• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

dk1

Veteran Member
I was wondering if anyone had any intel regarding roughly what formation would go on what services. My thinking would say that 4 Cars should go on Ipswich-Peterboroughs as they only run 1tp2h and are absolutely rammed with their 2 Car 170s.
Not sure why 4-cars on the Ipswich to Peterborough. They went down from 3 to 2-car 170s several years ago. Don't forget that route is planned to go hourly too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastdyke

Established Member
Not sure why 4-cars on the Ipswich to Peterborough. They went down from 3 to 2-car 170s several years ago. Don't forget that route is planned to go hourly too.
Hourly Ipswich - Peterborough with the availability of advance ticketing would see a step change in demand.

dk1

Veteran Member
Hourly Ipswich - Peterborough with the availability of advance ticketing would see a step change in demand.
Let's hope so. They do reasonably well but miss one & get sent via Cambridge really isn't ideal. Norwich to Peterborough has always performed better loadings wise thanks to the hourly service. Ipswich never really saw as many passengers even when it had through services to various destinations in the early Provincial Sprinter revolution days & hence why it was soon dropped from the network.

robreed90001

just out of interest, how come the Ipswich - Peterbourgh services were changed from 3 car to 2 car services?.

dk1

Veteran Member
just out of interest, how come the Ipswich - Peterbourgh services were changed from 3 car to 2 car services?.
Loadings where & still are often pretty poor. At the same time the Ipswich Cambridge service had an uplift to an hourly service & went from strength to strength. Anything that involves Cambridge is unlikely to fail.

camjkerman

Loadings where & still are often pretty poor.
They aren't poor at all. They currently use 2 car 170s (sometimes a 156 sneaks on) and the 0816 from Stowmarket (dk its Ipswich time) is always rammed, the only times I've had a seat were the couple of times I was in FC, the same (albeit slightly less so) is true for the returns, in my experience.

eastdyke

Established Member
They aren't poor at all. They currently use 2 car 170s (sometimes a 156 sneaks on) and the 0816 from Stowmarket (dk its Ipswich time) is always rammed, the only times I've had a seat were the couple of times I was in FC, the same (albeit slightly less so) is true for the returns, in my experience.
In my experience there is a huge difference in peak and off-peak loadings (not many run in the peaks!)
Introduction of advance ticketing options might help fill the off-peak services when/if the service becomes hourly.

Established Member
10.00 Ipswich to Peterborough last Friday was full (2 car 170). Everyone could have sat down if they chose to but a few preferred to stand. Occasionally first class is oversubscribed from Bury St Eds.

Loadings would improve if the service was hourly and it runs as in the bid to Colchester, which would link into a larger catchment area. But that requires getting past the obstacle that is Manningtree level crossing, and to a lesser degree Bentley and Ardleigh crossings too.

eastdyke

Established Member
And, for the service to become hourly, increased use of all those other crossings between Ipswich and Peterborough as well?

dk1

Veteran Member
Often rammed with students going to Bury. Ely-Peterborough can be fairly low compared to EM & XC.

F Great Eastern

Established Member

I've been on both the 8.03 from Ipswich (8.16 Stowmarket) and 8.20am from Ipswich (8.35 Stowmarket) both often 2 cars in the mornings where it's busy between Ipswich and Stowmarket, but there are seats free and then (on the 8.35 especially) you can see up to 100 get on at Stowmarket traveling to Bury for West Suffolk College and people are standing the whole length of the train, but the loadings are lighter after Bury where a lot of people get off.

dk1

Veteran Member
10.00 Ipswich to Peterborough last Friday was full (2 car 170). Everyone could have sat down if they chose to but a few preferred to stand. Occasionally first class is oversubscribed from Bury St Eds.

Loadings would improve if the service was hourly and it runs as in the bid to Colchester, which would link into a larger catchment area. But that requires getting past the obstacle that is Manningtree level crossing, and to a lesser degree Bentley and Ardleigh crossings too.
The 10:00 is always going to be busy as is the typical VFR as BR referred to it (Visiting friends & relations) as no other services near that golden hour & advance purchase can often assist with this. Trouble is with off peak is that passengers all go on the train that's convenient for them. Offer a few discounted tickets later & they change their minds. Everyone loves a bargain.

Midnight Sun

Often rammed with students going to Bury. Ely-Peterborough can be fairly low compared to EM & XC.

Then why is always packed when I use it between Ely and Peterborough? I normaly catch the 18.22 from Cambridge to Ely before changing on to the 18.58 Ely to Peterborough. The train arrives from Bury 90% loaded most days. But the this is still better than the 18.01 XC Sweatbox to New Street which is about 50% overloaded Monday to Friday. I used the GA service most times of the day the trains are well filled.

bnsf734

Interesting how it came without any form of Barrier/Translator vehicles. Most brand new vehicles seem to arrive with a large collection of containers to act as brake force.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Interesting how it came without any form of Barrier/Translator vehicles. Most brand new vehicles seem to arrive with a large collection of containers to act as brake force.

It’s to do with the brake pipe of the train. The freight loco can use the brakes of the train it’s towing.

trebor79

Established Member
Did I read in a post somewhere that these units may cause timetable impacts because it takes 10 minutes the change ends?
Is that right? How can it take so long to change ends, does the unit shut down completely whilst the driver is walking to the other cab?

MisterT

Did I read in a post somewhere that these units may cause timetable impacts because it takes 10 minutes the change ends?
Is that right? How can it take so long to change ends, does the unit shut down completely whilst the driver is walking to the other cab?
I don't know anything about the English FLIRT or any English safety systems installed, but the European counterpart has a regular (short) turnaround time:
Enable parking mode, key out, walk to the other side, key in, confirm train configuration, perform a quick brake test and that's it. I think it would take 90 seconds to set up, including brake tests.
The only way it would take 10 minutes is the time to walk for the 12 car units.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
it sounds like the sort of wibble that emerges from the first time it is tried, still with software issues, and becomes enthusiast (and even staff, prior to training) gospel, against all subsequent experience and reality

Dave1987

On Moderation

Where did you hear that from? :smile: The answer is no it won’t take 10 minutes to change ends. There are multiple stabling modes but this has nothing to do with normal cab immobilisation for changing ends. Changing ends will take exactly the same time as it currently does.

LAX54

Established Member

Why is Manningtree level crossing an 'obstacle' ? it isn't for any other train ! :)

Established Member
It’s the Network Rail level crossing risk assessment process I’m referring to. Any increase in service is modelled through that.

Manningtree level crossing obviously isn’t an obstacle to trains, but can be to road users at some times of the day.

TheEdge

Established Member
Why is Manningtree level crossing an 'obstacle' ? it isn't for any other train ! :)

I believe its more down to the amount of use its getting. The concern is with the new timetable it'll be spending more time closed than open. While Brantham was still on the table there was a possibility of it being closed for 45m a time.