• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abergavenny Brighton return

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM

Looking for advice on this journey with an overnight break in Haywards Heath on the outward leg.
Out Sat 16 March, rtn Tuesday 19th.
Ideally via London as the direct trains Newport to south coast get a bad rep on here! Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Presume the journey is starting in Abergavenny, so could a Super Off Peak Return (Route✠ANY PERMITTED) from Abergavenny to Brighton priced at £100-50 dated 16MCH2024 work (and finishing short on the Saturday at Haywards Heath), together with an Anytime Day Single at £8-00 for the continuation down to Brighton from Haywards Heath the day afterwards on 17MCH2024?

Edit: Corrected £8-00 ticket type.

Last edited:

BRM

Thanks. Yes starting in Abergavenny. I wondered if there was one ticket allowing a break of journey at Haywards Heath for 1 or 2 nights. The extrasingle is not much extra though.

paul1609

Established Member
If you can time it right and there's no disruption I personally think the best route is changing at Reading and Gatwick Airport. Whichever way you go via London is a bit of a faff.

BRM

If you can time it right and there's no disruption I personally think the best route is changing at Reading and Gatwick Airport. Whichever way you go via London is a bit of a faff.
I'll look into that route. Hadn't thought of that way.

paul1609

Established Member
I wouldn't say so with the Elizabeth Line making GWR Paddington to Thameslink Farringdon direct and air conditioned! :p
I think it depends on when you pass through Reading if it's with a suitable connection to the Gatwick train xx 01 ish I think off peak that is the fastest way. Reading is a better interchange than Paddington which is a bit of a scrum, Gatwick is a better interchange than Farringdon. The scenery is nicer. Farringdon is the best part of an hour to Haywards Heath on Thameslink. For many Paddington arrivals it's actually in real life (ignoring the minimum connection time) much quicker to get the circle line to Victoria and Southern to Haywards Heath.

Veteran Member
I think it depends on when you pass through Reading if it's with a suitable connection to the Gatwick train xx 01 ish I think off peak that is the fastest way.
Just to note that the service is half hourly from next month, which is a plus.

winks

Are you sure as I’ve checked on the 10th Dec and it still appears as hourly. XX01

RJ

Established Member
Thanks. Yes starting in Abergavenny. I wondered if there was one ticket allowing a break of journey at Haywards Heath for 1 or 2 nights. The extrasingle is not much extra though.

There is indeed - this one.

I’d go with the suggestion in post #2 personally.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.