• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

TheEdge

Established Member
Are there places where 3 cars is the max that will fit?

Only problem with these units is that there arnt more of them across the country.

There are plenty of platforms too short for a 4 car but we just use ASDO for that.

The only line where 4 cars are not allowed is Marks Tey - Sudbury.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ic31420

There are plenty of platforms too short for a 4 car but we just use ASDO for that.

The only line where 4 cars are not allowed is Marks Tey - Sudbury.
Understood

I just wish all had been 4 car, surely would make diagramming easier.

Do any services work with 2x units multied?

Have the over heating trash cupboards been fettled?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
But having travelled recently on the Swiss Treno Gottardo - it strikes me how much better the 745's and 755's could have been - high definition colour information displays, the onboard vending machines for drinks and snacks. Our full size tables are better though!
This is just it, I have to say. The GA stock are so very dull when compared with similar FLIRTSs, and of course the Giruno - which although is meant for longer distances in turn doesn’t strike me as entirely suitable for journeys of 2/3 hours+.

TheEdge

Established Member
I just wish all had been 4 car, surely would make diagramming easier.

Not really. Apart from the Sudbury branch anything can go anywhere. Units are allocated to diagrams as they come good overnight rather than pre allocated. The only rules are diagrams with a Sudbury link in them need to be a 3 and certain diagrams should preferably be a 4 car. But there is enough slack that it's rarely an issue.

Do any services work with 2x units multied?

If 745 availability is poor then two 4 cars can go to London, I forget which they try to use them on but it's one of the quiet middle of the day trips. But no local trips.

Have the over heating trash cupboards been fettled?

What?

saxsux

Yes. Unfortunately I cant remember where though.
Gunton's one station where a four car unit can't fit on the usable length of the platform. Usually the rear carriage isn't platformed.

What's frustrating is this is often the bike space. The staff rarely notice it will be an issue and don't announce it, there's no posters or signs at the station, and nothing on the website. Somebody hoping to take their bike off at Gunton would hear an automatic announcement about 6 minutes before they arrive, and in that time need to squeeze their bike and luggage through to the next carriage (it's a narrow aisle, and twists around the back of the disabled toilet, so this is surprisingly difficult) or be overcarried to the next station.

Because 755/3s are also used on the line, and a 755/4 is only affected when the bike space is trailling, it's possible to make the journey uneventfully several times before getting caught out.

There's nothing much near Gunton station but it's a really useful railhead for nearby villages, so cycling to/from there makes a lot of sense - the photo on the station's Wikipedia article even shows a group loading their bikes onto the train!

It's one of the few things about the 755's that's disappointing, and I wish GA would handle it better, but it seems to have been completely overlooked.

dk1

Veteran Member
The reopened (& rebuilt) restaurant at Gunton is giving the railway good trade. I've picked up groups of well dressed passengers on the 21:10 & 22:17 from Sheringham recently on Friday/Saturday evenings. It's a pretty well used little station throughout the day.

TheEdge

Established Member
Gunton's one station where a four car unit can't fit on the usable length of the platform. Usually the rear carriage isn't platformed.

Well the full list for the Norfolk locals is; Brundall Gardens, Buckenham, Berney Arms, Haddiscoe (Norwich bound), Halesworth, Darsham (Ipswich bound), Melton (Lowestoft bound), Worsted (Norwich bound), Gunton, Roughton Road and Spooner Row. I'm sure there are others on the Ipswich routes but I don't sign them.

It's one of the few things about the 755's that's disappointing, and I wish GA would handle it better, but it seems to have been completely overlooked.

Unfortunately its the way they've been laid out and its a compromise. The only way to make sure the bike area would always be platformed is to have it in Coach C, but you've already got both toilets and the disabled area in there so add bikes too and you'd near enough have a vehicle with no seating. Coach B doesn't exist on the 3 cars which is why it has no facilities or equipment in it and A and D are the ASDO vehicles so anything in there is at risk.

All that being said its not a massive issue, I've been driving them since almost their introduction and I've seen it the grand total of once. And in that case it took the gent practically no time to get to the right door down the train.

RailWonderer

Established Member
The Stadlers have really transformed East Anglia services to Ipswich and beyond. I always choose a 745 service when travelling beyond Colchester. The 745's are an improved travelling environment for mainline passengers - easier access onto and through the train, more seats brighter cleaner more accesible. What strikes me is how the regional services - once the poor mans relation - (running Class 155 and 156's previously) are now genuinely on a par with the mainline except for service frequency.
But having travelled recently on the Swiss Treno Gottardo - it strikes me how much better the 745's and 755's could have been - high definition colour information displays, the onboard vending machines for drinks and snacks. Our full size tables are better though!
I prefer the 745s buffet to vending machines, and the 755s don't run long enough distances to need catering, besides the Norwich - Stansted but few people will do the full 2 hours anyway. The screens are fine, GA just use a white on black to show the stations and destination. If you mean the screens in the vestibules, then yes, other stock like the 195s have them as do the refurbed 350s and 185s so a bit of a missed opportunity on the 755s but of course they're still brilliant.

AM9

Veteran Member
I prefer the 745s buffet to vending machines, and the 755s don't run long enough distances to need catering, besides the Norwich - Stansted but few people will do the full 2 hours anyway. The screens are fine, GA just use a white on black to show the stations and destination. If you mean the screens in the vestibules, then yes, other stock like the 195s have them as do the refurbed 350s and 185s so a bit of a missed opportunity on the 755s but of course they're still brilliant.
If the configuration ordered was determined by the best seen in every other example across the world (or even just Europe), I'm sure that Stadler would be only too pleased to supply, - but the DfT or ROSco might decide the the lily had been over gilded. Better to get the important features included and secure new trains. I found them to be perfectly adequate and I did the full journey, i.e. Stratford to Norwich.

saxsux

The reopened (& rebuilt) restaurant at Gunton is giving the railway good trade. I've picked up groups of well dressed passengers on the 21:10 & 22:17 from Sheringham recently on Friday/Saturday evenings. It's a pretty well used little station throughout the day.
Mmmm! The restaurant does look very good. I've popped into the pub for a pint a couple of times and it's very smartly done up.

Well the full list for the Norfolk locals is; Brundall Gardens, Buckenham, Berney Arms, Haddiscoe (Norwich bound), Halesworth, Darsham (Ipswich bound), Melton (Lowestoft bound), Worsted (Norwich bound), Gunton, Roughton Road and Spooner Row. I'm sure there are others on the Ipswich routes but I don't sign them.

Unfortunately its the way they've been laid out and its a compromise. The only way to make sure the bike area would always be platformed is to have it in Coach C, but you've already got both toilets and the disabled area in there so add bikes too and you'd near enough have a vehicle with no seating. Coach B doesn't exist on the 3 cars which is why it has no facilities or equipment in it and A and D are the ASDO vehicles so anything in there is at risk.

All that being said its not a massive issue, I've been driving them since almost their introduction and I've seen it the grand total of once. And in that case it took the gent practically no time to get to the right door down the train.

Well it's good to know there's a list somewhere, thank you!

When it happened to me, I had to flip my bike onto the back wheel and push it down the aisle with the pedals at seated passengers' eye level, while the train was moving. It felt like it could easily have resulted in an accident. It's a huge surprise compared to how painlessly straightforward it is to get bikes on and off the 755s normally.
I'd previously had many successful 755/3 trips and encouraged friends and family to cycle to and from Gunton (including my 60-year old dad - now I realise there's no way he'd have been able to get his bike out). Three of us actually did the trip a few months prior, in hindsight I realise it was only the dumb luck of getting a 755/3 that stopped us from being overcarried - there's no way we'd have all gotten up the train in time.

There could just be separate stop boards for 755/4s depending on whether they're driven from the 'A' end or 'B' end.

Edit: Just to say, I realise this thread isn't meant for airing individual complaints, so I won't stress the point any further!

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
There could just be separate stop boards for 755/4s depending on whether they're driven from the 'A' end or 'B' end.

There are some places that can't work, such as Roughton Road. The bridge there means in one direction it's rear coach off, in the other front off. It's so if there was an ASDO fault and all the doors opened people wouldn't fall off the bridge.

As to different stop points the ASDO system isn't set up to allow that. It's not a balise system, it's GPS and location based. It just knows where you are and where you are headed then locks out doors as programmed depending on location. It doesn't account for the orientation of the train. Also changing stop points on the fly like that is just asking for driver errors and doors off the platform.

dk1

Veteran Member
Mmmm! The restaurant does look very good. I've popped into the pub for a pint a couple of times and it's very smartly done up.

When it happened to me, I had to flip my bike onto the back wheel and push it down the aisle with the pedals at seated passengers' eye level, while the train was moving. It felt like it could easily have resulted in an accident. It's a huge surprise compared to how painlessly straightforward it is to get bikes on and off the 755s normally.
I'd previously had many successful 755/3 trips and encouraged friends and family to cycle to and from Gunton (including my 60-year old dad - now I realise there's no way he'd have been able to get his bike out). Three of us actually did the trip a few months prior, in hindsight I realise it was only the dumb luck of getting a 755/3 that stopped us from being overcarried - there's no way we'd have all gotten up the train in time.

That last point would never be permitted just because of cycles. That would put more pressure on the driver & unnecessarily add to the risk of a operational incident. As also stated the situation at the likes of Roughton Road & Haddiscoe (up) would not permit this.

Tobbes

Established Member
The few times I've used a full size bike on a 755 it's been fine (Melton, Sheringham) and I'm a big fan of the FLIRTs - in my view the best regional train in the UK, and I wish it were the national standard. On London trips, my Brompton is no problem on a 745, and is actually a really good fit on the leading car of a 720, though I'd choose a FLIRT of any flavour over a 720 every time - though they themselves are a welcome improvement on the 321s!

Shwam3

It's Elmswell (Ipswich bound), Kennett, Dullingham (Ipswich bound loop platform only), Manea, Whittlesea, Marks Tey, and Sudbury on the Ipswich/Colchester routes.

stonojnr

Edit: Just to say, I realise this thread isn't meant for airing individual complaints, so I won't stress the point any further!

as there were three of you, did you fit all three on one side of the bike space out of curiosity ? or split it 2 -1 instead ?

saxsux

as there were three of you, did you fit all three on one side of the bike space out of curiosity ? or split it 2 -1 instead ?
Yeah, we easily fit on one side! I don't remember specifically, but we probably top-and-tailed by turning the second bike around to face the opposite way to the other two.

Two or three other cyclists used the other side.

The bike spaces on the Flirts are really fantastic. No faffy toastracks or grab rails getting in the way, no (IMO discriminatory) cupboards with hooks in the ceiling. Just wide, level access to a big empty space with a retaining trap. It's ideal.

delticdave

In the October "Modern Railways" (page 8) there is mention of the class 755 powerpack overheating problems. All of the 124 Deutz V8 diesel engines are to be replaced. I'm wondering if the replacements will be new &/or refurbished Deutz V8's, or some other make / model?

Shwam3

In the October "Modern Railways" (page 8) there is mention of the class 755 powerpack overheating problems. All of the 124 Deutz V8 diesel engines are to be replaced. I'm wondering if the replacements will be new &/or refurbished Deutz V8's, or some other make / model?
It will be like for like replacement.

Mikey C

Established Member
Presumably they won't be identical, or surely they'd overheat as well?

Alfie1014

321over360

I wondered what the work at Colchester depot was about?

https://twitter.com/greaterangliapr/status/1593597123311898624?s=46&t=u1yPAKzItKaKCNm1WbHn9A

“Huge fuel tanks and sanding towers are just some of the equipment being put in at #Colchester depot to service our #MarksTey – #Sudbury trains. “

Though I wonder what the business case was for what is just one unit? Though the savings on ECS to/from Crown Point may add up?
Likely for flexibility incase of any engineering works between Colchester and Norwich

dk1

Veteran Member

https://twitter.com/greaterangliapr/status/1593597123311898624?s=46&t=u1yPAKzItKaKCNm1WbHn9A

“Huge fuel tanks and sanding towers are just some of the equipment being put in at #Colchester depot to service our #MarksTey – #Sudbury trains. “

Though I wonder what the business case was for what is just one unit? Though the savings on ECS to/from Crown Point may add up?

Units where fuelled at Ipswich & Colchester by road tanker. This will stop. It’s not just about the Sudbury unit regardless of the rather misleading press release.

Shunter_69

3 units currently stabled and fuelled overnight at Colchester, Sudbury, Peterborough and the early Ipswich to Saxmundham

dk1

Veteran Member
3 units currently stabled and fuelled overnight at Colchester, Sudbury, Peterborough and the early Ipswich to Saxmundham

Yes I worked the 06:20 Saxmundham (Ipswich job) last week & thought it came from the carriage sidings but was delivered through the tunnel by a Colchester driver.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Always strikes me as a weird one that job. Are there crew facilities at Saxmundham? Or is it a flask and newspaper job?

Established Member
Finally tried it. The restaurant is tapas style, not cheap, but very good quality for a casual, or more formal meal out. The bar has good local beers too. Many years ago when the old pub used to have a beer festival, there were additional calls put in some Sheringham services.

The sanding tower looks rather over engineered compared to a bloke with a bag of sand. Looks more like a water tower for steam engines. The Peterborough and Sudbury 755s are natural starts and finishes at Colchester, but the Saxmundham unit is an odd one. Colchester Depot used to have fuelling facilities, but someone gunged the supply pipe when they were withdrawn.

Always strikes me as a weird one that job. Are there crew facilities at Saxmundham? Or is it a flask and newspaper job?
Flask and newspaper (or modern day equivalent). Timetable at that time of day gives preference to the busier Ipswich bound trains.

The few times I've used a full size bike on a 755 it's been fine (Melton, Sheringham) and I'm a big fan of the FLIRTs - in my view the best regional train in the UK, and I wish it were the national standard. On London trips, my Brompton is no problem on a 745, and is actually a really good fit on the leading car of a 720, though I'd choose a FLIRT of any flavour over a 720 every time - though they themselves are a welcome improvement on the 321s!
Travelled back from Peterborough last night on a 755/4, and I’d agree that these should be the National standard, overheating engines aside. We’ve had them a while now but they remain a pleasure to travel on.

gingerheid

Established Member
I'd honestly rather do London - Scotland on a 755 than anything that's done it in recent years other than a sleeper, or maybe a Mk 4!

Tobbes

Established Member
Flask and newspaper (or modern day equivalent). Timetable at that time of day gives preference to the busier Ipswich bound trains.
Flask and newspaper? Presumably not the normal Saxmundham (Sizewell!) flask....