• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdeen to south wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolos

Is it possible to travel to via dumfries from Aberdeen to South Wales with a off peak return

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Would it be fair to assert that the only walk-up off peak return fares from Aberdeen to/from South Wales destinations are either route "Any Permitted" (without any Cross London transfer Maltese symbol showing) or are alternatively (more explicitly) routed "NOT via London"?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is it possible to travel to via dumfries from Aberdeen to South Wales with a off peak return
Yes, a number of routes are permitted on an Aberdeen-Cardiff Off-Peak Return. These include travelling via Edinburgh and/or Glasgow, then via Dumfries or Lockerbie, via the WCML and its branches, then via Shrewsbury or Birmingham down to Cardiff. You can also travel via Newcastle, Derby and Birmingham - but not via London.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Would it be fair to assert that the only walk-up off peak return fares from Aberdeen to/from South Wales destinations are either route "Any Permitted" (without any Cross London transfer Maltese symbol showing) or are alternatively (more explicitly) routed "NOT via London"?
Are there any journeys that have both options?

Class800

Established Member
Can't see any. Just seems to be one or the other.
"Any permitted" can be confusing for non-experts. I know someone - not a rail enthusiast but a reasonably intelligent professional in business - who thought "any permitted" meant he was permitted to use any route at all!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
"Any permitted" can be confusing for non-experts. I know someone - not a rail enthusiast but a reasonably intelligent professional in business - who thought "any permitted" meant he was permitted to use any route at all!
Indeed. That's why I mentioned the absence of the Cross London (Maltese Cross) symbol. Good luck in negotiating the Underground between say Kings Cross and Paddington without one of them on your ticket, even if it was otherwise deemed to be an any permitted route.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are there any journeys that have both options?
Aberdeen to Bristol is available as 'not via London' and '+via London'. The latter also being valid to avoid London, as the fares are more expensive.

Aberdeen to Cardiff via London would thus be possible using an Aberdeen to Bristol '+via London' ticket and a Bristol to Cardiff ticket. Though there may be cheaper ways of making the journey - it depends on the time and date of travel.

Indeed. That's why I mentioned the absence of the Cross London (Maltese Cross) symbol. Good luck in negotiating the Underground between say Kings Cross and Paddington without one of them on your ticket.
Aberdeen to Newport has no permitted routes via London - so the fact that it's routed 'Any Permitted' doesn't really change anything. It's perhaps one of the rare occasions where a "more restrictive" route would actually be useful in indicating validity.

Class800

Established Member
Aberdeen to Newport has no permitted routes via London - so the fact that it's routed 'Any Permitted' doesn't really change anything. It's perhaps one of the rare occasions where a "more restrictive" route would actually be useful in indicating validity.
It doesn't - but someone without fares expertise could think he could use any rail route on 'any permitted' and could claim to feel mis-led. It's a broader topic that this particular fare though

Haywain

Veteran Member
Aberdeen to Bristol is available as 'not via London' and '+via London'. The latter also being valid to avoid London, as the fares are more expensive.
I’m aware of those but that’s wasn’t what I was asking.

Envoy

Established Member
Surely, it is cheaper to do splits? See TrainTickets.com / Trainsplit.com

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Surely, it is cheaper to do splits? See TrainTickets.com / Trainsplit.com
Not necessarily. With a journey that long, if you are happy to stick to the time restrictions and don't want Advances, the through ticket will likely be cheapest. There is a saving of £11.90 available by splitting at Crewe, Shrewsbury and Cwmbran, but given that it constrains you to that route, I don't think it's a worthwhile saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.