• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accepted at Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Yeoman

Hi all,

I was accepted for the conductor role at Northern - Newcastle on May 8th. I've been told the next step is a medical and a course placement but haven't heard anything back since then.

Has anyone else passed at Newcastle lately and how long did the process take?

Thanks everyone

Paul

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dilbertphil

Welcome to the railway, you should already be used to the slow recruitment process having got this far. Dont be surprised if you hear something tomorrow or not for another six weeks. It's just how it is on the railway. Dont worry about it and enjoy your new job.

Anton Wright

Hi Paul
I also got the confirmation on the 8th May that I had passed the interview stage and now just waiting on my medical date with Northern at Newcastle. I'm just being very patient at the min. The wait will be worth it

Paul Yeoman

Hi Paul
I also got the confirmation on the 8th May that I had passed the interview stage and now just waiting on my medical date with Northern at Newcastle. I'm just being very patient at the min. The wait will be worth it
Good to know it's not just me and you're both right, it will be worth it!

CreamNCookies

Hey lad,

SO i'm in exactly the same boat as you, for Newcastle too (Now I wonder if we were in the same group :lol: ). I contacted someone from recruitment and got a reply yesterday basically saying to hold tight and they will get in contact with me when a start date becomes available.

I was nervous because of notice periods, but was told they will "give candidates enough time to fulfil their notice requirements."

It's a waiting game i suppose.

CreamNCookies

I'd hope that things would continue is Arriva lose the franchise... Only time will tell.

Lets hope we get contracts and stuff signed before anything does happen, then be TUPE'd over...

Although I have no idea about these things.

Anton Wright

Well surely they wouldn't be interviewing hundreds of candidates and putting them all through 12 weeks of training at their expense if this really was the case.
Not sure what the politics of it is but it would be pretty soul destroying if you have applied for a role, waited 10 month while doing interviews and assessments to be told that you cant go any further.

jonnyfan

I've passed the interview and have now had my medical, however it feels like it's taking an age to hear anything back! Anyone know who would be best to contact? My previous contact at recruitment has left!

Class-jnr

Hey all, may I asked the online assessment that you sat for the conductor role.

When I took the number reasoning section did you find it extremely harder than you expected? Did you finish the exam? Or any top tips!

Anton Wright

Hey all, may I asked the online assessment that you sat for the conductor role.

When I took the number reasoning section did you find it extremely harder than you expected? Did you finish the exam? Or any top tips!
Hi m8
I'm ok with numeracy but it did test me in places. I think it was well above GCSE level. I did the practice ones on the shl website and doing them over and over again helped as they are quite similar. It's just a matter of practice and plenty of it. Hope you get a good reply back

Class-jnr

Hi m8
I'm ok with numeracy but it did test me in places. I think it was well above GCSE level. I did the practice ones on the shl website and doing them over and over again helped as they are quite similar. It's just a matter of practice and plenty of it. Hope you get a good reply back

Oh sadly I failed, made me really rethink about the role. It would be a pay cut but it’s something I have always dreamed of being on the rail and working towards a driver role.
Do you know if you can access the shl website after you have taken the exams?

Anton Wright

Yeah it's a pay cut for me too but the prospects in the long run will be massive, it's only 3 months training. I want to work towards a driver role and plan to do this within two to three years.
I think you can access the practice tests on their website at any time. There are phone apps that I used too on numerical reasoning and everything else.

Anton Wright

Hi all,

I was accepted for the conductor role at Northern - Newcastle on May 8th. I've been told the next step is a medical and a course placement but haven't heard anything back since then.

Has anyone else passed at Newcastle lately and how long did the process take?

Thanks everyone

Paul

Have you heard anything back from Northern for the conductor role?

Status
Not open for further replies.