• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdeen to Nottingham 1st or 2nd June

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisC

Established Member
I have a holiday planned and hotel booked in Aberdeen from 22nd-31st May. The day I’m due to travel back, Wednesday 31st May, is one of the ASLEF strike days. If I was able to extend my stay by one or two nights, how might a journey back to Nottingham be on either Thursday 1st or Friday 2nd June. Bearing in mind it is a Bank Holiday Week and a school holiday and there’s another strike on Saturday 3rd June. The hotel has been booked at a cancellable rate and I could just cancel and try again in the autumn but I would like to go this month if possible. Would I find too much disruption or overcrowded trains on 1st or 2nd June. I’m intending using a flexible Off Peak Return and so can be fairly flexible about which route I take. I wasn’t intending using XC but perhaps the 0820 from Aberdeen as far as Sheffield could be an option, as with it starting at Aberdeen and no changes, I ought to be able to get a seat for the whole journey quite easily if it’s running.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
On the basis of previous ASLEF strikes involving English TOCs, there isn’t likely to be much disruption on either day (perhaps early on Thursday?).

Somebody may be able to say whether the first LNER or the XC have run on post-ASLEF-strike days before, but in any case Scotrail will be running. It's not half term in Scotland either AFAIK.

In general, the middle of Spring Bank week isn't especially busy other than with day trippers, but the Friday would normally be busier, so I would try for Thursday and reserve yourself a seat on LNER or XC as you prefer, from Aberdeen or Edinburgh, as trains will be busier than they otherwise would have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.