• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

16.23 Norwich to Liverpool Street seems to be a 755 today.
Not good as for as long as I can remember the Sunday afternoon services to London are very busy. If they could work in multiple in passenger service I’m sure that another 755 could have been found but …

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alfie1014

Not good as for as long as I can remember the Sunday afternoon services to London are very busy. If they could work in multiple in passenger service I’m sure that another 755 could have been found but …
Mind you wasn’t it the first Sunday in many weeks (months) that Sunday through services have operated and the ‘extra’ Sunday trains including the 16:23 have run.

dk1

Veteran Member
Looks like multiple unit operation is about to start. Possibly in a somewhat hybrid method of working but who cares? It’s happening!!

Looks like multiple unit operation is about to start. Possibly in a somewhat hybrid method of working but who cares? It’s happening!!
What services does it look like theyre gonna work, i know it would be an educated guess at this point

Welcome news on a day when the first off peak to London was four coaches.

dk1

Veteran Member
What services does it look like theyre gonna work, i know it would be an educated guess at this point
I don’t know of any definite service plans but will certainly be a huge help if short of 745s now trains are so busy once again.

Abbo

Welcome news on a day when the first off peak to London was four coaches.
Somebody has asked me if I knew why the 0803 today was a 1x4 755 and if it went all the way to London. Fid it and was it because there is a shortage of 745s ? Thanks in advance.

dk1

Veteran Member
Somebody has asked me if I knew why the 0803 today was a 1x4 755 and if it went all the way to London. Fid it and was it because there is a shortage of 745s ? Thanks in advance.
Usually fast to/from Ipswich but can change. Purely due to a 745 shortage of availability.

412/407/334 are on a couple of Q working trips between Norwich and Ipswich today.

delticdave

When a 3 car is involved and coupled in a certain formation the pans are too close together so one unit will run on electric while the other
I didn't know that the 3-car units only had one pan. I'm surprised that two driving cars aren't enough distance between to cause a problem.
The GE mainline does see some freight workings powered by 2 x e-loks & the distance between pans can be a lot less than two 755 driving cars.

AC47461

I didn't know that the 3-car units only had one pan. I'm surprised that two driving cars aren't enough distance between to cause a problem.
The GE mainline does see some freight workings powered by 2 x e-loks & the distance between pans can be a lot less than two 755 driving cars.

I would imagine speed is the issue there. I'm not sure what the maximum speed for a freightliner would be (75mph?) but it'll be a lot less than the 100+ the 755s can achieve. And the acceleration may also make a massive difference to the way the wires react to the pans as well.

All the 755s only have one pan each. The 745s have two, and they are effectively 2 6-car units coupled together, but actually still only use one at a time.

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
I would imagine speed is the issue there. I'm not sure what the maximum speed for a freightliner would be (75mph?) but it'll be a lot less than the 100+ the 755s can achieve. And the acceleration may also make a massive difference to the way the wires react to the pans as well.
A 3-car 755 is the fastest accelerating EMU in the UK.

trebor79

Established Member

All the 755s only have one pan each. The 745s have two, and they are effectively 2 6-car units coupled together, but actually still only use one at a time.
I'm almost certain that the 4 car 755's have 2 pans.

dk1

Veteran Member
It’s all to do with 90s having ‘grandfather’ rights on the network. That doesn’t apply to new rolling stock with possible short distance between pans.

trebor79

Established Member
It’s all to do with 90s having ‘grandfather’ rights on the network. That doesn’t apply to new rolling stock with possible short distance between pans.
Seems a bit obtuse though doesn't it? It's either alright or it's not, and the 90s working in multiple prove it's alright.
Diesel under the wires is ridiculous.

delticdave

Thanks, I'd think that the worst multiple pantographs scenario in the UK would have been 2 x 76's (AKA EM1's) working uphill to the Woodhead Tunnel. Four pantographs under 1.5 kV DC would be sucking down quite a few amps..... Still, the heavy-duty catenary were designed for the job, as was Liv. St to Shenfield... There are pix of pairs of EM1's on test working up Brentwood bank, before their own line was ready for them.

dk1

Veteran Member
Seems a bit obtuse though doesn't it? It's either alright or it's not, and the 90s working in multiple prove it's alright.
Diesel under the wires is ridiculous.
It’s just one of those things unfortunately. Same as 9-car HSTs being allowed to call at Dawlish Warren but 8-car Voyagers can’t. Lots of stuff like that on the railway.

Thanks, I'd think that the worst multiple pantographs scenario in the UK would have been 2 x 76's (AKA EM1's) working uphill to the Woodhead Tunnel. Four pantographs under 1.5 kV DC would be sucking down quite a few amps..... Still, the heavy-duty catenary were designed for the job, as was Liv. St to Shenfield... There are pix of pairs of EM1's on test working up Brentwood bank, before their own line was ready for them.

It’s weird because on testing I take x3 755s of varying 3/4 car length in multiple on 100mph testing all coupled & nobody bats an eyelid. It all seems to change once passengers are aboard for some reason.

On Moderation
There's a difference in speed, though, as the 90s are limited to 75mph on freight whereas the 755s are working at 100mph. As speed increases the forces involved increase significantly.

100andthirty

Provided there's a 25 kV or lower voltage electrical connection between power cars, then only one pantograph isn't a problem Class 755 have a power connection between power cars in order to distribute the power from the diesel generators. Many types of train have two pantographs, but equally many types have only one. Pendolinos, for example, have two pantographs but only use one at a time. Conversely, Desiro and Electrostar 4-car units only have one pantograph, and if run in multiple have to have all the pantographs raised.

Single pantograph units have been operated for decades very reliably. In the particular case of the class 755s, if the pantograph were to fail, they would still be able to get out of the way on diesel power!