• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Established Member
It will indeed need a drink, mid shift, sort of a PNB :) but assume that will be part of the diagram, between workings a quick nip into the fuelling point for a quick top up -)
That’s optimistic, the bid diagrams for Norwich locals had it down as 50% electric mileage on Sheringhams and Wherrys, there wasn’t a plan for midday fuelling as they wouldn’t need it :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastdyke

Established Member
Every unit though, or just the first? From my recollection the first unit is given a more stringent target as it's assumed that is sufficient to demonstrate the units are sufficiently reliable, the 500 miles for subsequent units simply to prove they don't have any major unit-specific defects out of the box, rather than waste energy / fuel running 2000 miles of testing for each unit, which rapidly adds up to a vast amount of mileage on big fleets.
Quite probably just the first. Subsequent units may be accepted on a lower [?500 miles] fault free operation.
For Class 331s I believe that the initial in UK type acceptance is 1500 miles fault free followed by 500 miles fault free for subsequent units.
Edited to add:
I have just found further reference to the 385s which seems to confirm 2000 miles for each unit.
https://www.railengineer.co.uk/2018/04/09/class-385-debut-further-delayed/
Part quote:
In February, Rail Engineer was invited to take a ride on a Class 385 unit during one of its mileage accumulation runs. Each unit has to complete 2,000 miles fault-free running before it can enter service.

Last edited:

trebor79

Established Member
It will indeed need a drink, mid shift, sort of a PNB :) but assume that will be part of the diagram, between workings a quick nip into the fuelling point for a quick top up -)

That won't work for the Norwich - Cambridge at least. There's only a few minutes turnaround, often eroded to nothing as a result of TSRs.
Unless the plan is to swap units onto a different diagram part way through the day.

trebor79

Established Member
That’s optimistic, the bid diagrams for Norwich locals had it down as 50% electric mileage on Sheringhams and Wherrys, there wasn’t a plan for midday fuelling as they wouldn’t need it :lol:

What planet were they on?

Roast Veg

Established Member
Quite probably just the first. Subsequent units may be accepted on a lower [?500 miles] fault free operation.
For Class 331s I believe that the initial in UK type acceptance is 1500 miles fault free followed by 500 miles fault free for subsequent units.
Edited to add:
I have just found further reference to the 385s which seems to confirm 2000 miles for each unit.
https://www.railengineer.co.uk/2018/04/09/class-385-debut-further-delayed/
Part quote:
It's possible that infrastructure plays a role in the fault free running figure - newer infrastructure on the E&G could mean a higher level of risk, and the FLIRTs can self-rescue in the event of a power supply issue.

dk1

Veteran Member
Train planning have been pulling their hair out & there will be so much dead mileage & wasted drivers hours ferrying units back & forth to refuel. Dear oh dear this is going to be chaotic fun :lol:

Grumbler

Train planning have been pulling their hair out & there will be so much dead mileage & wasted drivers hours ferrying units back & forth to refuel. Dear oh dear this is going to be chaotic fun :lol:
Can't they put pumps on the platforms?

eastdyke

Established Member
It's possible that infrastructure plays a role in the fault free running figure - newer infrastructure on the E&G could mean a higher level of risk, and the FLIRTs can self-rescue in the event of a power supply issue.
I doubt it. Fault free running is to prove the individual unit not the infrastructure. Both modes will need to be proven before acceptance into passenger service. Someone will know the figures applicable to the FLIRTs.

Mike_0ne

(long time lurker here) Wait, so they ordered these trains for these rural routes without thinking if they'd have the range to deal with it? O.o I was skeptical at the "bid team weren't communicating with the planning/timetabling teams" thing but this seems like a huge freaking over-sight, worthy of yes-minister/twenty-twelve :D

hwl

Established Member
(long time lurker here) Wait, so they ordered these trains for these rural routes without thinking if they'd have the range to deal with it? O.o I was skeptical at the "bid team weren't communicating with the planning/timetabling teams" thing but this seems like a huge freaking over-sight, worthy of yes-minister/twenty-twelve :D
The fuel tanks also had to be made smaller as the units were to heavy.
If you want proper over-sight look at their Brantham (not) depot antics and how many EMU they did order and how many they actually need...

TheBigD

Established Member

Happy to be corrected but isn't the limited range/smaller fuel tanks a necessary measure to ensure the units are light enough to run at 'SP' speeds? Or is that just another railway rumour?

hwl

Established Member
Happy to be corrected but isn't the limited range/smaller fuel tanks a necessary measure to ensure the units are light enough to run at 'SP' speeds? Or is that just another railway rumour?
Correct.

Roast Veg

Established Member
I doubt it. Fault free running is to prove the individual unit not the infrastructure. Both modes will need to be proven before acceptance into passenger service. Someone will know the figures applicable to the FLIRTs.
Although FFR is of course for the unit, the actual running miles would be subject to variation - all I'm suggesting is that the FLIRTs might be subject to the FFR of a diesel unit rather than an electric one.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
What planet were they on?

Welcome to Abellio's approach to bidding for franchises.

Get a group of bid managers to promise everyone the world and plenty of big soundbites that sound good in theory so they win the franchise and make it the problem of someone else to make it work in practice and then blame them when it all goes wrong.

Class 170101

Established Member

PNB is in at Norwich by the look of it. It shouldn't need a trip to the fuel point mid turn though. The fault free mileage route as described is electrified.

Shunter_69

The first of each variant (3 car, 4 car, airport and Inter City) needs 2500 miles fault free running and each subsequent unit requires 1500 miles

eastdyke

Established Member
The first of each variant (3 car, 4 car, airport and Inter City) needs 2500 miles fault free running and each subsequent unit requires 1500 miles
Thank you very much.
Do you know if there is any formal split for the bi-modes, ie to prove operation on each power source?
No good if all the fault free miles are under the wires when a unit is at Cromer!

Shunter_69

That split hasn’t been mentioned yet but I’m sure both modes will be tested thoroughly on each train.

Bayum

Established Member
Is the lack of range in addition to the problems with one-door entry? Or has that now been solved? What a kerfuffle!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Thank you very much.
Do you know if there is any formal split for the bi-modes, ie to prove operation on each power source?
No good if all the fault free miles are under the wires when a unit is at Cromer!
I'd guess the precedent would be the similar testing for the Class 800? and do dual voltage trains undergo a programme on each power source?

I'm not sure whether you are serious or not. I'm hoping it's the latter :lol:

Excellent. Top trolling! :lol:

I'm not sure its such a stupid idea, I seem to remember seeing fuel pumps on the platforms at Skegness last time I left there by train. I could have been mistaken, I will check this weekend when I visit. Although, even if true, it would be a relatively special case, it's the only station I know where you are not allowed on the platform until the train is waiting.

LAX54

Established Member
The 755/745's are now cleared for all routes at Norwich, and at Colchester all routes bar one. (Sudbury sdg), Somerleyton Bridge also OK now.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'm not sure its such a stupid idea, I seem to remember seeing fuel pumps on the platforms at Skegness last time I left there by train. I could have been mistaken, I will check this weekend when I visit. Although, even if true, it would be a relatively special case, it's the only station I know where you are not allowed on the platform until the train is waiting.
those are water, not fuel!