• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdeen station redevelopment

Status
Not open for further replies.

windingroad

It's been a while since I've seen or heard anything new about the ongoing redevelopment of Aberdeen station. For those of you who pass through regularly, how is it looking?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

windingroad

I came through the station last week - it was still very much a building site, although I will confess I wasn't paying that much attention as I was focussed on getting home :)

Im departing from there again next week so will have a closer look!

There's some recent information here:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen-aberdeenshire/4406487/aberdeen-station-revamp/
Thanks! That's interesting. Are there any suggestions anywhere about who might end up occupying the new retail units? It would be nice to see a decent coffee shop moving in.

One thing that does bother me is that the signage font is inconsistent with other stations. Glasgow Queen Street uses the ScotRail font but this doesn't, and I've never liked "station" being included, as it usually isn't elsewhere. But hey ho!

Last edited:

D1024

Departed from here this morning...work still ongoing but looks to be not too far to go now. The new departure screens are up and the glass "box" for the new catering outlet where the old manual departure/arrival boards were looks very smart. There are 2 glass conservatory structures in front of retail units on the concourse - one is not yet complete, the other has a WH Smith and promises a coffee shop but not sure of operator for that. Hope that's of interest!

Attachments

• 20220629_110335.jpg
    20220629_110335.jpg
    842.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 20220629_110132.jpg
    20220629_110132.jpg
    968.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 20220629_093907.jpg
    20220629_093907.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 203

kkong

The new departure screens are up and the glass "box" for the new catering outlet where the old manual departure/arrival boards were looks very smart.

My understanding is the ground floor is to be the ticket office, with the first floor being the lounge for first class / sleeper passengers.

Marty82

My understanding is the ground floor is to be the ticket office, with the first floor being the lounge for first class / sleeper passengers.
Yes - that's correct as the old ticket office and first class lounge is becoming a retail unit. I suspect it may end up as an M&S Simply Food.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Yes - that's correct as the old ticket office and first class lounge is becoming a retail unit. I suspect it may end up as an M&S Simply Food.
M&S simply foods is a good shout as WH Smith actually run all the M&S simply food stores in railway stations, airports and hospital

kkong

The old ticket office / first class lounge space is planned to be a "high value retail unit".

There is another glass "retail pod" to be located behind the fencing shown in the first photo in post #4.

The north corner pavilion (next to tthe Guild Street entrance steps) is also being brought back into use - permission exists for use as a pub, cafe or retail unit, but I am not sure what the latest plan is.

M&S simply foods is a good shout as WH Smith actually run all the M&S simply food stores in railway stations, airports and hospital

it is SSP (Select Service Partner) who run these franchised outlets in stations and airports.

Attachments

• Concourse.png
    Concourse.png
    637.8 KB · Views: 54

Chrism20

Established Member
Isn't there already a big M&S food hall in Union Square albeit at the opposite end of the centre.

lachlan

Isn't there already a big M&S food hall in Union Square albeit at the opposite end of the centre.
There is, though it's too far to walk if you've got a tight connection. Plenty of other food options in Union Square and free toilets. The only thing US lacks is seating so fingers crossed there will be more seats in the new station.

Deltic1961

Seems the multi million pound development is "almost complete". New retail units of course but the victorian roof and ironwork is being left to rot. Fancy that.

So not really a refurbishment at all.

20220810_165239.jpg20220810_165355.jpg

Morayshire

Plus the roof was redone earlier. (Along with reinstating the roof to platform 7N) Still leaks but it is not as leaky as it eas before

Status
Not open for further replies.