• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Milo T.K

Thus causing a stink at Liverpool Street and putting off travellers as a result!
Diesel on a 755 is fine unlike e.g a 37 which made some of my colleagues I'll from the fumes unlike the 755 in which there was no stink and barely anyone noticed it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
Does anyone know why the air conditioning/ventilation gets noticeably noisier when these units are at a stand? It's particularly noticeable when stopped somewhere other than a station (I guess because at stations there's a hustle and bustle drowning it out).

dm1

It's possible that it's not the HVAC system getting louder, but the cooling systems for the traction motors and electronics.

When the train is moving, there is natural air flow through the system so less forced ventillation is needed. This is not true when the train is standing still.

Alfie1014

2 x 755/4s worked the 09:00 NOR-LST and 11:30 return today with the ‘booked’ 12:32 Up and 15:00 return worked by 745104.

dk1

Veteran Member
2 x 755/4s worked the 09:00 NOR-LST and 11:30 return today with the ‘booked’ 12:32 Up and 15:00 return worked by 745104.
Think that was due to 745 on the 06:39 Ipswich-Norwich failing before departure with pantograph issues.

Sleepy

Established Member
Think that was due to 745 on the 06:39 Ipswich-Norwich failing before departure with pantograph issues.
Think it was the 0530 1P03 which had pan issues, stock was taken from 0639 to work to London. Failure dragged back to Norwich by 755.

dk1

Veteran Member
Think it was the 0530 1P03 which had pan issues, stock was taken from 0639 to work to London. Failure dragged back to Norwich by 755.
Only saw about the 06:39 so didn’t pay much attention after that.

755s failed before departure today (Thursday) & booked 745 had gone to the depot resulting in 12:32/15:00 being cancelled.

No 755s out on P37/38 today (Friday) either.

Last edited:

Shunter_69

Out of curiosity, when a 755 is on diesel it shuts down and locks the doors after 20 mins without a key in. How does it work when in multiple and one unit is on electric and the other is on diesel?

TheEdge

Established Member
Out of curiosity, when a 755 is on diesel it shuts down and locks the doors after 20 mins without a key in. How does it work when in multiple and one unit is on electric and the other is on diesel?

In multiple if both units are shut down the same rules applies, although it's 30 minutes before they shut down now, they got updated. Not sure about half and half though as they don't share supply, only TCMS function.

Shunter_69

Glad they’ve updated that, I’ve seen it a few times when it was 20 mins and people have been locked in the train.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Does anyone know why the air conditioning/ventilation gets noticeably noisier when these units are at a stand? It's particularly noticeable when stopped somewhere other than a station (I guess because at stations there's a hustle and bustle drowning it out).
It's possible that it's not the HVAC system getting louder, but the cooling systems for the traction motors and electronics.

When the train is moving, there is natural air flow through the system so less forced ventillation is needed. This is not true when the train is standing still.
755s have rheostatic braking with the resistor grids on the roof - if these are fan cooled that might also account for extra fan noise after braking to a stop.

AM9

Veteran Member
755s have rheostatic braking with the resistor grids on the roof - if these are fan cooled that might also account for extra fan noise after braking to a stop.
I would assume that when the 755s are running on ac, the kinetic energy would be dissipated by regen back into the OLE.

ac6000cw

Established Member
I would assume that when the 755s are running on ac, the kinetic energy would be dissipated by regen back into the OLE.
AFAIK, based on what's been posted on the forum, yes the 755s have rheostatic & regen, 745s regen only.

dk1

Veteran Member
They still get locked on the train even with 30 minutes! Dangerous really.
I try to leave a key in if in platform 6 at Norwich or if pans are isolated.

If it’s going to be a long while (& it’s not my last bit) then I will lock it up.

AM9

Veteran Member
AFAIK, based on what's been posted on the forum, yes the 755s have rheostatic & regen, 745s regen only.
I would assume that (although some EMUs have rhestatic loads for when the OLE doesn't take a return current). Anyway, my point is that a 755 under wires would normally use regen, so there would be no resistance cooling required when the train brakes are applied.

Came up to Norwich for a ride or two on a 755 today, - sat waiting on the 12:36 to Yarmouth then it was cancelled because of broken rail - Lowestoft services out as well, so no chance to do the East Suffolk line. On 13:00 back.to Ipswich to try the Felixstowe beach, not much of a test there. 745s OK, but a bit clunky at the Jacobs bogie ends.

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
Anyway, my point is that a 755 under wires would normally use regen, so there would be no resistance cooling required when the train brakes are applied.
I agree, but @trebor79 didn't specify if it was running in diesel or OLE mode when it got noisier after stopping.

Bringback309s

Apparently, a 755 is doing training runs to Clacton this week - is this for Clacton drivers and future 745's?

gingerheid

Established Member
Very random question time :)

Is there anywhere in the UK that would be able to do heavy repairs to a damaged 755, or would it have to go to Switzerland?

The reason I ask is that one of Estonia's Flirts was damaged in a level crossing incident (pictures giving an idea of the extent of the damage at https://tartu.postimees.ee/7474884/...-reisirongile-ette-kummekond-inimest-sai-viga, loading onto trailer at JDEFUHMmbWA ). Of course with a fleet of a similar size to Greater Anglia's it's been sent to Switzerland on a low loader as they don't have the facility to do such a repair. I'm imagining we also lack such facilities, and that it would further be quite difficult for us to send a unit on such a journey?

Mowgli

Very random question time :)

Is there anywhere in the UK that would be able to do heavy repairs to a damaged 755, or would it have to go to Switzerland?

The reason I ask is that one of Estonia's Flirts was damaged in a level crossing incident (pictures giving an idea of the extent of the damage at https://tartu.postimees.ee/7474884/...-reisirongile-ette-kummekond-inimest-sai-viga, loading onto trailer at JDEFUHMmbWA ). Of course with a fleet of a similar size to Greater Anglia's it's been sent to Switzerland on a low loader as they don't have the facility to do such a repair. I'm imagining we also lack such facilities, and that it would further be quite difficult for us to send a unit on such a journey?
I reckon any heavily damaged 755 would just be dumped into the Wensum sidings at Crown Point and salvaged for parts!

TheEdge

Established Member
Brodies is another option, the straightened out the damage to 170204 a few years ago.

That being said the 350s involved in the Watford Tunnel crash were both sent back to Siemens in Germany for repair. It may be down to insurers, owners, operators and builders to decide who has to fix the damage.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Brodies is another option, the straightened out the damage to 170204 a few years ago.

That being said the 350s involved in the Watford Tunnel crash were both sent back to Siemens in Germany for repair. It may be down to insurers, owners, operators and builders to decide who has to fix the damage.
If the manufacturers aren't offering a repair option on the contract, then it goes to whoever has the lowest quote for the work.

BrettSy96

Sorry if it’s been mentioned but I just saw 755417, and saw some purple logo just under the cab windows, couldn’t really make it out as it past my train so didn’t have time to read what it said?

dk1

Veteran Member
Sorry if it’s been mentioned but I just saw 755417, and saw some purple logo just under the cab windows, couldn’t really make it out as it past my train so didn’t have time to read what it said?

Attachments

• 2788C6B0-40F3-4B03-8403-B785859D1061.jpeg
    2788C6B0-40F3-4B03-8403-B785859D1061.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 38