• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio train driver salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastTrax

hello all.
thanks for reading my post.
I saw the advert for Abellio trainee driver role and the salary. I read other threads in this forum saying its a job with no progression etc hence the salary is good.... I would appreciate if someone can answer my questions which are,
by how much your salary will increase once you are a qualified driver without any incidents? they have said its 57k on year 3 but will it go up by few % each year? anyone know what the maximum it will be beyond which it will not go no matter how long you have been there for?
many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The "max" it will be is 57k, that's the agreed salary for the role.

It will go up each year, the amount depends on the paydeal the union agrees. Theoretically there's no maximum it could ever be.
You also don't get your salary docked for incidents, if you remain a productive driver.

FastTrax

The "max" it will be is 57k, that's the agreed salary for the role.

It will go up each year, the amount depends on the paydeal the union agrees. Theoretically there's no maximum it could ever be.
You also don't get your salary docked for incidents, if you remain a productive driver.
many thanks. I am interested in the train driving career so was curious. thanks again

Stigy

Established Member
hello all.
thanks for reading my post.
I saw the advert for Abellio trainee driver role and the salary. I read other threads in this forum saying its a job with no progression etc hence the salary is good....
What threads have you been reading? Can’t ever recall anyone here saying it’s a job with no progression. Mainly because it’s most certainly NOT a job with no progression prospects. You can move in to management roles, control roles and switch between TOC/FOC to achieve these goals as you wish. Alternatively, you could stay as a driver and reap the benefits of the high salary and decent working week...

FastTrax

What threads have you been reading? Can’t ever recall anyone here saying it’s a job with no progression. Mainly because it’s most certainly NOT a job with no progression prospects. You can move in to management roles, control roles and switch between TOC/FOC to achieve these goals as you wish. Alternatively, you could stay as a driver and reap the benefits of the high salary and decent working week...
actually i read it in this forum people discussing about no progression and someone else with the same point as you. but good to know one can move around in areas you have mentioned. understandably the salary will not be as good as the driver. if i ever get selected i shall come here and let it be known :)
overall good forum, got a lot of information in a short time. I will be keeping an eye on this site for new info etc.
many thanks

Stigy

Established Member
actually i read it in this forum people discussing about no progression and someone else with the same point as you. but good to know one can move around in areas you have mentioned. understandably the salary will not be as good as the driver. if i ever get selected i shall come here and let it be known :)
overall good forum, got a lot of information in a short time. I will be keeping an eye on this site for new info etc.
many thanks
There’s equally high salaries as those of a train driver to be had elsewhere in the industry too.

LCC106

Established Member
Not sure why you say the salary will never be as good as a driver. A trainee driver role will, on successful completion of training, lead to a qualified driver role. Some companies will take a couple of years to attain full salary. Some companies pay a lot more than others but that’s sometimes because the Union have “sold” some of their better terms and conditions for it. So somewhere like Northern may only move your start time by up to two hours either way when on a spare shift (for example) whereas companies paying £10k more may move you up to 12 hours either way, which could mess up your social life if you want to arrange a beer with the lads the night before. The salary has nothing to do with no chances of progression. Admittedly you probably wouldn’t fancy a job stacking shelves at not much more than minimum wage after being on such a good wage as a driver!

theironroad

Established Member
There is no automatic salary progression as a driver. A driver with 20 years experience won't get anymore than a driver with 10 years (at same depot/location/company)

You do generally get a annual pay rise but that is based on inflation (rpi definition).

Only other progression is usually if you take on instructing duties , so you'd do 1 to 1 training of a trainee on your shift. Some companies, have assessor driver's or drivers who do some extra admin duties.

Next stage is leaving the driving grade per se and becoming a driver manager ,responsible for a team of driver's. You'd maintain your own licence as well. Then possibly depot manager. After that any other jobs would be more remote from driving, such as control or operation standards, but then you may take a pay cut , especially initially.

theironroad

Established Member
There’s equally high salaries as those of a train driver to be had elsewhere in the industry too.

I wouldn't think in massive numbers compared with driving.

Some control posts, grade 9 signalling??

Obvs some management roles , esp at exec levels have much higher salaries than any driver.

Stigy

Established Member
I wouldn't think in massive numbers compared with driving.

Some control posts, grade 9 signalling??

Obvs some management roles , esp at exec levels have much higher salaries than any driver.
Probably not in massive numbers I agree. But yes, control roles such as Incident Control Manager or Incident Controller etc. Along with Driver Manager roles and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.