• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I have just come back from a family break staying in Greater Anglia and to be honest I was expecting the worst reading on this forum and others, but it was exactly the oppersite the staff where always happy and put a smile on your face. Another thing that I found intresting is that 75% of the time when I have seen the guards, there has been another one either making passenger announcments or helping with the ticket checks. Which although is unusual it does seem beter. There was the one time that I was going back from Ipswich to Norwich and the train was late (only about 15 minites) but the guard was out and about giving out advice on onward connections and when necessary asking controll to hold the local service for passenger of the express.
I have to say that I am very impressed with the service that they delivered when I was staying there. I wonder if i am one of a minority or there is other forum members that feel the same way as me.

Well done Abellio
Sam.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
This is great news. Often people mistake dubious stock with poor customer service but you've dispelled this in this instance.

Established Member
The conductors on the Norwich services are generally excellent, those that aren't are merely very good. Don't believe half the nonsense you read on here, sure the stock is long in the tooth, and the infrastructure knackered, but it isn't the disaster area some would have you believe.

tsr

Established Member
I would agree with the OP. Broadly, my experiences with AGA have been very positive. Even if the stock is well-used and can be a bit battered - and likewise some stations - staff usually appear very competent and have gone above reasonable expectations to help me on several occasions. I've also found disruption management to be good, provided you actually concentrate on what they're telling you. I was caught up in the aftermath of an incident in which a person was hit by a train on a busy summer Saturday evening last year, which could have been catastrophic if handled incorrectly; I was surprised at the speed of the response and the good use of available crews and stock.

LAX54

Established Member
The conductors on the Norwich services are generally excellent, those that aren't are merely very good. Don't believe half the nonsense you read on here, sure the stock is long in the tooth, and the infrastructure knackered, but it isn't the disaster area some would have you believe.

The stock maybe old, but give me a hauled set from Norwich over a 321 or 360, or even a 379, long may the Mk3's reign

HLE

Established Member
I have just come back from a family break staying in Greater Anglia and to be honest I was expecting the worst reading on this forum and others, but it was exactly the oppersite the staff where always happy and put a smile on your face. Another thing that I found intresting is that 75% of the time when I have seen the guards, there has been another one either making passenger announcments or helping with the ticket checks. Which although is unusual it does seem beter. There was the one time that I was going back from Ipswich to Norwich and the train was late (only about 15 minites) but the guard was out and about giving out advice on onward connections and when necessary asking controll to hold the local service for passenger of the express.
I have to say that I am very impressed with the service that they delivered when I was staying there. I wonder if i am one of a minority or there is other forum members that feel the same way as me.

Well done Abellio
Sam.

No not in the minority. They get a lot of stick for stuff which isn't really their fault.

Don't forget a lot of their customers will be commuting to London to work.....

TheEdge

Established Member
Its always nice when someone comes out and says the front line staff are actually quite good at their job.

Personally I know there is nothing personal is the current AGA vendetta groups and they are attacking the company as an entity but as a member of front line that stuff does grind.

You probably didn't come across me but still thanks. :)

Richard1960

I travel to Norwich,Sheringham,and Lowestoft quite often via Cambridge and the conductors are generally very good bar one or two that i do not see anymore,also the customer service staff at Norwich seem to have had a makeover, but the biggest improvement is the guy on the ticket barriers comes from London now lives in Norfolk and is very jovial had a few chats with him on a recent visit at the barriers.

Think they call him customer relations on his blue top.

The staff have got much better since i started coming up years ago.

I think stuff you read on the forum about staff may have been some time ago.:D

Last edited:

Be3G

Established Member
I'd generally say that the staff are Greater Anglia's greatest asset. Some of their trains are pretty lousy, the stations are tatty, etc. etc. (I speak as an inner-West-Anglia customer) but with only one or two exceptions I've found Greater Anglia's staff to be friendly and approachable, more so than with some other TOCs whose staff tend to come across as being a tad more… officious.

No not in the minority. They get a lot of stick for stuff which isn't really their fault.

Don't forget a lot of their customers will be commuting to London to work.....

That's where the problem is, on rural routes there is no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.