first video- have I missed something or is that the first we've seen of an electric set, even if static? Has it been out testing yet?

I was just about to ask about that second unit. I thought it was the same as the one in the videos, but it doesn't appear to have a separate power unit (I'm not a train guy, I'm just a cyclist with a camera). See this (rather shaky) video of the static one from the other side, through a chainlink fence unfortunately.

https://streamable.com/q40c2

Tam

...I have not seen it out testing yet. Weather permitting I will go back there tomorrow for another mooch aboot.

dp21

That is indeed 745 101. First Stansted unit. Easy way to tell the difference even just looking at the cab is that they're primarily white on the front rather than the bi mode grey.

Tam

I have some photos of the 745 at Velim, is this the correct thread to post them, or does it have a thread of its own?

pt_mad

Established Member
It's bizarre. The livery on these looks so overly perfect in terms of following the symettey and lines on the unit that I always feel photos look kind of like an artist's impression rather than totally real.

It ain't half square looking though. With that black band, the windows look very Voyager ish.

mmh

Established Member
If they're that loud on electricity what on earth are they like on diesel? At least the interior looks better than I feared, but I notice poor legroom in the window seats from the seat design and mediocre seat to window layout despite the narrow windows. The corridor through the power car looks awful I'm afraid. Why is it so narrow, and why does it need to be through the middle rather than along one side which would allow there to be windows?

Tam

Why is it so narrow, and why does it need to be through the middle rather than along one side which would allow there to be windows?

I'm guessing that both external sides are used for thermal (and possibly noise) venting, or that it's easier for maintenance access, or both.

AlexNL

Established Member
If they're that loud on electricity what on earth are they like on diesel?
Richard Clinnick posted a video of a 755/4 accelerating on diesel:

https://twitter.com/Clinnick1/status/1037681185097482240

At least the interior looks better than I feared,
GA are aiming for an intercity experience on a regional train. I think they'll do quite well. :)
but I notice poor legroom in the window seats from the seat design and mediocre seat to window layout despite the narrow windows.
I guess that's a consequence of the primary function of these units - move people. Not every passenger values a great seat-window alignment, either.
The corridor through the power car looks awful I'm afraid. Why is it so narrow, and why does it need to be through the middle rather than along one side which would allow there to be windows?

The 755/4 power pack houses 4 diesel engines. These are placed on either side of the power pack to allow good serviceability for staff, and to properly distribute the weight of the engines.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I used to hunt out the seats without windows next to them on the commute home, with a jumper placed between head and wall, they are perfect for nodding off.